PDA

View Full Version : Storing Unit Extended

Beach Boy
12-03-2010, 07:49 PM
I see in some posts where some owners store their units extended. What are the advantages of storing extended? Any disadvantages?

ShrimpBurrito
12-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Advantage: can enter the unit
Disadvantages: takes more space; cannot store in a garage

I think it's as simple as that.

Dave

mcgyver210
12-04-2010, 01:34 AM
I store completely setup because we like to be able to go in & tidy up, complete projects & sometimes camp in backyard etc etc. My wife also likes to just go sit in the TM for quiet time.

We have electric hooked up also & plenty of room to leave setup.

No negatives that I have found yet but lots of positives.

Mr. Adventure
12-09-2010, 03:08 PM
I see in some posts where some owners store their units extended. What are the advantages of storing extended? Any disadvantages?

We'd worry about falling branches (smaller, better supported target when it's folded), high winds working the supports and shell contact surfaces, inability to put a cover on it (keeps it clean and reduces the force and amount of rain getting on the roof), and, of course, the homeowners' association.

Beach Boy
12-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Ah -- the evil homeowners' association, I understand. I have one of them. They are a coven of old witches.

One of the reasons that I am interested in a TM is that it appears that in the closed position that it can be easily covered. I had a 37' motorhome at one time. To haul a heavy cover to a slippery motorhome roof which is more than 20 feet off of the ground is not my cup of tea.

I wondered if storing extended had something to do with the seals or some other technical reason.

YogiCorgi
12-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Beach Boy,

I'm also interested in storing my TM extended with a cover and zippers so I can get in the door and check on things from time to time. My goal/plan is to find a high-quality cover that I can put on top of the TM while it's folded, then raise the TM with the cover already in place...no climbing on the roof to put the cover on. Once the TM is extended, I can finish installing/adjusting the cover along the sides of the TM.

I've had Adco covers in the past, but, for me, they don't hold up well...so I'm researching alternatives. If anyone stores their TM expanded with a cover, I would love feedback on this arrangement. In the mean time, here's a cover that I'm currently researching...any thoughts on this one?

http://www.rvcoversprotect.com/polyxtraveltrailer

This product is also sold by NorthernTool, but it's more expensive at that location.

Regards,
Bill

scrubjaysnest
12-10-2010, 05:06 AM
We store ours under one of those temporary carports, mostly to keep the oak leaves off which tend to stain stuff with our rain. No evil witches here our "subdivision" is called Lake Delancy Campsites. It was originally set up as hunt/fish camps.

Beach Boy
12-10-2010, 06:05 AM
Campgrounds are an exception to the HOA witches.

MisterP
12-10-2010, 06:23 AM
My TM is stored in a yard where we live, but I will not store it extended. They are too easy to break into when open. I also don't want someone trying to work their way into the trailer via the gap seals and doing damage. There is minimal risk here, but people have had stuff stolen from our yard and I don't want to take the risk.

scrubjaysnest
12-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Campgrounds are an exception to the HOA witches.
That is true but where we live you are subject to the county code enforcement cops. Campers are supposed to be enclosed, like in a barn. But then they won't let you build a house unless the building materials are stored in a building and you can't put the building on the property until the house is built. Building contractors are exempt from this rule. Its a good thing where we are at its four wheel drive to get in and out of, code enforcement doesn't have 4x4's yet

B_and_D
12-10-2010, 08:12 AM
We always keep ours opened up, and are on our 2nd Adco cover. The first one lasted 4 years, with a lot of patching. We put the cover over the trailer when it's closed, and then open it up. There is a zippered door opening that we just fold back over the roof of the trailer (and under the cover top) to keep it out of the way.

After trying many different things to keep the corners from tearing the cover, we've finally come up with using styrofoam corners from packing boxes. We wire them to the TM with that green garden wire tie that comes on a spool. I put them on after putting the cover on.

I like to be able to get in and out of the TM to check on it (or to "borrow" something from the supplies we keep out there.

countrygirl
12-10-2010, 09:41 AM
We store ours under one of those temporary carports, mostly to keep the oak leaves off which tend to stain stuff with our rain. No evil witches here our "subdivision" is called Lake Delancy Campsites. It was originally set up as hunt/fish camps.

We love "the Forest" and camp for traditional archery tournaments several times a year at the WMA in the Ocala National Forest which I think is fairly close to Lake Delancy. Does Lake Delancey campsites have electricity? I googled it and got limited info from two only two hits. It did say there was a longer list of what is not available then what is available...but for 5.00 a day I can deal with that plus...it won't look like a campground parking lot. The WMA is nice and we camp for free for the tournament for usually two and halve day...sand it is not a camp ground or parking lot. Just considering this as another option. Are pets allowed at Lake Delancey? The are not at the WMA.

countrygirl
12-10-2010, 09:42 AM
We always keep ours opened up, and are on our 2nd Adco cover. The first one lasted 4 years, with a lot of patching. We put the cover over the trailer when it's closed, and then open it up. There is a zippered door opening that we just fold back over the roof of the trailer (and under the cover top) to keep it out of the way.

After trying many different things to keep the corners from tearing the cover, we've finally come up with using styrofoam corners from packing boxes. We wire them to the TM with that green garden wire tie that comes on a spool. I put them on after putting the cover on.

I like to be able to get in and out of the TM to check on it (or to "borrow" something from the supplies we keep out there.

B and D...this is exactly how I would do it too!

Mr. Adventure
12-11-2010, 06:11 AM
Beach Boy,

I'm also interested in storing my TM extended with a cover and zippers so I can get in the door and check on things from time to time. My goal/plan is to find a high-quality cover that I can put on top of the TM while it's folded, then raise the TM with the cover already in place...no climbing on the roof to put the cover on. Once the TM is extended, I can finish installing/adjusting the cover along the sides of the TM.

I've had Adco covers in the past, but, for me, they don't hold up well...so I'm researching alternatives. If anyone stores their TM expanded with a cover, I would love feedback on this arrangement. In the mean time, here's a cover that I'm currently researching...any thoughts on this one?

http://www.rvcoversprotect.com/polyxtraveltrailer

This product is also sold by NorthernTool, but it's more expensive at that location.

Regards,
Bill

My ADCO cover is going to make it this year, but probably not next (that would be a 4 year life). I've been wondering if using one of those big Costco tarps would work just as well, as long as you put some kind of spacers on the roof to make a little air flow possible (a couple of boat fenders, perhaps).

TravlinOn
12-11-2010, 07:17 AM

I recently bought an Adco cover and it does seem big enough to put my TM extended under it but there is no zipper on mine. Did you modify your cover to have a zipper?

B_and_D
12-11-2010, 10:42 AM
The cover we bought is made for a full sized trailer. It came with a zippered door. It kind of looks like this but only has one zippered area where the door is, and we bought the one with the white, more reinforced top.

http://www.campingworld.com/order/wizard/index.cfm?skuNum=20637d&prodid=4583&rv=ttfr&cord_Group=27