PDA

View Full Version : trailmanor closed for reorginaztion

Pages : [1] 2

fairchance
09-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Looks like I picked the wrong time to buy an older TM that needs some parts. Called this AM, get a message saying trailmanor closed for reorginaztion. Hope things work out.

rumbleweed
09-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Not a good sign.

Beak12
09-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Please Please someone tell me this is not what I think. :mad:

Elidh11
09-12-2011, 05:18 PM
I'll be interested to see if Trailmanor will be at the big RV show in Hershey this week - they're on the list of exhibitors.

G-V_Driver
09-12-2011, 06:28 PM
A usually-reliable source says a change of ownership is in the offing, but otherwise business as usual. We'll see.

MisterP
09-12-2011, 08:09 PM
I'll be interested to see if Trailmanor will be at the big RV show in Hershey this week - they're on the list of exhibitors.

That is usually a dealer, not the factory.

clown9644
09-12-2011, 09:21 PM
OH NO~! I bought a Classic Cruiser by Cikira and within 6 months the closed for reorganization and have been closed for over a year, I traded it for a 2004 Trailmanor and they are closing for reorganization. I must be the kiss of death for travel trailer manufacturers.

B_and_D
09-12-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm not going to panic over this news. I'm looking forward to seeing what is in the future for Trailmanor.

wbmiller3
09-13-2011, 04:34 AM
Bummer! At least I got my lift kit just in time!

Here's hoping they emerge from the closure.

countrygirl
09-13-2011, 05:56 AM
This website is becoming more valuable by the minute. Perhaps this reorganizing will show us how much we need each other and this site.

Brittany Dogs
09-13-2011, 06:34 AM
Earlier in the economy down-turn people were turning to the RV and camping vacations as a cheaper alternative than say loading the whole family on a plane to see Mickey Mouse. Then when more people lost their job or had to take a much lower paying job, it got to the point that folks could not even afford the camping trips.

I’m no expert in how the RV/Trailer industry works but I bet there needs to be a base amount of staff necessary to make a new unit and holding some inventory like refrigerators and AC units still costs money when things are not selling.

This is sad news because the plant holds many experts and highly skilled people who have been there a long time for such a unique unit like the folding trailer line of TrailManor. Companies can pull out of a re-org but things are often not the same. They need an infusion of money and perhaps more or new investors too.

Things are not good out there. It doesn’t matter how good a company like TrailManor is, if folks are not buying new units or needing expensive repairs, they can’t keep the lights on. This economy needs to turn around. Be careful who you vote for in 2012.

G-V_Driver
09-13-2011, 08:01 AM
I talked to a couple of TM dealers yesterday. During our conversations, I made the observation that the TrailManor product line is wonderful for those who like the combination of benefits it provides, but that they are a very expensive low-volume niche product (when compared to other trailer lines) and that a customer "must really be looking for one" in order for the dealer to make a sale when a prospect shows up at their lot. Both were quick to agree.

Kwantau
09-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Just talked to one of the factory reps who I know personally to find out if some parts coming to me under warrantee were on their way. I asked him about the reorg and he told me that a new investor has bought into the company and when that happens all the books are opened up and gone through but that it is business as ussual. So that was one of the reasons for the shutdown and the labor day closure at the same time. Hope that will quiet some fears. He will call me back later today about the parts I"m getting and I will update the rest of you if there is any other news.

Hans & Riet

fairchance
09-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Just talked to one of the factory reps who I know personally to find out if some parts coming to me under warrantee were on their way. I asked him about the reorg and he told me that a new investor has bought into the company and when that happens all the books are opened up and gone through but that it is business as ussual. So that was one of the reasons for the shutdown and the labor day closure at the same time. Hope that will quiet some fears. He will call me back later today about the parts I"m getting and I will update the rest of you if there is any other news.

Hans & Riet

Why in the world wouldn't they put that on their answering machine!

Kwantau
09-13-2011, 09:37 AM
The reps exact personal observation that they should have put something on their website or phone message

clown9644
09-13-2011, 11:27 AM
This website is becoming more valuable by the minute. Perhaps this reorganizing will show us how much we need each other and this site.

Well Countrygirl it also shows a problem we may have, along with the Trailblazers. Both rely on the Trailmanor web page and even to collect the dues for the blazers. Those in charge of this group and the blazers may need to come up with an alternate plan, and quick. I hope there is not an issue, but one never knows!!

kempert
09-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Folks, there's nothing to see here so please move along.
Please do not overreact to the unknown like "chicken little."
If someone bought into the company, why would they not want to make it work?

commodor47
09-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Well Countrygirl it also shows a problem we may have, along with the Trailblazers. Both rely on the Trailmanor web page and even to collect the dues for the blazers. Those in charge of this group and the blazers may need to come up with an alternate plan, and quick. I hope there is not an issue, but one never knows!!

Dave,

Just a point of clarification: TrailBlazers is member owned club and is not affiliated with the factory. Check their website: http://home.comcast.net/~tmtrailblazers/ (http://home.comcast.net/%7Etmtrailblazers/) and you will note it is not part of the Trailmanor.com website - even though there is a link to the club. There is a listing of the Trailblazers Constitution under the "Misc. info" button on the left hand side of their website.

Dick

clown9644
09-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Wow Dick you are so right. I have no idea how I thought the check and membership form was mailed to Trailmanor. My bad and thanks for correcting it.
Dave

Bluegrass
09-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Folks, there's nothing to see here so please move along.
Please do not overreact to the unknown like "chicken little."
If someone bought into the company, why would they not want to make it work?

Well, for one thing, I've never heard of a company shutting down while a new investor goes over the books as has been reported here. That's not the way it works. When a company closes "until further notice," it's because they are out of money.

Further, you **never** count on new investment until the money is in the bank. Too many ways it can go wrong. Tell us someone has bought into the company and I'll relax.

Short of other evidence, I think there is plenty of reason to be concerned.

Keith

HIKERZ
09-14-2011, 06:57 AM
looks like the curtains(I ordered in June) and my door latch may be in peril

Bill
09-14-2011, 07:03 AM
... it also shows a problem we may have... [We] rely on the Trailmanor web page. Those in charge of this group may need to come up with an alternate plan, and quick.While I would hate to have the factory go down, I'm not sure that it would present a huge problem for our Forum. The TMO Forum is a stand-alone organization, and is not connected with TrailManor in any way. And the TrailManor web pages are archived, so they would still be accessible.

Bill

rumbleweed
09-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Other than the frame, shells and a few options ( cabinets) most of the components are standard third party items so many repairs/replacements might not be a problem. If TM does not survive, I hope they will at least publish a list of all their suppliers by item so that their loyal customers can continue to enjoy their TM's. It might not be a bad idea to start a thread to collect that info from anyone who has had experience replacing items.

Shandysplace
09-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Does anyone have any idea how much the value of TMs would drop if the factory closes, particularly Elkmonts?

clown9644
09-14-2011, 10:07 AM
I can only reflect on my experience with my Cikira 16ft Classic Cruiser. I lost a little over $6000 off book. Yes I know I bought a 2008 in 2010 and that there is a huge hit when you drive off the lot. The only salvation is the seller of the TM had no idea what they had, they had no idea how to adjust the shells which were way out of adjustment and there was a minor leak on the roof. I let them do what they wanted with my trade in and plowed into them for the TM, getting it for about $7000 off book. I came out ok because of the dealer having trouble selling the TM where there was no dealer nor users I guess and they really wanted it off their lot. I worked on the issues for 3 days, had my local dealer adjust the shell and replace brakes, now I am making the TM mine with mods.
Dave

Shandysplace
09-14-2011, 11:08 AM
A couple of days ago I sent a link to this thread to our dealer, Matt Thacker of Custom RV, Anaheim and the West Coast Rep for TrailManor and asked him to comment. Below is his response verbatim:

You can tell everybody not to worry. TrailManor is still taking orders (although lead time has extended a couple of weeks) and we are ordering units for the Pomona show and for retail sales we have done in the past week or so. They also have a fairly decent backlog of units to be shipped to China in the coming year (12 have gone so far, 2 as late as yesterday from our lot to the port of Long Beach and the China dealer is estimating a lot more!). I would imagine parts shipments might be delayed as they finish their work up there. Reading the entire clip of the blog, it seems to have people in a frenzy. Bob has assured us to keep up the selling and the units will come shortly. I also think that most of the dealers have a pretty good inventory, so the couple of week slowdown in TN shouldn’t slow any of the dealers down as most of the east coast is slowing down because of the winter. It may only make our lead time in the west a tad bit longer through December or so.

Hope this puts everyone's mind at ease.

Elidh11
09-14-2011, 11:14 AM
You can tell everybody not to worry. TrailManor is still taking orders

That's a relief!

rjlwork
09-14-2011, 01:40 PM
We were just at the factory on the Friday morning before Labor Day! Got some parts from Eddie, had a nice talk with Ed and absolutely NO COMMENT about any of this :SHOCKED:! The factory workers showed up early @ 6 am; we thought it was because of the holiday weekend. There were a couple of folding trailers on the floor in a mostly completed state. I hope this is a sign that a new investor is breathing cash into a wonderful line of trailers and we'll all have a happy future together :new_all_c!

Kwantau
09-14-2011, 01:46 PM

As I said in the previous thread that I would keep you informed if I knew anything else that came down the pipeline. Well I just got of the phone with the Nebraska TM rep would urged me to "Please feel free to pass on all the info he had given me and to please alay peoples fears about TM closing down. Here is what he told me.
Bob was having problems monetarily trying to keep the company afloat by himself and needed a investor to come in and this has happened. TM was loosing money. They are in the process of selling the extremely expsensive to run building, which was draining their cash, to the CPA investor and pumping the money back into the company and in the process have also located a much lower cost building that they would move into. All this takes a certain amount of time but that everything should be behind them in a month time, and the company would be up and running again. While this process was happening everybody on the factory floor was laid off so nothing was being produced or parts send out, but, and here is the but, the rep who told me that also asked me if there was alot of negativity starting to happen, and I said to a certain degree. He is going to contact Bob to urge him to get someone back into the parts side and start shipping out the back orders and maybe even new orders. So there you have it in a nut shell. The NB rep will contact me with any further update that comes down the line especialy if the parts start moving again . Hope this helps some of you and TM should be up and running again in a month.

JoePK
09-14-2011, 02:50 PM
I was told yesterday they were doing inventory. I hope that's the "only" thing they are doing...

Scottie Dogs
09-14-2011, 04:22 PM
The thing I don’t understand, is why TM is not the # one trailer on the market. I know times are tough but a nice trailer that fits in the garage for camping fun is great for family's.

I think the TM is between the normal pop-ups and the normal trailers as far as price goes. The normal family (4 kids) likes the Scamper, Coleman around the $7,000 range. Then the older people like the 5th wheels and motorhomes they spend more time on the road, they like all the frills.

TM has a tough market to sell this product, although they have done a GREAT JOB so far. The campers just don’t understand how nice the trailer is, but if I was raising 4 kids and thinking about college for them I guess I would go with the regular tent camper for weekends 3 or 4 times during the summer.

We are retired and no way I need a huge unit or a tent camper I am in that market that TM is looking for, I love my TM, it is just perfect. I can go to the HIGH END parks and look just fine against all the big rigs, then I go to national parks and fit right in.

When I book at a high end park I tell them I have a 27’ trailer that is so cool, I got the world by the @#@#$...

TM is the best!!! And it fits in my garage HA!!!! No storage at all...

TM better stay alive :)

Kwantau
09-14-2011, 04:54 PM
I agree with you a 100+% Dave. There could not be a better trailer on the market for us.

wbmiller3
09-14-2011, 06:05 PM
I have to say, hearing that they laid off the entire work force is not very reassuring.

rumbleweed
09-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Because this trailer is unique and not a household word I would guess that a large percentage of TM sales started with a visit to this forum. If TM plans to come back and be successful, they will need some support from this forum. To this end, I believe they need to post a formal statement of tbeir position and planned direction here. If you are simply moving your production facility and resetting it up in a new building, you don't layoff all your employees. Might furlow a receptionist , but you need people to set up new facility and move operation. If I was a dealer with inventory from a failed company, I would be as reassuring as possible until my inventory was sold. Sorry to be negative, I love my TM but not buying what I am hearing.

namklg
09-14-2011, 08:41 PM
I was told that the investor is someone who is involved in the company and wants to see it work. The bad part is that I am needing warranty work, and there is no one to address this with!!!!!
But, I was assured that they were moving forward and in a positive manner.

mtnguy
09-15-2011, 06:43 AM
They are in the process of selling the extremely expsensive to run building, which was draining their cash, to the CPA investor and pumping the money back into the company and in the process have also located a much lower cost building that they would move into.

Seeing the manufacturing process and how crowded things were in August of 2008, it is hard to imagine that anything less than what they now have would work efficiently.

wmtire
09-15-2011, 07:20 AM
I have to say, hearing that they laid off the entire work force is not very reassuring.

I would have to see how their state labor laws, and workforce credits operate.

Laying their employees off, put's them onto the rolls of the unemployed, thus letting them draw unemployment benefits. In the interim, this saves the company cash. However, this could affect the companies "experience rate" and they have to pay more in unemployment contributions when they hire people back.

Also, when/if they hire back, they may be planning on using several federal/state workforce credits, that could save a lot of money depending on how these credits are utilized. Also, this building move could be to what are called Renewal Communities (RCs), Empowerment Zones (EZs) and Enterprise Communities (ECs). Locating your business into one of these get's you several tax credits.

My guess, is that TrailManor is going to comeback as a NEW company on paper, and thus able to capitalize on a lot of govt (federal and state) programs that are available to new companies. A NEW company will have a fresh start on experience rates, etc. This seems to be how they are positioning themselves, IMHO.

kempert
09-15-2011, 08:24 AM
I think Bobby may be more accurate in his speculations about the lay-offs than most of the previous posts. I was at the TM plant once when I overheard a couple of workers talking about coming back from being laid off. They were talking something about unemployment benefits but I really didn't pay that much attention. The way they discussed it led me to believe that this was not an uncommon occurrence in the RV manufacturing industry.

moaboy
09-15-2011, 09:31 AM
We may not have all of the facts yet.

I am going to the big RV show in Hershey tomorrow. TM usually has a factory rep there, so it will be interesting to see if that is the case this year.
IF one is there, I will ask him (as in the past it has always been a guy -Steve and then last year Adam) what is going on.

If I learn anything new I will post it later on Friday.

I suspect it is some type of " corporate reorganization effort" which has the potential for a stronger company in the future. I'll stay positive until I hear otherwise.

Scottie Dogs
09-15-2011, 12:27 PM
They just came out with the new mini SportDeck TM and the slide for the front shell on the regular ones and the Elkmont, and I am sure they have other improvements for the future. I really think they are making adjustments now since fall is here then winter coming up, so this would be a good time to re-organize and plan for the future all companies do this stuff now and then. I am trying to keep a positive attitude on this, the trailer is very special and Hi-Low went down so I really don’t see any competition for them they are very unique.

http://www.trailmanor.com/ Give the site lots of hits :) For those of you on Facebook I really don’t see any stuff on closing the business.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/TrailManor/28786552453#!/pages/TrailManor/28786552453?sk=wall&filter=12

moaboy
09-15-2011, 06:06 PM
I learned this evening that TM is one of the manufacturers scheduled to be at the RV show.
The Hershey show is usually well attended as it is the first show that features the coming year's models.
With any luck I'll know more after I visit tomorrow.

Scottie Dogs
09-15-2011, 06:19 PM
I learned this evening that TM is one of the manufacturers scheduled to be at the RV show.
The Hershey show is usually well attended as it is the first show that features the coming year's models.
With any luck I'll know more after I visit tomorrow.

Thanks so much, we all can't wait. PLEASE report and maybe take some pictures that would be so nice.

Elidh11
09-15-2011, 06:21 PM

I'll be at Hershey, too. Don't have a TT yet, but TM is one of the brands we're considering.

Jimmy-a
09-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Last month I bought a 2000 2720 this is my first TT I have always been a tent camper, in my younger years backpacker so I am really looking forward to my first trip and having a queen sized bed . I don't think there's any going back now;)
I have been reading your posts for the last few weeks and I must say this is just icing on the cake I feel I have found a great product and now have found this great resource to support it Thanks for being here and sharing.
The reason I'm posting here is I talked to the receptionist at Custom Rv in Anaheim Ca. today and she said Trailmanor would be closed for 2-3 more weeks and were moving and reorganizing. So part orders might be awhile yet.
I called because I was looking for a lift kit as my tires need replacing anyway. One was dated from 2002 ,so it's the perfect time except for the factory thing.They didn't have any kits in stock but she said they could make me a set and ship them when ready. Having read Bill's post about his retrofit I remembered how simple they looked and decided to have them made locally they should be ready tomorrow at a third of the price so you have already saved me money and time as I don't have to wait I'll let you know how they work out.
Thanks again for being here I'll be a sponsor at the end of the month. Jim

Barb&Tim
09-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Welcome Jim! Sounds like you have everything under control.

Tim

cochise
09-16-2011, 11:06 AM
A couple of days ago I sent a link to this thread to our dealer, Matt Thacker of Custom RV, Anaheim and the West Coast Rep for TrailManor and asked him to comment. Below is his response verbatim:

You can tell everybody not to worry. TrailManor is still taking orders (although lead time has extended a couple of weeks) and we are ordering units for the Pomona show and for retail sales we have done in the past week or so. They also have a fairly decent backlog of units to be shipped to China in the coming year (12 have gone so far, 2 as late as yesterday from our lot to the port of Long Beach and the China dealer is estimating a lot more!). I would imagine parts shipments might be delayed as they finish their work up there. Reading the entire clip of the blog, it seems to have people in a frenzy. Bob has assured us to keep up the selling and the units will come shortly. I also think that most of the dealers have a pretty good inventory, so the couple of week slowdown in TN shouldn’t slow any of the dealers down as most of the east coast is slowing down because of the winter. It may only make our lead time in the west a tad bit longer through December or so.

Hope this puts everyone's mind at ease.

Matt Thacker of Custom RV in Anaheim has a partner, Scott Eickhoff. Scott is the son of Bob Eickhoff from Nebraska who used to own Custom RV in Anaheim. Bob came to the rescue of TM about a year ago, when the sons of William Hulsey who suffered a hearth attack in 2009 but survived. The sons, Mike and Keith took over running the company, but were not very good at that, son in the fall of 2010 Bob Eickhoff to the rescue with a bag of money. However there were so many holes to be plugged that the money ran out, hence the situation today.

I would take the statement from Matt Thacker with a grain of salt. Being that he is a dealer of TM’s and his partner is the son of the controlling person at TM he is not going to say that the company is folding. At the end of my relationship with TM I was treated well, but I think that a LOT of damage has been done prior to Bob Eickhoff taking over the reins at the company.

With regards to the export to China, well I must smile at that. In the 90’s I owned a small company in Chicago that did prototype and small baths electronics assembly work. We got orders for test boxes from a major cell phone producer to be shipped to China so that they could test the phones prior to delivery. I predicted that we would have orders for about 4 months before the Chinese had duplicated our design, and that held true almost to the date. The Chinese will receive a number of TM’s and than duplicate the design.

But I surely hope that TM will be able to survive.

kempert
09-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Cochise - You're probably correct. The Chinese do not honor patents. It's probably cheaper for them to buy a few and replicate them than to try to find someone to spy for them in the factory. Coming soon - TM knockoffs "Made in China".

Brittany Dogs
09-16-2011, 01:27 PM
When I read the thing about China I know that was the very first thing to enter my mind. China wants to reverse engineer the unique folding trailer of TrailManor. Ouch!!!

Their government won't honor Trademarks or Copyrights because it's the government encouraging the theft of such designs to clobber us economically. Having a license in place is meaningless.

I know business is business but TrailManor should not be surprised if all of a sudden the orders stop.

ng2951
09-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Just don't ship China my modified 3326 design...I hope TM brings back the 3326...

I also think that there are few parts that could not be fabricated. Its not like a Hi-Lo...

Bluegrass
09-17-2011, 12:36 AM
The Chinese will receive a number of TM’s and than duplicate the design.

So if TM folds, at least we'll be able to buy a Chinese knockoff at Walmart. :)

countrygirl
09-17-2011, 06:04 AM
Hope the folks that went to the Hershey show report in today.

Beak12
09-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Talked to Matt of Custom RV a few days ago. He plans on being at the Big Southern CA RV show in Pomona CA in Oct. :)

kevinjrenard
09-17-2011, 11:53 AM
We just got our pocket repair kit from the factory but no instructions does anyone know how to install these or have the installation directions. They also sent us the wrong lift kit but if they are closed I guess we are stuck with that. Thank You

countrygirl
09-17-2011, 03:15 PM
We just got our pocket repair kit from the factory but no instructions does anyone know how to install these or have the installation directions. They also sent us the wrong lift kit but if they are closed I guess we are stuck with that. Thank You

What year is your TM? There are threads on here about pocket stops and I think how to install them. It is odd...it does not say that you are a site sponsor or a trial member...never noticed no category before. If you are not a sponsor for this site then the 12.00 will be the best money you ever spent. It is pretty much a no brainer to join if you need to do repairs like pocket stops.

FWIT...I have recently visited other RV forums and have seen sponsor fees as high as 70.00 for 2 or 3 years so 12.00 a year is a BARGAIN.

I am not so sure that the TM plant is closed or is closing permanently. My glass is half full so I am betting they will reopen soon.

MariaG
09-17-2011, 05:56 PM
If you take a look at the pics in my blog (address below in my signature) it should give you some idea of how to go about it. Please PM me here if you have any questions and I'll pass them on to my husband. Hope this helps!

Elidh11
09-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Went to the big RV show in Hershey today (all the way from Ohio) - it looks like Trailmanor was a no show. I couldn't find them. :mad: I want to think it was my error (it is a HUGE show), but other exhibitors said TM did not show up. I am very disappointed.

moaboy
09-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Report from Hershey:(

Unfortunately I do not have the best of news. TrailManor was not at the large RV show in Heshey, PA which runs September 14-18. They were registered, their name was on the handout and they had an assigned location, but no one was there-let alone any TM model's.

I did talk to someone I consider a good source and this is what I could piece together: The Hershey show requires that only next year's models be shown-so in this case 2012 model's. TM did not have the cash to build any 2012 models. No new models, no show.

It appears their cash flow problems-despite the involvement of the large CA dealer -stem from issues reported earlier on this forum. Too much money out-not enough money in. Apparently this summer before he passed away, BH was trying to "build" the company up, to sell it, as he obviously had health issues and there were questions about his heir's ability or desire to prudently run the company.

Bottom line: TM seems to be in a holding pattern. Missing this show clearly was not a good development. This show is reported to be one of the largest in the country and is the first to show the upcoming year's models. Certainly not fatal by any means, but not a good sign.

It was suggested to me that the CA dealer(who is suppose to be the largest TM dealer in the country) has "operating control" of the company-I don't know this for a fact.

Let's hope that this is just a "bump" in the road and that a succesful transition and reorganization is just around the corner. As much as I like my TM - I don't want it to become a "collector's" item. Helps one appreciate the invention and good job Bill did.

Sorry I don't have better news.

gerry1950
09-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Purchased a new 2010 2720SD and have had nothing but trouble. Been to the factory twice and still problems. This past weekend I traded in for a JAYCO 2012 Skylark 21FKV. Has the same weight and tows like the TrailManor. These Skylark models can be towed by almost any SUV or Crossover.
With options, I paid nearly $30,000 for the 2720SD and the Skylark was
$21,860 with electric awning, central stereo/dvd and better equipment.
One dealer said he would give me $8,400 on trade which I laughed at.
The best I could get was $14,000. In less than two years my investment lost more than 50%. TrailManor has priced itself out of the market and their quality and service is poor at best. This all adds up to:
"THE DEMISE OF TRAILMANOR"

Elidh11
09-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Skylark is one of the other TT's I'm considering (along with R-Pod, but I really prefer a dry bath). There are a couple of Jeep Liberty owners of Skylarks (on the Jayco forum) who are pleased with their Skylarks. I saw the new floorplan (21RBV) in Hershey yesterday - very nice! Very roomy, tons of cabinet space.

gerry1950
09-18-2011, 03:54 PM
The 21FBV has an enormous bathroom but I wanted the futon sofa. Like I said this line is going to put the brakes on Trailmanor's lock on the SUV and crossover market. Does the RBV have the walk around bed?

Elidh11
09-18-2011, 03:59 PM
There are features of all the Skylark floorplans I like - it would be a hard decision. Good luck with yours, Gerry!!

rumbleweed
09-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Windows, where are the windows? Everyone who goes in our TM comments on all tbe windows and ventilation. Several TT friends considered moving to TM just for the windows. We love our TM , not happy about factory issues, but certainlt not disappointed with TM.

Elidh11
09-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Windows, where are the windows? Very good point!! Good thing I am not in a position yet to buy a TT - I keep flip-flopping all over the place!!

rumbleweed
09-18-2011, 06:13 PM
We use the AC only on very hot nights. We prefer to have the only the fresh air and sounds of nature at night. The cross ventilation in the TM is perfect for this. This is especially important if you don't have shore power for AC.

namklg
09-18-2011, 07:28 PM
At this point, I am very concerned with having to pay for warranty issues. I am thinking of looking at other options. Sad to come to this as we were so excited with the TM.

moaboy
09-18-2011, 07:57 PM
I know that when auto manufactures go out of business they are required to stock x amount of certain parts etc. Also one's dealer should stand behind the unit you purchased. When I bought my new 2009.5 2720 I did not have any problems except for a broken heating element that Suburban paid for.
Except for the frame and a few other "proprietary" items many TM parts are from a third party or are generic. So should not have a major problem even if worse case scenario happens.

Barb&Tim
09-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Well our one year warranty for the Trailmanor expired at the end of August. We had a couple of minor issues that were taken care of early on with one visit back to the dealer. Had a few more that cropped up but took care of them myself since it was easier for me.

We still have warranties on some of the 3rd party supplied appliances in the trailmanor and it does not require that trailmanor be in business for that.

But! -- !'m still not convinced that we should schedule the funeral for the Trailmanor Company just yet.

Tim

ng2951
09-18-2011, 09:15 PM
I am not exactly sure just how roomy the Skylark is. The bed is a semi walk-around. It will nice enough for two but I use to say the same thing about my 3326. The Skylark certainly lacks window space & I wish my TH had the window space of the 3326 too.

gerry1950
09-19-2011, 05:16 AM
Let me be clear. I like the concept of the trailer, easy towing and fuel economy but the product is lacking in quality. My last service at the factory was a dismal failure. The factory installed another manufacturer's outer rubber seal to all the windows which I did not authorize or was not aware of until I brought the trailer home. Now I cannot close the windows without prying the seals because the replacement has a different profile and collapses in. I had to fight with trailmanor to send me the correct seal material. They acted as if they were doing me a favor after their mistake.
The factory said they would pay for the replacement labor but now this in question. How can you service a trailer and not check your work? This was the straw that broke the camel's back with this product! Frustrated and fed up!

Scott O
09-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Hope you have a better experience with your new trailer and sorry you had difficulty with your TM. But just to give light to the other side, there are a huge number of us who have had zero problems with their TM and actually have an excellent dealer (Custom RV in Anaheim, CA) to whom we can return for any needed service. I would certainly prefer a huge 5th wheel and a big truck to tow it, but it wouldn't fit in my garage or pull with my Toyota Tacoma. The only "issue" we have with our TM is the constant worry about tire blowouts, but I suspect that would be the case with any single axle trailer.

moaboy
09-19-2011, 06:24 PM
When I purchased my TM in the fall of 2008, I was told it had a two year warranty. And that was confirmed in my "paper work."

Fortunately I had only one very small problem (broken heating element in water heater) which was repaired by my local neighborhood mobile RV repair.
I am also fortunate to have an excellent TM dealer 40 miles away in Hanover, PA.
Clearly there has been sloppy and inconsistent work as TM has suffered through some financial and management issues.
I have had no further problems. So I would not characterize the overall quality as poor.

PS when I looked at the Skylark recently it sure impressed me at first glance as a classy rig. However the longer I looked at the floor plan and how "livable" it would compared to my 2009.5 2720, my opinion is that the TM has many advantages. I have no regrets at all, in fact a retired friend of my saw mine recently and wants to buy one. Too bad TM was not at Hershey as I believe he would have bought one....

Brightsu
09-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Hi,

We live in Johnstown PA, Hanover is the closest dealer to us. Do you know if they are taking in any trade-ins, we're looking to downsize, its just my husband and I camping now and we could use a smaller one.

Thanks for any info. you might provide.

Pam

Shandysplace
09-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Called TM about 3:00PM their time. The answering machine said welcome to TM and stated the hours followed by an opportunity to leave information if you wanted a brochure sent as well as an opportunity to leave a voicemail.

We are hopeful that this is a sign that things are returning to normal.

Scottie Dogs
09-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the latest news Andy. I really think we all will be just fine. I agree with you going back to normal. I have ordered some little parts 7 weeks ago and I was so happy that they were so efficient on delivery that made me very happy.

I ordered some shower curtain rollers, and I wanted 2 black dust covers on the slideout part rail, those are the only black parts on the outside of the TM little things bug me. I am an old MGB car person and I had to have my cars looking perfect when I drove them. I hope the TM is not going to be like my MGB but I will live with my TM, I love it. I will never sell my TM for sure, just a wonderful trailer. I wish the company would post news here that would be so nice.

Dave

BOB_STRONG
09-20-2011, 09:07 PM
I don't know how TrailManor can have business hours from 8 to 4:30 when there is nobody at the factory. They better change the message. I just had someone email me about stopping off today at the factory, and it was like a ghost town. Since I had a testimonial on the TM website, they wanted to tell me the most recent info since they wanted to buy a new TrailManor. If they are going over the books, why isn't someone there????? Seems very strange to me. Also, they went down to Lake City, and asked around about the factory. They were told that the place has been closed for about 3 weeks and the very few people left working were all laid off. This makes sence since I tried calling for something just before Labor Day,and I was told by a recording that they were closed for the Holiday. I have been a very loyal customer of TrailManor since 1992. We have owned 4 TrailManors over the years. I have never seen such silence and secrecy about what is going on. It's not like there is a big take over by some huge corp. If I had to make a bet, I would say that this is the end of TrailManor as we know it. They will be right up there with HiLo. Coleman folding trailers, SunLine, and Fleetwood trailers.

Also, they were supposed to be at the Hershey show just as someone posted earlier. I too talked to a very reliable source and they told me that they did not have the money to build any 2012 models for the show. They backed out about 2 weeks before the scheduled date of Sept 12-18th. Not having any trailers for an RV show is very very serious. How can you stay in business when you can't make any trailers. I would bet that they are shut off by the vendors for parts for the units for non payment. That is my guess. Time will only prove me right or wrong. I know how I am going to bet. I don't like the outcome of my bet, but that is life. Here today gone tomorrow.

rumbleweed
09-21-2011, 06:54 AM
It has been three weeks, lots of speculation and optimistic comments, but Nothing from TM management. If they are restructuring and plan to be back, and expect to have a reputation, there should be a very positive story from them by now. All inputs I am getting says TM is dead. If you recently purchased a new TM, call your dealer and inquire about warranty work as they would expect to be reimbursed by TM. Rumor is the new owner is declaring bankruptcy will move the company and possibly come back as a different company. Not trying to be negative, as I love my TM, but also can't overlook reality. Phone greeting means nothing except maybe they have shut the doors and walked away.

Kwantau
09-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm_insider
I am writing this email and hoping you can/will inform the Trailmanor owners on this forum that they are being lied to. I can't say who I am because of legal ramifications that could come back on myself and my family, but Trailmanor is and will be going out of business.

They may "restructure," which means they'll be leaving their vendors (whom they owe thousands of dollars to) high and dry in debt for product they never received payment for. It means leaving the dealers footing the bill for any warranty work-prior or future work (call a Suncoast RV dealership or any dealership who USED to sell Trailmanors. I'm sure they will tell you if they got paid by Trailmanor or not for customer warranty work they performed. To this day they still haven't been paid). Restructuring also means filing bankruptcy, which voids your warranties and will allow Bob Eickhoff to come into Trailmanor, buy the manufacturing equipment, rent the property and create a new company with a clean slate. He'll make the Trailmanor trailers, but they won't be Trailmanors. Before being laid off there was even word that he was planning on taking the company to Nebraska, where he is from. Unfortunately that leaves a lot of us without a job.

Bob and Cleo Eickhoff came into Trailmanor last year and made a lot of promises to fearful employees that he was going to "rescue" (sounds altruistic) Trailmanor from going out of business. Shortly after "investing" money into Trailmanor, 1/2 of it's already minimized employees were let go. We were down to around 15 employees in the factory in August. He also promised dealers and vendors that he was going to take care of the debt the Husley's incurred as long as said vendors would work with him on future orders (releasing more product on his promises to pay past due debt), so they could manufacture some trailers. Well he got his product, but hasn't paid the vendors. Or at least the local vendors, I know for sure.

Bob Eichoff has not ever planned on taking over unless he was given FULL control of Trailmanor. The Hulsey's will not release that to him. They built this company from scratch and would rather let it die than GIVE it to someone else. Unfortunately they're screwing the Trailmanor brand, it's customers, it's employees etc.

Trailmanor has been closed for over 3 weeks. After being laid off, I wondered if they had brought anyone back and they haven't. I stopped by twice last week and today and the factory is a ghost town. I have called every day, hoping to get some good news. There is no word that we will ever be called back. In the time I have worked at Trailmanor, I have never been more confident that their doors will be closing permanently. That's why I am letting you all know.

The Eickhoff's and Husley's are very dishonest people and I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. They even went as far as borrowing some of the finished trailers provided to the local RV dealership (Twin Coves) to "fill the line" so when possible investors and banks stopped by, it looked like we were working. They have no moral character whatsoever. Trailmanor does not care about it's customers, it's dealers and surely not it's employees. They didn't even have the fortitude to pay our health insurance on time the week of the layoff, which put one of my coworkers in a bind when he had to go pick up almost 800 dollars worth of medications at the pharmacy. He paid his part of his premiums out of his last paycheck, but it went into their pockets instead of Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I guess it's okay to leave a loyal employee without medication for himself and kids.

These are just a few of the shady practices at Trailmanor. Please take my words to heart and protect yourselves.

God Bless.

I just received this as a private message and it is absolutely devestating. I thought I would share this with all of the TM Owners especialy the ones that still have warranty on their TM units. I don't know what else to say.

Civil_War_Buff
09-21-2011, 09:50 AM
:-(

That email speaks volumes!!!!

:-(

kokilo
09-21-2011, 10:08 AM
The Trailmanor is still a great deal if you look at the bright side. It is a great design with some great materials assembled and tested as cheaply as possible.

We purchased a 2006 Trailmanor in March of this year from a used RV dealer on Vancouver Island, BC for a great price compared with prices then on Ebay and the general used market. We had been looking at hi-lo's and Trailmanor's in Washington and Oregon. We dropped the Hi-lo's because they were out of business, were smaller, heavier and seemed to have more proprietary parts. Our previous experience with Travel trailers had been a Trillium, a Boler and an Award 30.

We bought the 2006 2720SD in "as is" condition and began refurbishing the unit. What we found after much cleaning was initially very disapointing: Screws and fasteners missing or improperly installed, veneers and coatings improperly installed, unsealed plywood surfaces in cabinets hard to clean, corroded wiring in the brake circuits, floor coverings improperly installed and of poor quality, excessive surface rust on tanks, frame and torsion bars given 5 years of age. Some of this was due to the previous owners poor maintenance but most of it was due to poor manufacturing practices and lack of quality control.

After replacing the brake wiring (with marine grade wire) replacing brake assemblies, adding 15" tires and rims, new vinyl flooring, sealing of surfaces, repairing and enhancing the Thetford toilet, addition of missing screws and supports, painting of tanks and parts of frame, replacement of lock sets and re-alignment of door, rust treatment of torsion bars and recaulking of roof and external lights and fittings; we are very happy with the trailer. Not counting things like tires which we would have had to do anyway the refurbishing cost was about $500 and about 200 hours of labor. A more experienced renovator would have done it in 1/2 that time.

We now have the trailer that we imagined the Trailmanor to be given the retail pricing and advertising. I highly recommend buying a used TM and refurbishing it to bring it up to it's design potential. There are few components which cannot be replaced or repaired and the ones that are not replaceable (shells and floor) will require considerable damage to put them out of action.

My advice is buy used (no longer an option), refurbish to bring the unit to design intent and correct poor manufacturing, insure for replacement cost and enjoy.

Best of luck, Peter

clown9644
09-21-2011, 11:49 AM
I wonder if tm_insider would share with us where we can go to buy some of the hard to replace components. We probably need to create a link strictly on where to find parts. Not necessarily the appliances that still have manufacturers but more like the pillow seals, torsion bars, and similar items. Sorry to read that tm_insider is such a very unhappy employee and could have brought us better news, but it is what it is.

Instead of damning everyone involved we need to take more positive action and create the information that we will need in the future. There are other places to find the stuff!

Happy camping to all you TMers. I am still happy with mine!

Dave

rumbleweed
09-21-2011, 12:00 PM
The value of this forum and its members has just increased exponentially. It is the forum members who now hold the key to the longevity of our TM's. I suggest we create a new topic " Locating hard to find TM exclusive parts". If members post sources only ( not where can I find questions) it could prove very useful. Many of the items in out TM's are third party OEM products with reasonable support and parts availability. The key will be the unique TM items as mentioned above.

cochise
09-21-2011, 12:23 PM
For those interested in the past history of TM:

Cochise - Personal information is totally irrelevant and inappropriate to the present discussion, and to the board. Don't do it again.

Barb&Tim
09-21-2011, 12:39 PM
The value of this forum and its members has just increased exponentially. It is the forum members who now hold the key to the longevity of our TM's. I suggest we create a new topic " Locating hard to find TM exclusive parts". If members post sources only ( not where can I find questions) it could prove very useful. Many of the items in out TM's are third party OEM products with reasonable support and parts availability. The key will be the unique TM items as mentioned above.

rumbleweed, I mostly agree with you except -- there may possibly be some parts that were made internally at Trailmanor.

After Hi-Low closed some of the employees stepped up and offered a parts source, even still fabricating those parts that were Hi-Low specific. We can only hope that something like that will happen with Trailmanor specific parts.

(opinion)
Outside of this forum, I don't see much happening until Trailmanor makes public what is going on with the company. If they are working on filing for bankruptcy, they will probably stay quiet until after they actually file. But I must admit that my crystal ball is rather cloudy!

Tim

knoxjere
09-21-2011, 02:01 PM
I fail to see what Scott Eichoff's "accident" has to do with the topic. His only involvement in TM is through his father. It just seems to me like we are digging up dirt on the Eichoffs. We met and had some dealings with Bob (whom we did not feel was honest and up front with us), but that was only our impression and I would not state that he is a liar because of that, only that we did not completely trust him. I think we just need to wait and see what transpires in the next few weeks before we jump to any conclusions!

rumbleweed
09-21-2011, 02:43 PM
rumbleweed, I mostly agree with you except -- there may possibly be some parts that were made internally at Trailmanor.
Tim

I do not disagree that some parts were either made by or for TM exclusively. It is these parts that I suggested the topic for . IE it is possible that a good metal shop could replicate the torsion bars if needed and that once done could supply them as needed. My suggestion was that as owners had parts made, they supply the source for others who may ,need them. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

T and C
09-21-2011, 02:52 PM
I think we just need to wait and see what transpires in the next few weeks before we jump to any conclusions!

I agree. I am very skeptical of anonymous accusations. I can think of a couple of possible reasons for these posts besides pure altruism.

I guess we'll find out.

Tom

Civil_War_Buff
09-21-2011, 02:52 PM
I do not disagree that some parts were either made by or for TM exclusively. It is these parts that I suggested the topic for . IE it is possible that a good metal shop could replicate the torsion bars if needed and that once done could supply them as needed. My suggestion was that as owners had parts made, they supply the source for others who may ,need them. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

We would have to be certain that there is no patent infringement if we do that. Even if TM was out of business, they would still own the patent as long as 20 years hasn't expired.

gerry1950
09-21-2011, 08:21 PM
I posted the thread "Trailmanor's Demise" which was meant for information only. I am afraid that it may have been tainted with my own biases towards the company. My first trailer buying experience was less than stellar. I do know that this forum, sharing the common bond of ownership, is better than any one company. Trailmanor will probably go out of business but the decent helpful owners that comprise this forum will succeed by their own virtues and ingenuity. I know the people who recently purchased feel betrayed but kicking the corpse will not accomplish anything; only this forum will.

Thanks to All, I will be checking the posts from time to time as I am paid up for a year.

Brightsu
09-22-2011, 07:58 AM
As far as parts go I believe as smart as most of you are on this owner website, there is without a doubt a way to repurpose or rework any thing on our campers, our orginal 98 tm3326 was only the beginning of our adventure, we enjoyed it so much we decided to special order our 2004 TM3326, after a year of a few problems we sent it back to the factory for warranty, which they went beyond themselves to help us, I can only say good for their were people whom extended themselves to us, we visited the factory and saw our camper on the assembly line, and received a upclose observation of the factory, they showed us how the TM was assembled, they had a area for parts which they would have had to order, my point is I believe we can all work together and share knowledge of how to's and what not to do, things we tried and not. I'm sure most of us had much rather make our on repairs ourselves than have to wait for someone else to do it. My husband orders military airplane parts and says without a doubt, there's not a part that can't be gotten or replaced by something else, so guys this is a strong owners website and we are in it together so whatever happens, happens. It will be challenging at times but we can do it. I've said my peace, so lets get on with it.

T and C
09-22-2011, 09:52 AM
there's not a part that can't be gotten or replaced by something else, so guys this is a strong owners website and we are in it together so whatever happens, happens. It will be challenging at times but we can do it. I've said my peace, so lets get on with it.

I have a question for anyone who can answer it. As I understand it we log onto this forum through the TrailManor website. Let's say TM has paid their bill up to the end of the month. Then, because they are closed, they don't pay for next month.

Will this forum just disappear? Will all this information be lost into cyberspace? Could it be retreived? Who would do this?

:confused:

Tom

rumbleweed
09-22-2011, 10:01 AM
This website is separate from TM. There is a "link" on the TM web site but that is the only connection. It is not in jeopardy of going away if TM does. This will become "The Resource" for current and potential TM Owners.

Brightsu
09-22-2011, 10:20 AM
I've been a member for a while, you can access this from the trailmanor website, but you do not have to this was orginally started by owners of TM's guys correct me if I'm wrong but this website is not owed by trailmanor and any thing we might share with each other should always be there as long as someone continues to be a modulator.

Pam

Bill
09-22-2011, 10:47 AM
T&C -

As Bob said, the Trail Manor Owners Forum is entirely independent of the Trail Manor Company. The forum receives no advice, no funding, no sponsorship, no requests, no benefits - nothing! - from TM. Chris set it up that way in the beginning (2001?), it made sense then, and it makes sense now. It means that we as a group can evaluate and report fairly about our trailers and our experiences, and no one will think we are slanting anything in order to please anyone. I like my TMs a lot - always have - but I have done my share of complaining, too.

One nice result of this is that since we are fair (most of us, anyway) and independent, TM learns a lot from us. Many of the improvements that you see every year on TMs came directly from ideas and projects posted by the members of this forum.

Bill

Civil_War_Buff
09-22-2011, 12:34 PM
The same holds true for the TrailBlazer Club. It is separate from the TM Company and has it's own governing body. My concern is that because one of the main draws to the TrailBlazers was the 10% discount on parts from the factory, will the membership drop off dramatically because that will go away? I would hope not and that folks would still keep organized and hold regional and national rallies.

We are looking forward to Niagara Falls next year and I hope to meet many, many people that we didn't get to meet in Colorado Springs (my last national rally that I attended).

clown9644
09-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Well I plan on joining, was about to send my check to TM as all new members were supposed to do. I am waiting a couple more weeks and if no change I will send it direct. I am hoping to make the Falls next year too!

Scottie Dogs
09-22-2011, 04:54 PM
I called my closest TM place in Tucson. AZ. http://www.freedomrvaz.com/ They have three 2011 models in stock and expecting the 2012’s to come in around January. I tried to get a little information from the sales person without getting to involved but he was very positive on the new ones coming in.

We have to remember that buying a camping trailer is not like buying a new vehicles from Ford, people need cars, they don’t need campers to survive. It is a very tough market, the RV business. Be thankful we have ours and thru this site we can keep them on the road for many many of years with the information here.

I just finished my flat screen TV 19” set-up to hang on the cabinet over the sink, I got the bracket at Best Buy for $19.99, this will be great next week for a week vacation in the White Mountains. Barb & Tim gave me the idea, thanks so much for great pictures how to do this on your post. I will send pictures when we get back...

Dave

OffToDaRaces
09-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Has anyone gotten any updates about the status of TM. I ordered parts several weeks ago that i have not received yet. I have called them several times, but get message to leave message and they will call back. Nothing yet. Nothing in their answering message about being closed tho.

moaboy
09-23-2011, 01:09 PM
I don't have a "bucket list" but if I had one visitng the TM factory would have been on it.
The news is not good, but we'll have to wait and see how this plays out. And it very well may take longer than we would like.

I would only hope that there can be a positve resolution to the financial situation. For the sake of the TM employess/families, dealers and forum members.
I personally would think that a meaningful legacy to the founder would be the successful continuation of his invention and dream...we'll see.

Gotta admit, I did not see this one coming even after HiLO bit the dust.

Keeps life interesting. . . I still need a cabintet for over the stove- if anyone has any ideas (my carpentry skills aren't up to the challenge) or if someone could send me the measurements (and photo) I might be able to find someone local to build somthing similar. Or if any dealer has one please let me know. The better half has decided she needs one and you know how that goes....happy trials! I mean Trails! :)

Scottie Dogs
09-23-2011, 02:30 PM
I don't have a "bucket list" but if I had one visitng the TM factory would have been on it.
The news is not good, but we'll have to wait and see how this plays out. And it very well may take longer than we would like.

I would only hope that there can be a positve resolution to the financial situation. For the sake of the TM employess/families, dealers and forum members.
I personally would think that a meaningful legacy to the founder would be the successful continuation of his invention and dream...we'll see.

Keeps life interesting. . . I still need a cabintet for over the stove- if anyone has any ideas (my carpentry skills aren't up to the challenge) or if someone could send me the measurements (and photo) I might be able to find someone local to build somthing similar. Or if any dealer has one please let me know. The better half has decided she needs one and you know how that goes....happy trials! I mean Trails! :)

I don’t have a cabinet over the stove, but I do have one over the sink area. Here is a link that might help you. http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8155

Here is a picture I found (below) and it looks like the same depth which is 14 inches not sure about the height but you can use your own judgment on that.

You just gave me a great idea on this, thanks for posting this. When you really think about remolding the inside of the TM it really is not that hard if you just take you time with it. I just finished my hanging flat screen hanger today for the cabinet over the kitchen sink and we will use it for our week trip next week.

When you finish this project PLEASE let us know how it turned out (with pictures) we are going to do lots of traveling in the future with 2 Scottie dogs and I need all the room I can get for food and things. Got to love this site, we can do all we want with this great group!!!

We don't need TM company to solve our problems in the future, just love your TM like I do...

Hope this helps,

Dave

meriflower
09-23-2011, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=moaboy;87209]

QUOTE]

Well I have a Hi-Lo but did look at TMs and find them unique. Came to see what was new in the world of TM and was saddened to be reading this! :( For those of you who may be interested, some good news (if it's true!) for Hi-Lo, it may be coming back. There has been a poster on the Hi-Lo forums that they have bought Hi-Lo (branding, blueprints, etc). So I'm hoping for good news for both TM and Hi-Lo in the future!

Scottie Dogs
09-23-2011, 03:30 PM
[QUOTE=moaboy;87209]

QUOTE]

Well I have a Hi-Lo but did look at TMs and find them unique. Came to see what was new in the world of TM and was saddened to be reading this! :( For those of you who may be interested, some good news (if it's true!) for Hi-Lo, it may be coming back. There has been a poster on the Hi-Lo forums that they have bought Hi-Lo (branding, blueprints, etc). So I'm hoping for good news for both TM and Hi-Lo in the future!

Lets all hope for the best, we live in tough times, so if both can come back that would be so wonderful!

Dave

Civil_War_Buff
09-23-2011, 07:26 PM
[/QUOTE]

Keeps life interesting. . . I still need a cabintet for over the stove- if anyone has any ideas (my carpentry skills aren't up to the challenge) or if someone could send me the measurements (and photo) I might be able to find someone local to build somthing similar. Or if any dealer has one please let me know. The better half has decided she needs one and you know how that goes....happy trials! I mean Trails! :)[/QUOTE]

I had my cabinet for over the stove built by Lowes. It cost me about $110 and it works and fits perfectly on top of the wall cabinet for travel.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2972282920041466656uPLEZo &

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2517202480041466656jpvfPR

Goodyear Travels
09-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Of course I was saddened to read all the posts regarding the closure of the factory. I especially felt compassion for the factory workers, the dealers, and those folks who need to resolve warantee issues. I felt sorry for myself, too, -- since we're even more upside-down with our investment in our '07 2720sl -- which we acquired new in late '06.
But you know, we've already had 34 wonderful adventures in our TM and enough memories to fill a book. We're making a conscious choice not to play scary movies in our head about all of this. We're just going to hookup and head down the road as often as can and create even more magic. We're grateful our TM is sitting in the garage waiting for us. We'll change what we can & let go of the rest. We'll only make ourselves suffer if we do otherwise. Make a decision to make your own magic. Don't let this economy or a factory closure rob you of your joy. Time to make lemonade. Best wishes to everyone in our TM family.

G-V_Driver
09-24-2011, 05:54 AM
I need one too. And I couldn't build a boy-scout birdhouse with directions on the box.

klv5920
09-24-2011, 07:53 AM
Anyone familiar with court records should be able to find a notice if TrailManor has filed a Chapter 13 or bankruptcy.
No matter. I feel for the employees who are out of work! This area doesn't have much opportunity for finding employment unless they drive to Knoxville.
And, if it is true that this company has shut down, their suppliers are feeling the pinch also since the items needed for this trailer are specialty made just for TrailManor. That means the possibility of other workers out of jobs!
Domino effect!!
There could also be many other events causing this situation.
Hoping for the best for everyone. Current TM owners will survive! We know how to make do and with the aid of this forum, there is always someone with the knowledge and experience to help out!
We have a great family here!!

Karen

moaboy
09-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks Scottie Dogs and Civil War Buff for the info on the cabinet for over the stove. I did not know Lowe's did that kind of custom work. What department was it and were they able to do it because they had someone to make it or do you think they may offer that service/product at other stores? (It looks great by the way.)

I think I will head down to to the Amish area around Lancaster and find me a cabinet maker...they say that necessity is the mother of invention....

If I find a particularly good one, I'll let you know.

Barb&Tim
09-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Keeps life interesting. . . I still need a Cabinet for over the stove- if anyone has any ideas (my carpentry skills aren't up to the challenge) or if someone could send me the measurements (and photo) I might be able to find someone local to build something similar. Or if any dealer has one please let me know. The better half has decided she needs one and you know how that goes....happy trials! I mean Trails! :)

Here you go.

Tim

tgpmd1
09-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Here you go.

Tim

Tim, did you add the metal strip along the bottom or did it come like this?

Moaboy, Lancaster is not that far away from D.C., so you may want to let them know that if you're happy with the results, they may have LOTS of business from the numerous TM owners around the country.

This is one of the best forums that I'm a member of!

Barb&Tim
09-24-2011, 09:09 PM
It came like that.

Tim

tgpmd1
09-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Interesting... Not sure of the purpose.

Thanks!

Barb&Tim
09-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Yes, The purpose is not obvious. This cabinet has a secondary mounting option. The cabinet over the sink can be taken off the wall and placed (for instance) on the fridge counter top. Then this over the stove cabinet can be taken off the wall and placed on top of the first cabinet. The metal strip slides into a slot on the front top of the first cabinet and this secures the front -- there is also a matching metal latch on the rear of both cabinets to lock them together on the back side.

Tim

tgpmd1
09-24-2011, 11:28 PM
Yes, The purpose is not obvious. This cabinet has a secondary mounting option. The cabinet over the sink can be taken off the wall and placed (for instance) on the fridge counter top. Then this over the stove cabinet can be taken off the wall and placed on top of the first cabinet. The metal strip slides into a slot on the front top of the first cabinet and this secures the front -- there is also a matching metal latch on the rear of both cabinets to lock them together on the back side.

Tim

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

moaboy
09-25-2011, 02:06 PM
Barb and Tim,
Thanks great job on the photo's. Will make it much easier for my cabinet maker.

Back to the original topic of this thread, who knows but in time if there is new blood, new thinking and new capital, we might see an even better TM's in the long run.

If someone would send me the name and address for the CA dealer Bob E. (I'm not sure of his correct name) who supposedly has put money into TM, I would send him a letter asking for an update that one could post on the forum. We are the "fan club" so to speak and would be well positioned to support TM going forward or if a new entity were to emerge from the old TM.
If anyone who has this info woulf prefer to send me a pm that is fine too.

Shandysplace
09-25-2011, 03:18 PM
There currently is only one dealer in California-Custom RV, Anaheim. Matt Thacker is the owner. Their website is http://customrvsales.com/. Matt is preparing a TrailManor update for our rally in Pismo Beach, CA, Sept 30 - October 2.

gmferg
09-25-2011, 04:35 PM
-- there is also a matching metal latch on the rear of both cabinets to lock them together on the back side.

I just have the over the sink cabinet. I've always wondered what the heck that latch on the back was for. Each time I see it, I look around for the mating part of the latch. Another eye opener, thank you.

moaboy
09-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks Shadyplace. I'll wait and see what info is shared at that time and then see what if any follow up might help. Do you know if TM is scheduled to display at that show or if Custom RV is going to be there with other RV's?

Back to the over the sink/stove cabinet-does anyone know what kind of wood is used for the cabinets?

Thanks.

Shandysplace
09-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Custom RV will be at the Pomona Show. Their new/used TM inventory is substantial including the 2012 19. Check it all out at: http://www.customrvsales.com/.

M&M Hokie
09-26-2011, 11:41 PM
I know that CustomRV has a beautiful 2009.5 2720 for sale too. ;)

klv5920
09-27-2011, 01:02 AM
Why not a stock cabinet from Lowes or HD? Then all you would need is the hardware to hang it.

Karen

mcgyver210
09-28-2011, 12:00 AM
WOW I have been away for Summer playing on our new boat! Looks like TM may possibly go down just like my dealer that I purchased our TM from did.

I have been in business long enough that to know when companies start doing things like TM is doesn't usually end well. Cash flow is a really hard problem to overcome. Even if an investor comes along it may just be a bandAid & not a long term fix unless the investor is willing to go all in.

At this time even though I like my TM I wouldn't buy a new one until they show stability. There could be a bright side which is if they do go under there may be a good resell value in the future since they are unique as long as nothing replaces them.

Honestly I have received more help here than from them anyway & if I buy again it will most likely be bigger.

ng2951
09-28-2011, 06:38 AM
...& if I buy again it will most likely be bigger...Why I think TM needs to revamp the 3326!

rooksroost
09-28-2011, 08:58 AM
Lots of discussions on the factory and club here and elsewhere.
I have it on pretty good authority the factory will reopen, we'll just have to be patient and wait and see.
We are still receiving new members through the factory so continue to send new applications to them.
The Jubilee goes on with or without the factory but hopefully they'll be there, so get those registrations in!

rooksroost
President TrailManor TrailBlazers

Shandysplace
09-30-2011, 11:54 PM
I had asked Matt Thacker of Custom RV, Anaheim, CA if he would contact Bob Eickhoff today for the latest on the TM reorganization so I could report to our 23 owners here at our Chapter business meeting tomorrow evening. So this from Bob relayed thru Matt:

Hi Andy,

Hope all is well at the start of this weekend’s rally. Needless to say, we wish we were up there this weekend, but with the preparations for Pomona and setting up our biggest display ever up there, we are a bit swamped for our little dealership.

I did speak with Bob this afternoon to inquire about a statement. He is not a computer person, so he went over the bullet points with me that he covered with you the other day. While things are progressing fine, there isn’t a whole lot of new info the past couple of days. So I will refer to what you and Bob spoke about a few days ago:

1) TrailManor is in fact in the middle of a reorganization and while a new location isn’t etched in stone yet, they will be moving the factory.

2) Bob is negotiating with TrailManor's banks and vendors as we speak. These are complex issues and they have in fact taken some time to work out.

3) There will be parts available from TrailManor for customers or dealers who need them. While timing is still up in the air, he is hoping to have the customer service available very, very shortly for customers and dealers needing warranty or non warranty parts.

4) Warranties will be honored for customers with units still covered under warranty or for customers who purchase new units.

5) Bob is absolutely committed to the survival of the TrailManor Brand and its products.

While it is and has taken some time to work through this reorganization, it was a necessary step to ensure TrailManor will be around for its current customers, future customers and dealers. We truly appreciate everybody’s patience as this process is completed.
Matt Thacker
Custom RV Inc.

Sharon and I will keep everyone posted as the reorganization proceeds.

klv5920
10-01-2011, 08:24 AM
HOORAY!! For everyone concerned and touched by TrailManor!!

Karen

countrygirl
10-01-2011, 01:32 PM
This is from the RV Daily Report:

http://rvdailyreport.com/news/id/15776/north-carolina-rv-maker-stung-by-chinese-product-piracy

http://www.sylvansport.com/

I was going to post this in another spot but even though I sent 24.00 by paypal earlier this week I still do not have access to the entire site.

Bill, if you wish to move it ...I understand.

Brittany Dogs
10-01-2011, 02:00 PM
This does not surprise me one bit what China did to that RV company. China is on a mission to clobber us economically by reverse engineering our intellect. The State Department should see that and forbid any importation of these RV units.

MikeBiondo
10-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Just for grins I went to the TM website and requested a brochure. I was curious to see if there might be anyone in the office checking those things.

Well, a few days later, I get an email from a TM dealer in Iowa (the closest TM dealer to me) thanking my for my interest, what models I was thinking about, blah, blah, blah.

Now, if I would have received a brochure with a Tennessee postmark, I could believe there might be at least one person in the TM office checking on those things, but it appears it's just an automated email system that forwards emails to the nearest dealer based on zip code.

Oh well...

Mike-

rumbleweed
10-04-2011, 01:12 PM
For me jury is still out, I will start to become a believer when I see a post from a new owner with warranty issues that says TM fixed the issues.

mcgyver210
10-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Just for grins I went to the TM website and requested a brochure. I was curious to see if there might be anyone in the office checking those things.

Well, a few days later, I get an email from a TM dealer in Iowa (the closest TM dealer to me) thanking my for my interest, what models I was thinking about, blah, blah, blah.

Now, if I would have received a brochure with a Tennessee postmark, I could believe there might be at least one person in the TM office checking on those things, but it appears it's just an automated email system that forwards emails to the nearest dealer based on zip code.

Oh well...

Mike-

That is most likely just an automated process setup to send request to dealers. Im with you I would need to see a sign of life coming from corporate.

moaboy
10-05-2011, 05:54 PM
If one accepts Matt's info -and for disucssion's sake I will- and he mentions possibily "moving the factory" any idea's on where? Out of Tenn.? To CA?

I understand at this point it is speculation, but any insights?

tgpmd1
10-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Nebraska is one possibility.

M&M Hokie
10-05-2011, 07:31 PM
..."moving the factory"...To CA?

I can't imagine that any company would see moving a factory to CA as a way to improve profitability.

G-V_Driver
10-06-2011, 05:41 AM
Moving the factory of a niche-market manufacturer is always a tricky proposition. A great deal of tribal knowledge is involved in any such production facility, and is immediately lost when the company leaves town. I woudln't be interested in purchasing the first run of products manufactured in the new facility, wherever they decide to build it.

I can't imagine that any company would see moving a factory to CA as a way to improve profitability.

B_and_D
10-06-2011, 07:30 AM

Sad, but oh, so true.....

camp2canoe
10-06-2011, 07:46 AM
I've had a call in to order a part with no return call. camp2canoe

Bigbit
10-06-2011, 03:04 PM
If their issues were with costs, the LAST place that they should move to is CA!!!

Shandysplace
10-06-2011, 04:30 PM
It's interesting to read all the speculative comments and posts, but why not just be patient and see how it all pans out. We're eternal optimists and feel confident that TM will return soon first with customer service and parts coming on line and then manufacturing coming sometime later.

Should TM fold and not return, then the burden to support it's many existing customers will fall to this forum and the remaining dealers in whatever capacity they're able; and there's nothing to suggest that the many site sponsors will not rise to the task with their continued support of $12/yr. With the help of our Moderator, we can all bring our many talents to bear to continue to keep our TMs in first rate condition and hopefully maintain their value.

ELM-JLM
10-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Well stated!!!!

monterathbun
10-07-2011, 09:50 AM
I've called them 7 times since the middle of September. No one answers, just a recording. I have left messages that I need a part for my 2009 3124KS. I'll give is TLC until it dies. I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it from a local dealer.

namklg
10-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Hi,
I would suggest trying one of the larger dealers for your part... Colorado or California....

Shandysplace
10-07-2011, 08:40 PM
That would be the Car Show http://www.thecarshowinc.com/index.htm, Colorado Springs, CO and Custom RV http://www.customrvsales.com/, Anaheim, CA, the number 1 and number 2 TM dealers by units sold.

moaboy
10-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Yes patience is virtue, but this is a forum so what does it hurt to raise questions and have a discussion?

One would think manufacturing costs would be low in TN as well as having the trained workers close. However if a new owner is from another state who knows?

Any info from the Pomona event or has it not taken place yet?

Tuscany Bandit
10-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Pomona rv show...14th-23 October.

Shandysplace
10-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Custom RV will be at the Pomona Show with a new 2012 19 on display:

59th Annual Pomona RV Show
Los Angeles Fairplex – Gate 14
Pomona, CA

www.customrvsales.com
http://www.agievents.com/shows/display.cfm?showid=40

Shandysplace
10-10-2011, 08:00 AM
If you scroll down on the Custom RV website you'll see they've just begun carrying the complete line of trailers from KZ-RV http://www.kz-rv.com/.

Custom RV has always carried at least one other line of TTs along with TM, but we think this is their first time carrying a full line of TTs; TTs, toy haulers and 5th wheels.

Bluegrass
10-10-2011, 08:48 AM
If you scroll down on the Custom RV website you'll see they've just begun carrying the complete line of trailers from KZ-RV http://www.kz-rv.com/.

Custom RV has always carried at least one other line of TTs along with TM, but we think this is their first time carrying a full line of TTs; TTs, toy haulers and 5th wheels.

They're going to need a bigger lot!

M&M Hokie
10-10-2011, 09:35 AM
They're going to need a bigger lot!

They already need one! When we dropped off our 2720 there back in July, there were TMs parked all over the street because there wasn't room on the lot. They reportedly pull them in each night, but I can't imagine how they fit them all in.

Shandysplace
10-10-2011, 11:14 AM
When we picked up our Elkmont 26 last October, we got to see the choreography required to put all the trailers on display on the street back into the secure area each day at 6:00pm. Using a small farm tractor, Scott and Garrett make it look easy.

Our avatar shows our Elkmont in our driveway. We couldn't figure out how to do it until Scott showed us how after returning our Elkmont from Anaheim for warranty work.

Their website suggests that the KZ line will be delivered only as they're sold to deal with the space limitations.

Bigbit
10-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I've seen the guys at Custom RV open shop in the morning, and they spend a good bit of time just hauling trailers out to the cul-de-sac with that tractor each day. You are right, they make it look easy.

They always seem to have a second line in addition to the Trailmanors, I think to cater to those looking for a traditional design trailer.

wbmiller3
10-11-2011, 05:29 PM
'Trailmanor' just posted to their Facebook page. Here's the text, and they included a link to the show website:

Don't miss TrailManor and Custom RV at the Pomona RV Show starting October 14. Great show specials, and you can see the new SportDeck models. Booth 4202, just in front of Gate C.

http://www.carvshow.com/

Tuscany Bandit
10-11-2011, 07:07 PM
My wife and I will be there Monday the 17th. Actually we will be looking to step up to a hard sided traditional travel trailer. Hope to have our 2005 2720SL TrailManor up for sale when and if we find what we are looking for.

We will have to stop by and see Matt from Custom RV while we are there!

fallsrider
10-12-2011, 06:43 PM
'Trailmanor' just posted to their Facebook page. Here's the text, and they included a link to the show website:

Don't miss TrailManor and Custom RV at the Pomona RV Show starting October 14. Great show specials, and you can see the new SportDeck models. Booth 4202, just in front of Gate C.

http://www.carvshow.com/Wow...this show lasts 10 days? I'm very jealous. Ours only lasts for 3! This past February (that's when our show is), a family we are friends with invited us to go camping that very weekend. We went camping, but missed the show. With 10 days, that would give another weekend as an option to see the show.

fallsrider
10-12-2011, 06:53 PM
First, let me say that I hope for everyone's benefit that TrailManor survives and does very well. I want the company to do well, their employees, and everyone who is a customer.

But I have to say that the lack of information regarding their shutdown is very interesting to say the least. If a company is going belly up, there is usually an announcement. If they are moving or going through a re-structuring, there is usually an announcement.

But there seems to be this great cloud of secrecy, or at the very least, very little information regarding the future of TrailManor. Maybe the owners/managers don't know what that future is, but it looks like they would make some kind of formal announcement if they are planning to try and salvage or re-structure the company.

Again, I want them to survive and I hope they do very well. This just seems more than a little strange to me.

moaboy
10-12-2011, 07:34 PM
With any luck, we'll get an update from someone at the upcoming CA Fall Show-perhaps what plans are in the works. Otherwise this will probably take time to play out. And chances are we will not be told anything until re-structuring or other decisions are final.

Spent last weekend at Colonial Denning State Park here in central PA-beautiful Fall weather.

PopBeavers
10-12-2011, 10:53 PM
snip

But I have to say that the lack of information regarding their shutdown is very interesting to say the least. If a company is going belly up, there is usually an announcement. If they are moving or going through a re-structuring, there is usually an announcement.

snip

I worked for a privately held software company. In 1989 I survived the first, and technically only, layoff. Folks that lost there job got two weeks pay.

Two months later we were all called in for a meeting. We expected the meeting to announce that the pending venture capital deal had been signed.

It was actually to announce the deal fell through. My severance was:

We will be filing for bankruptcy on Monday. Feel free to use the phones, fax and copy machines until the doors get locked, which we anticipate will be on Wednesday.

I really enjoyed their phrase:

We can cover payroll through the end of today and also cover all accumulated vacation time. But, to ask you to be here on Monday would be criminal.

We were all blindsided. But this is Silicon Valley, and the economy was much better then. I had a new job with a bigger salary several weeks later. But I did not get any stock options at the new job. Not like it was an important part of my compensation package.

1989 and we blew through $45 million. I heard a rumor that at the time this was the most money lost in a start-up software company. In a software company, the assets go home for dinner at 5:00 PM.

rumbleweed
10-13-2011, 06:26 AM
Searching the local gossip from Lake City TN shows these.

TM building already sold.

TM plans minimal warranty service from somewhere in Lake City TN

New Owner ( not named) might move production to mid west.

ng2951
10-13-2011, 06:49 AM
...Searching the local gossip from Lake City TN shows these.

TM building already sold...I would think that would be easy to confirm from county records...

countrygirl
10-13-2011, 06:50 AM
Interesting.

camp2canoe
10-13-2011, 08:37 AM
TrailManor may be posting but they sure aren't answering my call for a new piece of wardrobe track! - camp2canoe

MudDog
10-13-2011, 08:56 AM
Judging by the first and last post of the local gossip thread here (http://www.topix.com/forum/city/lake-city-tn/TBCD8GT01P6RJBEQG), it's probably a good thing (for quality's sake) the factory is closed.

Not sure how much weight I would give to the comments on that thread, nor what is said at the Pomona RV show this coming week....Love Custom RV but they are going to be limited and measured in what they can say and what is planned may or may not happen. Intentions are just that....nothing more until it happens.

Bluegrass
10-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Judging by the first and last post of the local gossip thread here (http://www.topix.com/forum/city/lake-city-tn/TBCD8GT01P6RJBEQG), it's probably a good thing (for quality's sake) the factory is closed.

That's quite a website. Love the threads on "Who is the worst mom in Lake City" and "Tina Isbel got arrested." Oh, the joy of living in a small town with a chat group. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

PopBeavers
10-13-2011, 12:10 PM
From another RV website forum:

Posted: 10/04/11 06:16pm

The company's CEO is Bob Eickhoff if you want to CC him as well, and even Tom Barry and Robert Bennett who are the OWNERS of Trail Manor.

Other data I found in a Google search:

Carol Hulsey - Human Resource Manager, phone - 865-426-7426, updated on 08/18/2011 02:25:00

At present there are 0 available employment opportunities at TrailManor Inc. while those who are currently employed earn about $77370.

They bring in more than five million in yearly revenue and have greater than 50 employees.

Thomas Pollard - Owner, updated on 12/29/2010 00:00:00

Ben Souther Owner, updated on 12/29/2010 00:00:00
Robert Rolfe Owner, updated on 12/29/2010 00:00:00
Bob Eickhoff Chief Executive Officer
Ben Souther Owner
Ed Ruch President
Robert Bennett Owner
Robert Rolfe Owner
Thomas Pollard Owner
Tom Barry Owner
Ann Wetherbee Vice President
Keith Hulsey Vice President of Sales and Marketing
Carol Hulsey Human Resource Manager

HIKERZ
10-13-2011, 04:57 PM
The lack of information they provide is the biggest problem. Regardless we will continue our adventures in our units. We have us and that is a good thing. What we need is a list of supplier parts. Ie. Curtains, seals etc. The forum is a great source of of information. My door latch was broke. Earl said go to Lowes. Three bucks later I was good. We can do this without them. We just need people like Earl, Bill etc sharing their knowledge.

moaboy
10-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Perhaps with all those "owners" they will get enough capital together to make this sucker fly again. . . or at least bunny hop down the road.
Only time will tell.

OffToDaRaces
10-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Kinda looks like there will be no "Quick Fix" for Trailmanor. Looks like we are left to "fend for ourselves".

Does anyone know where specialized parts can be found for the Trailmanors? I am in need of "Fender Skirts" for my 2720.

A blow-out on my last trip took out the plumbing and the Fender Skirt on the left side. The plumbing has been fixed. I ordered Fender Skirts from TM prior to the announcement that the place was closing. But Alas, no parts have been recieved.

Any Ideas for replacing the fender skirt? Currently I have attached a piece of Lexan to cover the wheel well (necessary to keep debris out of the interior when towing in the rain). The Lexan works, but I think I would rather have the proper Fender Skirts.

Civil_War_Buff
10-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Kinda looks like there will be no "Quick Fix" for Trailmanor. Looks like we are left to "fend for ourselves".

Does anyone know where specialized parts can be found for the Trailmanors? I am in need of "Fender Skirts" for my 2720.

A blow-out on my last trip took out the plumbing and the Fender Skirt on the left side. The plumbing has been fixed. I ordered Fender Skirts from TM prior to the announcement that the place was closing. But Alas, no parts have been recieved.

Any Ideas for replacing the fender skirt? Currently I have attached a piece of Lexan to cover the wheel well (necessary to keep debris out of the interior when towing in the rain). The Lexan works, but I think I would rather have the proper Fender Skirts.

Have you looked at U.S. Plastics? They have white PVC panels that look like they could be fashioned into skirting panels. Check it out, they might be able to get you what you need.

ng2951
10-14-2011, 07:10 AM
After reading that Hi-Lo may be coming back, I would be surprised if TM did not do the same.

While I do not know TM's internal financial situation one should consider that the TM is a lot less complicated than a Hi-Lo and on a performance-dollar per sqft, it is better than any A-frame or tent camper. Most of us bought TMs precisely because of these facts.

I am guessing that the engineer's mind of the Hulseys they kept the TM simple with very few fabricated parts. Almost everything outside of the box and chassis seems to be off-the-shelf or easily fabricated. If you look through some of the threads here you will find someone has been rebuilding a very old TM and I am sure they are fabricating several parts.

Just eyeballing the present situation the economy is probably not going to improve much over next 12-24 months at least. Depending on their finances I would assume that when the financial crystal balls start showing a light at the end of the tunnel someone is going to flip the on switch again. This may not be in Kentucky, but it will be somewhere.

Probably the next year or so might be a littly sucky with TM. However, if you have had a TM would you ever be happy in a A-frame? That's why I think TM will be back one day (and I don't even have one today)!!

Shandysplace
10-14-2011, 08:10 AM
As the Pomona Show opens today, we're hoping for an announcement before it ends. Keep your fingers crossed.

REBCAT
10-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Sorry to tell you all but those names of "owners" are just us people that own a TM. I know this because I'm Robert Bennett.

PopBeavers
10-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Sorry to tell you all but those names of "owners" are just us people that own a TM. I know this because I'm Robert Bennett.

Are you the Dentist or the Senator?

The web page I got the names from is:

http://www.lead411.com/company_TrailManor_Eickhoff_473420.html

I will not claim that it is accurate. Only that I found it.

Perhaps I am just reading that page incorrectly.

gerry1950
10-16-2011, 01:15 PM
According to a post on the internet, the Trailmanor Factory Building has been sold to the Powell Clinch gas utility company (Lake City utility) who will be basing their maintenance facility at the property. It seems that the factory in Tennessee is a thing of the past. The question is where, when and if Trailmanor will reconstitute itself.

mcgyver210
10-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Well I believe they are still around when I see it until then it looks as if we are on our own now & our community here will be more important than ever.

Bright side is since Hi-Lo is also gone we may find our good condition TrailManors may be worth more in the future.

Scottie Dogs
10-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Well I believe they are still around when I see it until then it looks as if we are on our own now & our community here will be more important than ever.

Bright side is since Hi-Lo is also gone we may find our good condition TrailManors may be worth more in the future.

Now that Hi-Low fell and TM is NOT looking very good this is a great opportunity for some young RV person with some money to jump in and make a killing on the (Hard wall fold down campers, the whole market is wide open now) Come on young TM people, don’t you want to be a millionaire and do what you love. If I was only 30 years younger. OH! don’t forget about Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, they had an idea in a little garage and made it WORK. Can’t figure out the TM company they had it all in the nut shell, I love my TM...

Dave

mcgyver210
10-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Now that Hi-Low fell and TM is NOT looking very good this is a great opportunity for some young RV person with some money to jump in and make a killing on the (Hard wall fold down campers, the whole market is wide open now) Come on young TM people, don’t you want to be a millionaire and do what you love. If I was only 30 years younger. OH! don’t forget about Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, they had an idea in a little garage and made it WORK. Can’t figure out the TM company they had it all in the nut shell, I love my TM...

Dave

TMs were really overpriced based on quality IMO even though we have really enjoyed ours that was purchased new. I wouldn't pay for a new one again based on quality control unless they lowered the price. Now if TM would really work on Quality control so that when we purchase new they had very few problems & even those are fixed immediately they would be worth every penny.

In this political climate & current administration Small businesses are hurting & going under. I should know since I am a small business owner that has also struggled during the current administrations so called CHANGE.

TM may end up a casualty of the current CHANGE were Bailed out Banks have 0% intentions of helping a small business make it through these tough times. At this time even if I won a Lottery an RV company wouldn't be high on my list of investments.

I hope TM makes it but based on current info they it is just a matter of time. Also if they regroup they still have an uphill battle to make it long term.

Scottie Dogs
10-16-2011, 05:43 PM
TMs were really overpriced based on quality IMO even though we have really enjoyed ours that was purchased new. I wouldn't pay for a new one again based on quality control unless they lowered the price. Now if TM would really work on Quality control so that when we purchase new they had very few problems & even those are fixed immediately they would be worth every penny.

In this political climate & current administration Small businesses are hurting & going under. I should know since I am a small business owner that has also struggled during the current administrations so called CHANGE.

TM may end up a casualty of the current CHANGE were Bailed out Banks have 0% intentions of helping a small business make it through these tough times. At this time even if I won a Lottery an RV company wouldn't be high on my list of investments.

I hope TM makes it but based on current info they it is just a matter of time. Also if they regroup they still have an uphill battle to make it long term.

I agree on all you said, but living in AZ. and seeing all these huge motorhomes coming here, 100,000 plus pulling a new car, going out to restaurants in snowbird season and we are waiting for an hour to get a table in the winter, I really get confused.

I know the TM is a little expensive, but it is so much better then a canvas, vinyl side fold down.

I agree with you again on the service end of the TM and it seems like the company has not been run right from day one. We also have to realize that TM owns the fold down market for people that like the convenience of a nice tow trailer, then have a full trailer when they arrive to the campground then go home and slip it in the garage. That is what I like about this unit and it is built like a rock compared to the other stuff on the market.

We have to remember thru the years with TM they must have had some super years with great profits, but like most successful companies with big bonus and spending wild they got caught in the economy crunch that happened and they were not prepared for that, like so many other companies. I hope they come back. Oh well we will see what happens down the road.

mcgyver210
10-16-2011, 06:52 PM
I agree on all you said, but living in AZ. and seeing all these huge motorhomes coming here, 100,000 plus pulling a new car, going out to restaurants in snowbird season and we are waiting for an hour to get a table in the winter, I really get confused.

I know the TM is a little expensive, but it is so much better then a canvas, vinyl side fold down.

I agree with you again on the service end of the TM and it seems like the company has not been run right from day one. We also have to realize that TM owns the fold down market for people that like the convenience of a nice tow trailer, then have a full trailer when they arrive to the campground then go home and slip it in the garage. That is what I like about this unit and it is built like a rock compared to the other stuff on the market.

We have to remember thru the years with TM they must have had some super years with great profits, but like most successful companies with big bonus and spending wild they got caught in the economy crunch that happened and they were not prepared for that, like so many other companies. I hope they come back. Oh well we will see what happen down the road.

Yes I agree with what you said & will add that I also was hurt even though I planned on things going bad. Luckily we became very Pro-Active & cut all spending down to smallest items or services we used.

I will be paying for 2009 for a few more years & I am no longer Debt free but we made it & are doing more business than we ever have.

Also remember allot of those 100,000.00 + rigs are owned by retired or semi-retired people who wouldn't even consider a TM due to physical limitations. All Luxury recreational Companies are seeing a down turn.

B_and_D
10-16-2011, 07:12 PM
According to some recent posts on rv.net, Hi-Lo has a new owner who is planning on manufacturing them again.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25425097/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

rooksroost
10-16-2011, 07:35 PM
COOL!
I'm Rooksroost, president of the TrailBlazers, retired, and I wish I was making 77K a year!
POPBEAVERS that is one screwed up website you found!
All I can say is what Rebcat said, we own one like a bunch of other folks!
You signed up for the Jubilee??????

Ed Ruch
President TrailManor TrailBlazers Inc.

hingepin
10-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Think this will cause the prices to drop at the dealership? I'm still on the fence between this and an ultra-lite. I have seen a couple good deals on the Elkmont 24 ($17)k in my area. I'm leaning towards the folding though. Still about 6 mos off before purchase. Maybe something more will be learned by then...

G-V_Driver
10-16-2011, 09:28 PM

Yeah, right ;)

countrygirl
10-17-2011, 06:57 AM
I follow the HI Lo forum on Yahoo. I started noticing a lot of talk and even floor plan sketches over there 8 months to a year ago. At one point there as talk about having the main focus for retires with an island bed and also limiting the number of models. When the announcement was made by Mr Kerola (sp?) I tried to find the threads and sketches but was not able to,

I think it is great they are making a come back. Last year while on our big camping trip we spotted a 2009 27 ft and made an offer. We were turned down now it is listed at the same dealer for less money then we offered.

ng2951
10-17-2011, 01:05 PM
...our good condition TrailManors may be worth more in the future...Yeah, rightOddly enough after our TM was whacked, it was worth more. That was because 3326 was a bit rare and TM was still in business...

namklg
10-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Think this will cause the prices to drop at the dealership? I'm still on the fence between this and an ultra-lite. I have seen a couple good deals on the Elkmont 24 ($17)k in my area. I'm leaning towards the folding though. Still about 6 mos off before purchase. Maybe something more will be learned by then...

One dealer I know has invested a LOT of money in inventory. He feels that the company will bounce back. While there are some issues, the TM is a great concept. We were able to camp in the Teton's without needing to move food, dishes, cooking stuff and anything with an odor to our truck every day and night. It was such a change from the old pop-up.
The only other camper we would consider is an Airstream.... good quality and lasts forever. But, you can't store them inside!

Bookworm
10-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Try calling TM offices at 865-426-7426 and leave a message about ordering Fender Skirts. There is an automated voice mail that gives a couple of options.
I called them last week as well as just this minute.

Also the Colorado Springs dealer may have ideas for you - as they have lots of TM owners in their area.

Good Luck!

Bookworm
2007 TM 3124
2003 Mountaineer

NYJeff
10-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Read on one of the Yahoo! forums that TM is reorganizing & relocating to Nebraska. This was posted by someone who attended the Pomona RV show & talked to a big TM dealer.

(Maybe this is "old" news as I haven't read through this entire thread.)

T and C
10-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Read on one of the Yahoo! forums that TM is reorganizing & relocating to Nebraska. This was posted by someone who attended the Pomona RV show & talked to a big TM dealer.

(Maybe this is "old" news as I haven't read through this entire thread.)

I went out there today, and was told pretty much the same thing. There was mention of early next year.

I told one of the Custom RV guys that many folks are complaining that they only get a recording when they try to call TM. He said, "I will pass that on to the new owner".

They were definitely selling TM's. If you sell what you can't deliver, that's a no no. So this would indicate that they expect new production soon.

I discussed the Thetford "stinker" problem with Scott. He told me that the problem with a vent system or a black water tank in the folding trailers is not that it cannot be done. The problem is that the folks who make the construction codes for RV's won't allow it. However, he has some ideas that he might possibly get approved in the future.

So, I did not come away with a notarized statement that TM will re-open on day X. What I did come away with was the impression that these guys are counting on TM being back in production soon.

Tom

bigd13
10-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Good to know!

moaboy
10-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Anybody else get any info from the CA show?
Also what models were they selling?
Thanks.

B_and_D
10-23-2011, 08:07 PM
I didn't go to the show, but I visited the TrailManor website, and there is no mention of a 3023 model any more. Part of the website seems to be updated for this, but some parts (including the brochure) aren't updated.

Kwantau
10-24-2011, 06:00 AM
The Elkmont line is also completely missing on their website ei floorplans and brochure.

T and C
10-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Anybody else get any info from the CA show?
Also what models were they selling?
Thanks.

When I was there they had a 2619, a couple of different models of 2720, and one of the king sized bed models. They did not have an example of the two axle model or a 3023. They also had two of the TrailMini models, one was the "19". One salesman (?) was opening and closing the 2619 and getting a lot of "ooh's and aah's" from the spectators.

They also had two Elkmonts. In addition to the TM's they had an entire display space full of the KV trailers.

Tom

Elidh11
10-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Dumb question............what are "KV trailers"?

Shandysplace
10-24-2011, 12:04 PM
http://kz-rv.com/.

Elidh11
10-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Ah KZ, not KV - thanks!

Civil_War_Buff
10-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Very interesting with the website developments. Mainly that Elkmont was gone and didn't they report that the Elkmont was selling faster than the fold downs? Very strange.

Maybe they are spinning the Elkmont off as a new company returning to their roots.......

Scottie Dogs
10-24-2011, 05:07 PM
My thought on TM, before I bought mine. I always had an eye on the Airstream (silver bullet) They are very unique just like the TM. But I never hear things about Airstream having problems with sales, I know they are built good just like TM, and when I travel they are all over.

There are so many RV company's making trailers in the past years I don’t know how any of them stay in business. As TM is so unique in the design and fits in the garage, I just don’t know what the problem is with them, they should be flying off the shelf, so to say:)

Who would want an expensive (silver tube) to live in? But I do like them for the quality and towing. And they are not CHEAP! and so different just like the TM.

I think TM is missing things on the product they sell, I can’t figure them out yet, but that is ok they will be back. They can’t loose with this TM trailer, the only one like it on the market :) Just wonderful...

Dave

Bluegrass
10-24-2011, 05:49 PM
It would be interesting to know what the actual production / sales were. I think that we often over estimate the desirability of the product because we like it so much. But I live in what I'm told is the best selling RV market in the country yet the dealer here that handled TM told me he only sold around 12-15 units per year and dropped the line to make room for better selling brands. What we own is a very expensive niche product.

I'm not saying this is the only problem. The lousy economy, Hulsey's health problems, the lack of ensuing leadership, problems with the new product line, an already limited and shrinking dealer network, and who knows what else, could all be contributors to the problem.

I hope they make it.

Keith

Scottie Dogs
10-24-2011, 06:12 PM
It would be interesting to know what the actual production / sales were. I think that we often over estimate the desirability of the product because we like it so much. But I live in what I'm told is the best selling RV market in the country yet the dealer here that handled TM told me he only sold around 12-15 units per year and dropped the line to make room for better selling brands. What we own is a very expensive niche product.

I'm not saying this is the only problem. The lousy economy, Hulsey's health problems, the lack of ensuing leadership, problems with the new product line, an already limited and shrinking dealer network, and who knows what else, could all be contributors to the problem.

I hope they make it.

Keith

My thought on TM, before I bought mine, I always had an eye on the Airstream (silver bullet) They are very unique just like the TM. But I never hear things about Airstream having problems with sales, I know they are built good just like TM, and when I travel they are all over.

There are so many RV company's making trailers in the past years I don’t know how any of them stay in business. As TM is so unique in the design and fits in the garage, I just don’t know what the problem is with them, they should be flying off the shelf, so to say:)

Who would want an expensive silver tube to live in? But I do like them for the quality and towing. And they are not CHEAP!!!!

I think TM is missing things on the product they sell, I can’t figure them out yet, but that is ok they will be back. They can’t loose with this TM trailer, the only one like it on the market :)

Dave

I agree totally Keith on what you said. But us TM owners are so lucky what we have and to enjoy them for many of years. TM owners are the best!!!

T and C
10-25-2011, 12:12 AM
Speaking of Airstream trailers. I have always liked them. Like many of us I remember reading about the big groups of them that drove all over the world and then were reported in articles in the National Geographic magazine.

However, when I checked out the Airstream display at the rv show, the 16 foot "Bambi" model was $45,000! The 30 foot model, a mere $80,000.

Other than the Airstreams, I didn't see a single trailer I would want instead of my TM.

Tom

T and C
10-25-2011, 10:00 AM

I hope they make it.

Keith

I don't know the production totals for TM. However, last year Matt of Custom RV told me that they had been selling 50-60 units a year.

Tom

kempert
10-25-2011, 10:28 AM
On one of my plant tours (I took two), I faintly remember the number 800 was given as the number of TMs made each year. This was before the Elkmont was added to the line.

KevinP
10-25-2011, 08:20 PM
"Very interesting with the website developments. Mainly that Elkmont was gone"

Now all they have to do to make the website current is remove the folding line too.

hillbillyhotel
10-28-2011, 06:46 PM
I JUST READ ON A FACEBOOK POST FROM THIS PAST WED.THAT THEY ARE TAKEING CALLS AGAIN? HAS ANYONE HEARD THIS?

RANDY&VICKIE

vintage 91 tm 23
02 avalanche 8.1L,HONDA 3000I.

BOB_STRONG
10-28-2011, 07:14 PM
I do not understand how TrailManor plans on surviving if they do reopen. They didn't make it when 40% of their sales were coming from the Elkmont which was a lot less expensive trailer to buy than the traditional TrailManor. Do away with this part of the sales and what do you have left ??? You have a very very expensive camper for a very small market niche. After what they have done to their dealers, they will not have any left except for Custom RV and The one in Colorado Springs. I have spoken to 3 different large dealers & they are all dropping the TrailManor line. Dealers talk, and the way this entire closing of TrailManor was handled has left a very bad taste with dealers. I wish them the best of luck even though I am out $450.00 in repairs that I had to pay for on my own. I was told to have the work done, and I would be reinbursed, but they closed up shop before I could get any money. Even if they do reopen, I don't think that the new owners will reimburse me for the repairs. My loyalty to the TrailManor brand is no longer. After owning 4 TrailManors since 1992, I can't believe that this terrible fiasco has happened. We just traded in our 2011 Elkmont 26 and bought a new 2012 32 foot Coleman camper by Dutchmen at Camping World. This 32 foot trailer with a huge 15 foot slide out cost $ 6000 less than the retail on our Elkmont. It has a lot more extras than our Elkmont. It has a huge electric awning, and an entertainement center, and an outside kitchen with refrig. When I towed it home, I got 1.5 miles less than towing the Elkmont which was 1800 lbs. lighter. It tows just as well as the Elkmont. The quality is top notch, and I didn't have a long list of repairs that needed to be fixed like on the Elkmont when we took delivery of it last year. Their concern for detail is just unbelievable in building a quality product. Maybe TrailManor's lack of concern for detail & quality plus their over priced product drove them out of business. Best of luck to the new owners if they ever do reopen. I know that they now have one less loyal customer.

Civil_War_Buff
10-28-2011, 08:27 PM
I do not understand how TrailManor plans on surviving if they do reopen. They didn't make it when 40% of their sales were coming from the Elkmont which was a lot less expensive trailer to buy than the traditional TrailManor. Do away with this part of the sales and what do you have left ??? You have a very very expenive camper for a very small market niche. After what they have done to their dealers, they will not have any left except for Custom RV and The one in Colorado Springs. I have spoken to 3 different large dealers & they are all dropping the TrailManor line. Dealers talk, and the way this entire closing of TrailManor was handled has left a very bad taste with dealers. I wish them the best of luck even though I am out $450.00 in repairs that I had to pay for on my own. I was told to have the work done, and I would be reinbursed, but they closed up shop before I could get any money. Even if they do reopen, I don't think that the new owners will reimburse me for the repairs. My loyalty to the TrailManor brand is no longer. After owning 4 TrailManors since 1992, I can't believe that this terrible fiasco has happened. We just traded in our 2011 Elkmont 26 and bought a new 2012 32 foot Coleman camper by Dutchmen at Camping World. This 32 foot trailer with a huge 15 foot slide out cost $ 6000 less than the retail on our Elkmont. It has a lot more extras than our Elkmont. It has a huge electric awning, and an entertainement center, and an outside kitchen with refrig. When I towed it home, I got 1.5 miles less than towing the Elkmont which was 1800 lbs. lighter. It tows just as well as the Elkmont. The quality is top notch, and I don't have a long list of repairs that need to be fixed like on the Elkmont. Their concern for detail is just unbelievable in building a quality product. Maybe TrailManor's lack of concern for detail & quality plus their over priced product drove them out of business. Best of luck to the new owners if they ever do reopen. I know that they have now one less loyal customer who would ever buy another TrailManor.

All I can say is WOW Bob, you have been a TrailManor "fixture" for so long, I find it hard to believe (understandable, but hard) that you no longer have your TM. I hope that they (TM) can do enough damage control to survive if that is what they hope to do. It is imperative that they engage us on this and other forums if they expect embassadors from the ranks of the owners. We are the ones that they have betrayed, us and their dealers and they will have a long hard road to win much if any loyalty back. Just my $.02

clown9644
10-29-2011, 07:34 AM
Sorry for all of your grief and displeasure over the temporary or permanent loss of our beloved TM's manufacturer. Though it really hurts us out here in user land and dealer land there really is no other way for a business to do what they are doing, or did. Apparently they educated the employees as to what was going on as there are threads of over-hearing employees talk about getting unemployment, etc. That is good!
What would you expect from a company attempting to survive? A letter like this? "Dear customers and dealers. Our company is going bankrupt, our sales are down, the staff are doing shoddy work, we are paying too much for the building we use, the management and family are feuding over how to recover. So in three months, after we clear out our inventory, we will be closing the doors for a period of time, or permanently, depending on how negotiations with our creditors goes. We may remain in Tenn or move somewhere else, depending on how negotiations between Bob and the family go. But don't worry- we will be back as soon as possible as we have millions invested in this we don't want to lose, so go ahead and keep buying our products till they are gone, we can always make more, if we survive. Till we meet again, Happy Camping"
It is NOT the way things are done for survival. I hate it, but do recognize why they had to do it the way they did it. Let's try to be a bit more positive and hope they find a way to come back, under whatever leadership, with whomever they decide to keep and wherever they decide to open back up.

mcgyver210
10-29-2011, 03:08 PM
The Damage is done unfortunately for TM. Once a company with a niche product looses faith of its followers it may never regain the trust & loyalty again.

If I was buying a new TT today TM wouldn't be high on the list due to what is happening now. This isn't to say my opinion will never change though. As for us we are thinking of a small Cruiser (We still have boat fever) in the future so probably will jeep TM for now.

ng2951
10-30-2011, 06:01 PM
I am not so sure that TM is down and out. The things they are doing are the smart things that companies do when they are in trouble. That is do what you are doing right, reduce your offerings to your core business, and reduce costs.

For me, why would TM continue with the Elkmont? They have plenty of competitors making equivalent products and the line got a real black eye with early problems. In fact, I never heard that TM ever fixed all the problems with the Elkmont.

Conversely, TM had been making the folding line for quite a while. They have no competitors offering a superior product. The do have competitors offering competing products because their competitors can make those products considerably cheaper.

My guess is, that if the rumored move to Nebraska is true TM must believe they can knock off a significant amount of the final unit cost. I don' t know what TN has that reduces its desireablity as a manufacturing base to TM, but it must be unfavorable for some reason.

If TM gets back online soon that will help them a lot. So far, unlike some of their competition they did not sell everything to the walls. We also do not know what warranties TM will honor. More time is needed to know if they will be back or not...

Elidh11
10-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Conversely, TM had been making the folding line for quite a while. They have no competitors offering a superior product. The do have competitors offering competing products because their competitors can make those products considerably cheaper.
Are there any other folding hard-wall trailers out there (still being made, that is)?

ThePair
10-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Are there any other folding hard-wall trailers out there (still being made, that is)?

I think A-Line would fit that bill. It's not something I wanted, but it is a hard sided folding trailer. There's one or two others, I think. Not as large or functional as even the smallest TM, but cheaper and lighter, so of benefit to some.

Elidh11
10-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Oh,yeah, the A-liner - I forgot about that one..............

Dave99gst
10-31-2011, 07:01 AM
Oh,yeah, the A-liner - I forgot about that one..............

I cant imagin anyone looking at an A-liner and thinking... Now there's a good idea !

ng2951
10-31-2011, 07:44 AM
The A-Liner has its niche too. I remember looking at one before we knew what a TM was. On a value/dollar level I think the 2619 beats the A-Liner hands down. One of the reasons we did not get an A-Liner was that I did not want to have to take the dogs for a midnight walk when the pardette want to use the bathroom.

The real question at this point is seeing when TM changes the "if" to "when" they start building again. Just to be real "if" the rumored move to Nebraska is true, you have to figure it is going to take 6 months at the earliest to get the line fired back up (training, manufacturing, engineering, QC, deliveries, inventory).

My guess is that they are still several months away from that date, but I would be very surprised if Hi-Lo is online before TM. Surely TM will want to get their production back online no later than early 2012.

ragmopp
10-31-2011, 08:40 AM
I cant imagin anyone looking at an A-liner and thinking... Now there's a good idea !

I take exception to that comment!

Before purchasing the TM we had a Aliner, and it was an excellent little trailer. The key word here is little. It was considerably smaller than our current TM, but it gave good value for what it was. For one or two folks (who really didn't need a bathroom, although a bath was available) it was perfectly adequate. One of the things you could do with the Aliner was go into places you would NEVER think of taking a TM. And in spite of comments by Bill ;), it could be set up quicker than the TM. Not that that makes much of a difference, but it could.
We moved 'up' to a TM becuase of the extra room and the bathroom, and YES we thought the Aliner was a great idea!

Mike Anderson

G-V_Driver
10-31-2011, 08:41 AM
I think their big problem will be finding buyers for whatever production they can muster. Their dealer network is/has vaporized, and manufacturer-direct marketing of RV's isn't a viable strategy.

My guess is that they are still several months away from that date, but I would be very surprised if Hi-Lo is online before TM. Surely TM will want to get their production back online no later than early 2012.

Civil_War_Buff
10-31-2011, 09:29 AM
And the Chalet which is an A Liner knock-off or vice versa.

www.chaletrv.com

mtnguy
10-31-2011, 11:00 AM
And the Chalet which is an A Liner knock-off or vice versa.

www.chaletrv.com

Rockwood and Flagstaff also have Aliner knock-off models now.

T and C
10-31-2011, 11:08 AM
When I visited the TM section of the Pomona RV show I was told a few things about the TM's possible future. I cannot say if this information is absolutely true or not, but here it is:

1. The Hulsey (family) is no longer involved in the company.

2. The new owner plans to re-open the Tennessee line on a temporary basis in order to fill current orders and get some cash flow going.

3. The company is moving to Nebraska because the current owner already has an adequate property for production located there.

4. The target date for re-starting production is early next year. (I did not ask whether that meant the Tennessee or the Nebraska production line.)

5. Warranties will be honored.

As we all know, there is many a slip between the cup and the lip, so I am hopeful, rather than absolutely sure that all this will happen as planned.

Tom

mcgyver210
10-31-2011, 01:09 PM
When it comes to business now days I will believe they are back when they prove it. Also with completely new owners it will take some time to figure out the future for TM.

Yes I am always a Negative thinker it is just my nature.

Bluegrass
10-31-2011, 04:07 PM
The longer this goes without any announcement, the more skeptical I am that they are able to get their financing in place. IIRC, the message we got at Pismo was that this was what was still being negotiated.

Scottie Dogs
10-31-2011, 04:40 PM
This is just my idea on the knock-off trailer company's:

There is NO and never will be a company that will produce a fold down trailer like TM. It just WILL not happen. I just got back from a 3 day trip in Payson AZ, and met a TM friend who has a 3326 King TM, and I guarantee there is no copy cats in the industry that could even come close to the TM his TM is just awesome. Keep your TM you have the ‘Mercedes Benz’ of the fold down world, you could never replace IT with another company knock-off, they will try :):) We got the BEST!!! Even if TM is history, it can always be fixed right here on this forum. Remember, you get what you pay for, do you want a smart car, or do you want a Mercedes??? I think that is a GOOD question. They all have problems but stay right here for your fix the best forum in the travel trailer world, you guys got it made, me too... https://www.paysoncampground.com/ This is a wonderful place to meet a fellow TM owner we had so mush fun and helping each other out. We had lots of talk in our TM little world:)

Dave

OffToDaRaces
10-31-2011, 07:12 PM
Wow guys, you must have had all the information about every Folding unit there was when you purchased your TM's.. I got interested in using a trailer to go on camping trips after I retired in 1994.

I did alot of research in my area dealerships, SouthWest Florida, and saw only canvas supplemented pop-ups and Aliners and Chalet's. I did not want a soft sided camper, and after finding the Aliner, I found out that it could be kept "in my garage". That in itself was a selling point for the Aliner. I would not have been able to house a non-folding camper on my property.

I purchased a New 2008 Aliner Expedition, and was quite pleased with it. It did not have a bathroom, but I didn't want to be in an area that confined when anyone was using the bathroom, except for showering. I used mine to go to Drag Races and to travel along the east coast. The race facilities all had ample bathrooms, and while travelling, the campgrounds that I stayed in had hook-ups and bathrooms. The Aliner I had was efficient in size and pulled very easily. The only thing that made me want to look at something else was the fact that when an old co-worked of mine came to visit, using the campers two beds required set-up and take-down of the dinette area every day of use. I bought a small "Stinky Pete" cabanna tent for use with a portable toilet. My friend liked that setup.

My first time look at any TM was at a RV show in SW florida. I was impressed. I liked the overall size and that fact that the 2720 would provide two ample sized beds without the change over needed every day. I priced a 2008 2720 at the show, and after recovering from the fainting spell, I decided that I would stay with the Aliner for awhile yet.

In April of this year I was ina small area dealership looking for some upgrades for the Aliner when I saw a very nice TM 2720. The price was right, the deal was right, and the TM is now at my home. I have had a few minor issues with it, but as my knowledge increases, my confidence in the 2720 also increases.

As stated in someone else's recent post, even if TM goes under, with a little help from TM owners, I can keep this one rolling for some time.

Thanks to you all, Here's wishing that TM is back in action soon as possible.

T and C
11-01-2011, 10:52 AM
The longer this goes without any announcement, the more skeptical I am that they are able to get their financing in place. IIRC, the message we got at Pismo was that this was what was still being negotiated.

What I was told at the Pomona Show was that the big issue had been the ownership rights of the Hulsey family. They are middle aged people and had spent most or all of their working lives working in the family business. Being the owner's kids, the company had been generous. So it took some time to negotiate a satisfactory settlement. But, according to the guy that told me this, it has been done.

Since my crystal ball is in the shop for repair, ;), we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Tom

mcgyver210
11-01-2011, 11:24 AM
New owners doesn't always translate to a better product or sometimes even comparable product especially on such a unique product. I am not saying a new owner can't do as good or better with TM but as far as I am concerned they will need to show me what they can & will do before I would consider buying one from the new owners.

As far as mine it hasn't been without issues but compared to many mine is flawless. What I am concerned with is the propitiatory parts failing. As for body damage it usually totals a TM anyway so my insurance would handle that.

I am in hopes all this works out but it is true, the longer the fate is unknown the bleaker things look & the harder it will be for TM to regain the trust of the loyal owners & future owners.

T and C
11-01-2011, 01:56 PM
New owners doesn't always translate to a better product or sometimes even comparable product especially on such a unique product. I am not saying a new owner can't do as good or better with TM but as far as I am concerned they will need to show me what they can & will do before I would consider buying one from the new owners.

As far as mine it hasn't been without issues but compared to many mine is flawless. What I am concerned with is the propitiatory parts failing. As for body damage it usually totals a TM anyway so my insurance would handle that.

I am in hopes all this works out but it is true, the longer the fate is unknown the bleaker things look & the harder it will be for TM to regain the trust of the loyal owners & future owners.

Regarding the special parts needs of TrailManors, I have had an idea. Here on the West Coast we have a big dealer, Custom RV of Anaheim. We might suggest to them that they order and carry the special parts in stock and then retail them to us. Being related to the new owner, I'm sure they can find out who manufactures things like the bed supports, spare tire carrier, lift arms for the top, torsion bars and so on.

A lot of the parts in the TM are general trailer parts that are widely available. So no problem there.

They have sold several hundred TM's and there are some thousands out there, so it could be profitable for them.

If TM disappears, I think this is worth a try.

If only I could get my crystal ball out of the shop. :new_Eyecr

Tom

mcgyver210
11-01-2011, 02:31 PM
This community has always been the true support & even with the loss of TM this community will continue with its many years of combined knowledge so Im not all that worried about my 3023.

BOB_STRONG
11-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Yes Custom RV is a large dealer and related to the new owner, but has anyone been on their site lately?????? I always read on the forum that they were hard pressed for space. They never carried mnay other trailers in stock except Trailmanors, but now they have 11 new KZ light weight brand trailers. Do they know something that we don't??????? Time will only tell.

Civil_War_Buff
11-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Yes Custom RV is a large dealer and related to the new owner, but has anyone been on their site lately?????? I always read on the forum that they were hard pressed for space. They never carried mnay other trailers in stock except Trailmanors, but now they have 11 new KZ light weight brand trailers. Do they know something that we don't??????? Time will only tell.

Well Bob, my take would be that Matt is trying to stay in business as well. He can't sell what he can't get and if he can't get any TrailManors, he will need to move something. I am pretty sure his TM inventory is puny and KZ might fill the gap until TM is back into volume production. But I will echo......time will only tell.

DavidP
11-02-2011, 10:10 AM
I stopped by the Trailmanor factory about an hour ago and was told that the new owner was moving production about 5 miles up the road to Lafollette TN. They are in the midst of doing inventory before the move and the final transfer of ownership. Yes, the building has been sold to the utility company but no they are not planning on closing.
I was told the part I needed would be available after inventory was accepted.

Joseph
11-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Thank you sir. Boots on the ground on site cut thru the fog. Good stuff.

mcgyver210
11-02-2011, 12:10 PM
I stopped by the Trailmanor factory about an hour ago and was told that the new owner was moving production about 5 miles up the road to Lafollette TN. They are in the midst of doing inventory before the move and the final transfer of ownership. Yes, the building has been sold to the utility company but no they are not planning on closing.

Finally some first hand info from a true source....THANKS!!!!

Bob&Karen
11-02-2011, 12:58 PM

I've been following this thread regularly and am sure relieved to hear about this. Come spring, I'm gonna need a couple of parts.... boy, was I beginning to worry!

Thanks for the info!

Bob

Scottie Dogs
11-02-2011, 02:15 PM
This is great news DavidP... Thanks for the report. Now maybe I can get a chair, I bet the shipping would kill me, my wife wants one so bad she sat in one last weekend with a fellow TM friend when we were camping and she just loved it.

I would love to know who the manufacture is, they may make other neat things for RV’s.

David P

moaboy
11-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Bob-after being such an a long time admirer pf TM's (and multiple owner), I'm sorry to hear that TM now leaves you with such a "bad taste" in your mouth. Sounds like you are very happy with your new RV and that's in the end what it is all about.

I'd suspect that we are all disappointed by the unraveling of the original TM company. And as I've said before I did not see it coming even when HiLo bit the dust, not that it happened for the same reasons. I suspect the "transition" was/is a complicated set of negotiations considering all of the factors involved-both personal and professional. Moving foreard-if it happens-will take time.

TM's still carve out a very solid niche in my opinion. I remain pleased with my 2009.5 2720. Not sure that I would have an RV if there were no TM as I greatly value being abale to store it in the garage at my house since I'm prohibited by development rules from any long term storage outside. That and the fact that I did not have to buy a new heavy duty TV.

Good to hear about the possible re-opening "down the road" in TN. That would make sense considering all of the skilled and experienced labor in the area.
In the meantime, we should all keep our bearings greased, the hitch tight and our best friend at our side.

BOB_STRONG
11-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Since they are supposedly moving just up the road from Lake City, I sure hope that they will still have Ed Lytle as an employee. In my opinion, he knew the TrailManor inside and out. He was a very busy man and spread very thin at the end, but he always manged to get back to me when I had problems with the TrailManor. If I needed a part, he was the one that made sure that I received it ok and in a timely matter.With all of his knowledge of the TrailManor, he sure was a great asset for TrailManor. I sure hope that he will be with the new TrailManor since they will need someone like him.

namklg
11-03-2011, 06:48 PM
What I was told at the Pomona Show was that the big issue had been the ownership rights of the Hulsey family. They are middle aged people and had spent most or all of their working lives working in the family business. Being the owner's kids, the company had been generous.
Tom

In the world of small manufacturing companies, the family members working would be either DOB's or SOB's - Daughters of bosses or sons of bosses. They walk a hard road and many times, do not get paid any more than other employees. It the unusual case where they do earn more than others, this can cause hard feelings and difficulty when looking at transfer of ownership. Thus the case for employee owned small businesses!

kempert
11-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Since they are supposedly moving just up the road from Lake City, I sure hope that they will still have Ed Lytle as an employee. In my opinion, he knew the TrailManor inside and out. He was a very busy man and spread very thin at the end, but he always manged to get back to me when I had problems with the TrailManor. If I needed a part, he was the one that made sure that I received it ok and in a timely matter.With all of his knowledge of the TrailManor, he sure was a great asset for TrailManor. I sure hope that he will be with the new TrailManor since they will need someone like him.

BOB - I completely agree with what you said. To me, Ed Lytle was, and hopefully still is, Trailmanor. I've lived in my TM for what amounts to the equivalent of 5 full years. This has been in temperatures from as low as 10 degrees to over 100 degrees. It's been in dusty and extremely windy (70+ mph) conditions and was in the middle of a 60 vehicle pile-up where it was written off by GMAC. Therefore, I've talked with Ed (on the phone and in person) several times and he was always a tremendous source of knowledge of how to keep my TM useable. If they lose him, they've lost a huge asset. I really don't see how anyone could come remotely close to doing for TM what he did on a daily basis. I would not still be using my TM if it wasn't for Ed!

Shandysplace
11-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Matt Thacker of Custom RV has confirmed to us that Ed Lytle in Customer Service and Ed in parts will be returning when TM resumes operations. They say no one is irreplaceable, but Ed Lytle comes close. We all have our favorite Ed Lytle stories. We should start a thread of them.

tgpmd1
11-04-2011, 05:52 AM
Matt Thacker of Custom RV has confirmed to us that Ed Lytle in Customer Service and Ed in parts will be returning when TM resumes operations. They say no one is irreplaceable, but Ed Lytle comes close. We all have our favorite Ed Lytle stories. We should start a thread of them.

Yeah! Ed has been such a great employee, I'm so glad to hear that he will be returning.

Bill
11-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Matt Thacker of Custom RV has confirmed to us that Ed Lytle will be returning when TM resumes operations. They say no one is irreplaceable, but Ed Lytle comes close. We all have our favorite Ed Lytle stories.Enthusiastic agreement here. I have certainly told my share of Ed Lytle stories. When the previous Customer Service rep (Jimmy Davis) left, I didn't think anyone could be as good. But Ed has more than stepped up to the challenge.

Bill

Civil_War_Buff
11-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Enthusiastic agreement here. I have certainly told my share of Ed Lytle stories. When the previous Customer Service rep (Jimmy Davis) left, I didn't think anyone could be as good. But Ed has more than stepped up to the challenge.

Bill

Ed has helped me out a lot. I am hopeful at his return. Jimmy was a master of the TM, and like Bill said when Jimmy passed away, I never thought TM could replace him, but Ed is a true TM master as well. Can't wait till things get back to some sense of normality at the TrailManor factory in whatever town it lands.

Northwoods
11-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Ditto for us. Every time we contacted Ed, he was very responsive, knowledgeable and courteous. Hope everything works out for them at their new facility. We have stayed at Norris Lake Campground on our previous visits to the factory. i guess this won't be too far from there. olga

moaboy
11-07-2011, 03:06 PM
I'd offer a toast to Ed as well. Not only was he knowledgable, but he was very patient.

The observation on "off spring" of owners is certainly true in many cases, not so sure that was the case in this situation-unfortunately. Perhaps if it were, the company would not be where it is today.

Anyway, grerat news to hear about Ed L.

My wife and I got one last trip in over the weekend. Even though the temp got down to 26F our small ceramic 1500 watt heater kept us warm-around 70F. I also used the heat strip in the AC, which if nothing else helped circulate the heat from the heater which was on the floor under the AC. Worked well.

Lastly, a buddy of mine found a good deal on a large trailer that is in great shape and well priced. However, he is having a problem figuring out where to store it and he is finding out it is much more expense than he would like.

countrygirl
11-08-2011, 09:18 PM

This is great news to me...I have family in Lafollette. I am very happy they will be back in business.

bell
11-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the up date.

mbd4kids
11-09-2011, 11:15 AM
David P thanks for the good news! I can't wait. We need a "tune up" and I am not figuring things out too well. Tennessee here we come! Please keep updating if someone hears more:)

jerry kovacs
11-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Just curious. I've been out in my Elkmont (purchased from Custom RV) for the past 4 weeks. Upon returning home, I wanted to get an update on TM and see what the latest was regarding relocation, etc. I went to TM home page. They have removed the Elkmont line from their inventory and there is no mention of it at all. Is this just temporary?

ng2951
11-11-2011, 10:37 AM
I think the Elkmont will return, but just not now. The Elkmont's introduction left a lot to be desired, and I think TM will want to do a lot more on-the road testing before they offer it again...

Bill & Lisa
11-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Glad to hear things may be looking up. While we moved on to a bigger rig that met our needs better after some medical issues, we still have very fond memories of our TM and all the great folks we met at the rallies and on the forum. I was never overly fond of camping in our 17' bed pop up because for me, my weekend out was not all that "relaxing". (between the set up and being cramped). TM changed that for us and has made camping our primary outlet for fun and travel. I will always thank TM for that and still recommend to folks to look at TM if it fits their needs. I caveat it with a note of caution reguarding the current situation while the dust settles but for the most part, anything we needed to fix or "enhance" our TM we made or got from a local RV supply place. I don't think we ever needed anything from the factory. Most of the "unique" parts are designed to last the life of the trailer and shouldn't need to be replaced. As someone else pointed out, any significant amount of damage to the body results in the insurance company totaling it and then you have to find a replacement TM. Might not be able to get new if the factory doesn't open back up but there are still a good supply of used ones out there if you had to replace one.

ng2951
11-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Glad to hear things may be looking up...moved on to a bigger rig that met our needs...we still have very fond memories of our TM and all the great folks we met at the rallies and on the forum...I will always thank TM for that and still recommend to folks to look at TM if it fits their needs...I caveat it with a note of caution reguarding the current situation while the dust settles but for the most part, anything we needed to fix or "enhance" our TM we made or got from a local RV supply place. I don't think we ever needed anything from the factory. Most of the "unique" parts are designed to last the life of the trailer and shouldn't need to be replaced...As someone else pointed out, any significant amount of damage to the body results in the insurance company totaling it and then you have to find a replacement TM...Yep. Same here about getting a different trailer. Truth is if we could have found another 3326 that we could have had similarily insured as our original we likely would have gotten it. After the factory adjusted the shells it was pretty easy to get all the parts up into position without much heavy lifting.

I am one of those who had the joy of the aftermath of a collision. After spending 2 days in a hotel it really makes you appreciate your rolling hotel room. I encourage people to read the threads around that event so you can know what you might expect.

While I am less than pleased with TM's parts support, they are probably a little better than above average for the industry. Possibly when the company is in better shape they may be even better (I am sure morale has to be low right now).

Still TMs probably uses less custom parts than other trailer makers. The shells themselves are the most critical pieces. Some parts might be difficult to fabricate, but probably could be done.

One other very important point about TM construction techniques. A number of trailer manufacturers are using the techniques to build lightweight trailers. These construction techniques build strong vehicles, but in an impact can be costly to repair. So be aware that almost any trailer using these techniques might be totaled from an impact.

As far as folding trailers go, I still think the TM is the best in its class...