PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with TrailManor?

JessWD
03-02-2005, 06:01 PM
I would like to have owners of TrailManor trailers to point out the negative features or operations or opinions they have discovered as owners of their
TrailManor.

I have been looking seriously at the HiLo trailers. I am very interested in
the TrailManor and am planning on visiting a dealer soon to see one in person.

One comment I picked up somewhere is that some people might have a difficult time opening it up if they are not strong enough. My wife is 5' 2" and
is not known for toughness or strength. I'm wondering if she would be able
to open up a TM trailer. How much energy or muscle does it actually take?
I know this is a subjective question; but can you give some idea. How would
it compare with lifting a garage door that is on springs?

What other negative observations do you have? I would appreciate total
honesty. I'm not looking for perfection. But I am a skeptical potential
customer. The brochure, for instance, shows a lady acting as if she is opening up a trailer; but it is not a video, so anyone could have pulled it
up and then had her stand at that position for the photo.

I am not trying to be negative, but seeking the whole truth in practical experience.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

JessWD

TandemKids
03-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Jess,

I'll take the plunge for you. My wife and I have had our TM2619 for just over a year, and following is a list (short) of our dislikes.

1. TrailManor's claims that the re-circulating toilet doesn't stink notwithstanding, The re-circulating toilet STINKS, especially during hot weather when the AC is in use. The way I stopped the stink was to create/install a powered vent for the toilet. It works very well.

2. I can open/close the TM with no problem, but my wife cannot. It is more difficult to close when the weather is cold or damp. The seals are so tight that it is difficult to overcome them when they are cold or wet. It is not a problem when two people open or close it.

3. We find our 2619 to be cozy (read small) when we are camping along. It is a matchbox when we have our 5 year old grandson along. Suggestion: Only take small kids along when the weather is nice and you can boot them outside, or buy a bigger TM.

4. Condensation is a problem. We bought a small de-humidifier that works well unless the weather is cold and really wet. In that case, the de-humidifier works but cannot overcome the condensation totally.

That is about it in the complaint dept. Jess. Overall, we like our TM. It is light and tows well behind our Blazer. It can be set up and taken down in the rain without getting everything wet inside.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Bill
03-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Jess -

I will admit right up front that I think the Trail Manor is wildly superior to the Hi-Lo. When you compare similar models (in terms of interior space and bed size, the things that grab me), and then compare the weights of the two trailers - well, you can do it for yourself. Hi-Los are HEAVY. Beyond that, much of the equipment is similar, but as I look down the list of options vs standard equipment in the 27-foot size (my TM), there are some significant differences.

I find opening and closing to be a one-handed operation, but a 5'2" lady might not. There have been threads written by folks older than I about how to make opening even easier for someone with very limited upper-body strength or weight. For example, take a look at this thread, where several tips are presented.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2011

My TM virtually closes itself - you just lean against the ends and they float down. There is a current thread about replacing the step-in U-bolts with larger ones, to facilitate snapping the travel latches closed.

I haven't found condensation to be a problem, though others such as Michael have experienced it. However, it won't be any more or less of a problem in a Hi-Lo - it has to do with sources of moisture (cooking, breathing, unvented propane heaters) and venting (do you crack a vent when it gets moist) which will be the same in the two trailers.

My only complaint about my TM is that it is too easy to overload with my stuff. Since I make cross-country trips twice a year, I end up packing heavy, and my next TM will have a heavier axle and tires. I don't know about the available payload of a Hi-Lo.

And I have no idea how they compare in price for equivalent models, equally equipped.

Good luck in your analysis.

Bill

RockyMtnRay
03-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Generally my feelings echo those of Bill...if the smaller TMs have a weakness it's the relatively low axle/tire weight rating of the single axle on the 2720s and 2619s (3500 lb axle rating, 3720 (1860 each side) lb tire rating with the standard 14 inch tires). I'm seriously considering spending the bucks in 2006 to retrofit my 27202SL with a 5000 lb axle and 15 inch tires (and disc brakes). If you wind up ordering a 2619/2720 TM (i.e. not buying one off a lot), I strongly encourage you to order the optional heavy duty (5000 lb rating) axle with 15 inch tires.

Going along with the limited axle rating is the relatively small (20 gallons on most models) fresh water and 28 gallon grey water tanks. Not an issue for those who camp in full-hookup campgrounds, but a big issue for those of use who boondock camp for multiple days in primitive campgrounds that don't even have a dump station in the campground.

Based on a lot of posts here, the recycling toilet can be an odor problem if you use it for defecation and don't use a lot of chemicals and dump very frequently. Long ago someone posted some sage advice on this board: if you want to guarantee you'll never have a smelly toilet, then "don't poop in the potty". Seemed like incredibly sound advice to me and accordingly I only use the onboard toilet for urination (mainly at night) and have never had even a slight odor problem. Plus I can go around 10 person-days between toilet dumps.

As for difficulty in opening the shells, I find it hard to believe even the smallest, least muscular woman can't open the shells if (1) the trailer is carefully leveled and (2) the torsion bars (4 per shell) are very carefully adjusted. I personally can open both the rear and front shells on my trailer with just one finger. Yes I work out a lot and have a lot of upper body/arm/hand strength but the one-finger opening is mostly due to having the torsion bar adjustments perfectly tweaked and careful leveling (which is pretty easy with an electric tongue jack and an electric drill to operate the leveling jacks).

As for size/sense of spaciousness, it all depends on how much personal space you and your wife need/want and how much crowding you'll tolerate for a few days of camping. Me...I like/need a lot of personal space and find a 2720SL is great for one adult (namely Me!...I almost always travel solo), is pretty bearable with 2 adults; and would feel pretty crowded with just 3 adults or 2 adults and a teenager. 2 adults and 2 preteen kids is probably do-able if you really liked the kids. :) No way would I try camping with a 4 adults in a 2720SL.

BobRederick
03-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Jess,

I looked at the TM for a long time to be sure I would like it or could live with it. Now that I own it, I love it. My concerns re the TM were the following:
* Window height is high. I wanted visibility and got it in the 3326 where you sit up on the dinette.
* Bending over to get stuff out of the cabinets. This is helped in the 3326 by the dinette being right across the isle from the galley. You can reach into the refrig, the oven or stove, and the pantry while seated. Also, don't have to carry food over the carpet. I am working on putting baskets in the cabinets with rollers to bring them out so I don't have to reach way inside to get stuff. That makes much more efficient storage as well. Get the overhead cabinet -- its great.
* You can't walk around the bed to make it or to get in. Have to crawl in. I got the King bed so we can sleep lengthwise of the trailer and neither has to crawl over the other to get out at night.
* The moisture collection inside is due to moisture from humans and cooking condensing on the cold (single pane) windows. All campers will do that.
* Jacking is a work out. Get the electric jack if that is a bother.
* Lifting the shells is a pull. Maybe 40# or so? I bought mine 2000 miles away and camped in it on the way home. My elbow hurt from that. I learned to hook the crook of my elbow under the shell to raise it and that greatly reduced the stress on my elbow.
* The refrig on 12V is a pain. It likes to drain the battery. I have two ideas to mitigate this: a) turn off the refrig on the road. Put dry ice or the frozen dry stuff in the freezing compartment to keep it cold on the road. b) Put a switch outside the TM so I can turn off the refrig when I go into a restaurant and back on when the TV is running. Then I'll get to the camp with a fully charged battery.

I'm scratching the bottom of the barrel here now. Lots more good things to talk about than shortcomings. All campers are a compromise and none are like your house. They all depreciate, have screws come loose, need maintenance, have a small bathroom, have to have grey, black and fresh water tended to and need to be stored somewhere when not in use. Batteries are marginal and need a lot of TLC when dry camping.

I like mine so much I have been sleeping in it the last month. That memory foam pad really calls out my name!

The bigger ones cost more and are more comefortable. The smaller ones may go into your garage, are easier to tow and set up, and go into tighter places for dry camping.

By the way, outfitting the TM is a great pleasure to me. Trying to find a way to add creature comefort at minimal weight and volume is a challenge. Think of yourself setting up housekeeping for the Space Shuttle or the Space Station! It's a lot like that but much more affordable. I do hear Camping World calling me.....

Check it out carefully. Go look at one. Sit in it and pretend it is yours. Set it up and take it down. Check out the bed, the refrig, and cabinets. I'm an ex-Coleman guy, so this is a great upgrade to what I am accustomed to.

Best wishes and hope to hear you as a new owner for the '05 camping season!

Bob Rederick

B_and_D
03-02-2005, 10:27 PM
I can open our shells unassisted with very little effort, and the torsion mechanism on our unit probably need to be adjusted. I open and close up the TM all the time by myself. I'm not much taller than your wife. As has been said here before, the trick is to get it level first, but you have to do that with any trailer if you want to run the frig properly. Opening the TM is not as much lifting as it is pulling back and upward as you slowly step back. If there is only one person doing it, the outer shell must be grasped in the center so that it glides straight out.

I suppose the toilet can get smelly if you overuse it, but it's not an issue if you have full hookups or can dump when needed. When we dry camp, we bring along a 5-gal blue tote that we use for transportation to the dump station.

Condensation. We've experienced that. I think that any trailer would probably have that, given the new synthetic, non-moisture absorbing walls and finishes that are in most new TT's. It comes from cooking, showering, and breathing in a tightly-sealed, enclosed space. Best bet is to crack the vents a little at the top and slightly open the windows on either end. We also carry along a fan to run when this happens.

The cabinets in the TrailManor are low. I think that was the worst thing for me, at first. Now I've fitted each cabinet space with sliding tubs that can be easily pulled out and the contents easily viewed. Sometimes I have to get down on the floor to find the things that are stuffed way in back. I think it keeps me limber.

We have not experienced any battery drain while enroute with the refrigerator on 12V. Others have experienced this. I think it's how the wiring is done in the TV to the 7-prong connector, plus how the TV is wired. We have a 2001 Chevy PU 1500. We always arrive fully charged and ready to camp.

Go visit a TrailManor somewhere. We did that before we bought ours. If you would like to visit ours, and try opening and closing it, you are welcome to. There might be some other board members even closer to you that would show you their rigs. We had two different board members show us their TM's before we bought ours, one of them even opened it up an closed it down a few times for us (thanks, CWB!). :)

Factor
03-03-2005, 12:19 PM
We have not had ours long enough to make a real intelligent response, but, here is. It's easy to tow, lots of room and no difficulty in raising and lowering it. If I wasn't concerned about towing costs and weight, I probably would buy a Hi-Low. I do believe the TM's are very expensive compared to some other units. Hopefuly, the quality will compensate over the years. We purchased the TM because of weight, room, towability and the fact it has hard sides.

John
2003 Montana AWD TV
2004 - 3023 TM

CC_Turtle
03-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Hi,

we have a 2720sl.. which is great for 2 people.. or 4 for very short times. since we do have the slide out, i have to remove the propane tanks to have them filled - which is not as easy as i think it should be. we can open our shells together - but i cannot do it by myself. overall we really like our TM!

Teresa

live2shopnc
03-03-2005, 04:16 PM
The lp tanks are a pain to change in my 2720sd. My biggest problem is not being able to leave the bed made and close it. We have a memory foam pad and it makes the bed too tall to leave made up. Condensation has not been a prob. for me. Wife and I usually open and close together but we can do it alone with no prob. We usually stay in CG with full hookups so smell is not a prob. I have the lift kit and heavier axle and 15 in tires.

JessWD
03-03-2005, 04:26 PM
This is directed to B&D, Ray, Leon, Bob, Teresa and John - - I think I covered all who were so kind to respond with "your" negatives AND positives. Which
reminds me, I should now ask you to list any additional positives that come to mind. Maybe typing to me will keep you out of trouble! :c) :rolleyes:

I do thank you all. I have printed all your comments off, read and discussed
them with Bonnie.

By the way, what does DW and DH stand for? Bonnie said, "It better not
stand for "dumb wife!" ha ha. I told her it meant "Designated wife" lol.
But DH is probably "dumb husband!" It's a new one for both of us.

I would like to ask just how hard is it to make up the permanent Queen size bed? Contour sheets sounds like a preference. I don't like the idea of climbing over each other during the night...especially following and evening when my thirst cannot be quenched and I drink two or three ice teas or a couple beers!

I wish they had a length wise double or queen to eliminate the crawling over bit. "If wishes were fishes," eh?

We've camped in Wyoming with four kids in a tent for a weekend. So a TM
experience would be a defnite upgrade.

I read somewhere that if you order one, there is some room to customize your own TM. I sure like the looks of the 3326 King with the dinette and couch and lounge chair - but the length, weight, not to mention the price!
And I have not even started to examine the realm of a used TM. I think
"used" might be our only way of getting into one. Unless Martha Stewart
hears about us, feels compassionate to us, and wants to share a third of one of her $100 million she earned while in the pokey. I think that was the first month!

Our concerns center on the two of us. We think it would be rare that any other family members would be traveling with us. Our Tundra has that small back seat, so if anyone did come along, they'd probably have to drive their own car. Not likely to happen.

Bob Rederick, I assume you drilled a hole in the side of the trailer to attach your outside On/Off switch for your refrig.

If you use battery powered lamps for light, and only use trailer lights for very brief periods.....does anyone know how long the battery lasts with running the frig on it?

No one has mentioned a Honda generator for dry camping.

Is there a guage to show how much LP gas remains in the tanks?

I hear talk about a "converter." Ignorant regarding a lot to do with electrical matters. Is a "converter" something "extra" one needs to purchase? Or is
it built in? Does it convert the current from AC to DC and vis versa?

I talked to my tire man today while having new tires put on our Tundra. He
said he only will run 8 ply tires on his travel trailer. He said the tires do not hold up the weight of the trailer. Air does that! You don't often think of it
that way. He said he talks to RV people all the time who are running 5000 pounds with 37 or so pounds in the tires. Does everyone run 8 ply tires?

He also said Goodyear runs a steel belt around the inner circle of the tire.....the part that meets the rim. Bridgestone uses rubber. But it's so hard, he said, you can pound it with a hammer and not even leave a mark.
But it gives a much smoother ride. I've run Bridgestones on our vehicles for many many years, exclusively. Today with these new tires it's like riding on
a soft cloud. Even the steering is so soft feeling. And quiet! He also said
to rotate tires every 4000 instead of 5000 as I have in the past. I got 72,000 miles on a set on our Buick Regal once, by faithfully rotating the tires every 5000 miles and keeping air pressure up. That was incredible! Those were Bridgestones too.

Oh, I think I figured out DW. Has to be Italian for "Da Woman!" Right?

Jess

B_and_D
03-03-2005, 05:18 PM
When you're on battery power, you will probably run your frig on propane. Then things you then have to worry about draining the battery are the lights and the furnace. The furnace will drain your batteries pretty fast. We put two 6-volt golf cart batteries on our tongue, they give us a longer period of use than a single 12-volt battery. We also bring along another (the old) 12-volt battery that we use to run the TV/DVD player. You can get led lights that use a lot less electricity than the regular bulbs, but from what I've read you can't use them while hooked up to shore power unless your converter is one of the better ones (they burn out).

If you're going to be dry camping for a longer period of time, you have to figure out some way of charging up your batteries. Do a search on that topic and you can read more if you're so inclined. We haven't invested in a generator yet, but would like to get the Honda 2000.

The converter is built into the TM. Newer TM's have a more advanced model than the older ones, not sure what year they switched over. You can always upgrade, this has also been discussed here.

We don't have an LP gauge, and I don't think that they have them with the newer ones either.

DH is dear husband and DW is dear wife (well, most of the time, anyway!).

As far as climbing over each other to get out of bed, well that's sort of a hassle. We've always had to do that with the TT we had before, and also our cabover camper. People with the king size beds can sleep with their heads at the rear window, thus eliminating the climbing over. We don't "make up" the bed, just keep a sheet on the mattress and use sleeping bags and/or a down comforter. Some people like the Travasak sleep system, it's like a high-end sleeping bag, complete with detachable sheets that go inside the sleep sack.

Positive things? Well, I'll have to write more later!

RockyMtnRay
03-03-2005, 09:34 PM
I would like to ask just how hard is it to make up the permanent Queen size bed? Contour sheets sounds like a preference. I don't like the idea of climbing over each other during the night...especially following and evening when my thirst cannot be quenched and I drink two or three ice teas or a couple beers!

Because of their thin mattresses and need to slide unhindered, TrailManor beds are not particularly conducive to being "made" up with traditional residential type bedding. IMO, the best solution is a TravaSak (http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?deptID=&subOf=349&prodID=3928&src=TSC)...basically a very high end sleeping bag with velcro-in/removable high thread-count percale sheets. One side of the Travasak "quilt" has thin insulation (summer); one side has thicker insulation (winter). Yeah pricey but IMO well worth the money. Spread out a Travsak looks like a comforter on the bed. I used an ordinary sleeping bag my first two seasons with a TM and the Travasak was a major step up in comfort and appearance.

If you use battery powered lamps for light, and only use trailer lights for very brief periods.....does anyone know how long the battery lasts with running the frig on it?

At most 4 to 5 hours if the battery is brand new. The standard Group 27 "RV/Marine" battery is not a true deep cycle battery and will lose a lot of its storage capacity if you deep discharge it more than 4 to 5 times. Those of us who do a lot of boondock camping have replaced the standard battery with a pair of 6 volt Golf Cart batteries.

No one has mentioned a Honda generator for dry camping.

Not many folks who do extended boondock camping here...nearly everyone uses campgrounds with hookups...and many/most of us who do regularly boondock have installed solar panels. Generally, solar is much better for battery recharging than a generator. Generators are best for high current draw applications...running the air conditioner or a microwave.

Is there a guage to show how much LP gas remains in the tanks?

Yes.

I hear talk about a "converter." Ignorant regarding a lot to do with electrical matters. Is a "converter" something "extra" one needs to purchase? Or is
it built in? Does it convert the current from AC to DC and vis versa?

A "converter" converts 120 V AC to 12 V DC. A converter is built into the trailer. Most of the key circuits in a TM (water pump, lighting, furnace) are 12 V DC.

I talked to my tire man today while having new tires put on our Tundra. He
said he only will run 8 ply tires on his travel trailer. He said the tires do not hold up the weight of the trailer. Air does that! You don't often think of it
that way. He said he talks to RV people all the time who are running 5000 pounds with 37 or so pounds in the tires. Does everyone run 8 ply tires?

He also said Goodyear runs a steel belt around the inner circle of the tire.....the part that meets the rim. Bridgestone uses rubber. But it's so hard, he said, you can pound it with a hammer and not even leave a mark.
But it gives a much smoother ride. I've run Bridgestones on our vehicles for many many years, exclusively. Today with these new tires it's like riding on
a soft cloud. Even the steering is so soft feeling. And quiet! He also said
to rotate tires every 4000 instead of 5000 as I have in the past. I got 72,000 miles on a set on our Buick Regal once, by faithfully rotating the tires every 5000 miles and keeping air pressure up. That was incredible! Those were Bridgestones too.

The best tire you can put on your Tundra for towing is the Michelin LTX M/S in the 265/75-16 size in a Load Range C. Extremely long life (70 to 90 thousand miles is normal), very good traction, and has a "6 ply" sidewall rating. This is a "Light Truck" tire with stiffer sidewalls so it is very resistant to trailer induced sway.

Avoid Goodyear for towing...quality has dropped a lot in the past few years.

The Bridgestone "Revo" tires are highly rated for traction and load carrying but don't have nearly the tread life of the Michelin LTX tires.

As for the trailer tires, it's critical the 14 inch tires on the 2619/2720 trailers be pumped to exactly 50 PSI. Under no circumstances should these tires be run at a lower pressure than the maximum on the tire sidewall and certainly never at a dangerously low pressure like 37 PSI :eek:

PopBeavers
03-03-2005, 11:40 PM
I don't have my 2720 (yet). Only one week into the order wait time so far. I have been reading about the various complaints etc. and found it interesting that someone else’s complaint didn't matter to me. It seems like this conversation might (unfortunately) scare some prospective buyers away.

Major topics seem to be:

1. necessity of climbing over each other in the bed
2. crowded with 4 adults
3. condensation
4. ability of spouse to open/close solo
5. toilet
6. low cabinets
7. making the bed when you can't walk around it

Here is my perspective, plus a few other tidbits of opinions after that.

1. necessity of climbing over each other in the bed

I take the back side. By the time I need to get up to use the restroom in the morning my back is sore enough that I won't be going back to bed anyway. This is a non-issue for us.

2. crowded with 4 adults

Our two primary uses will be attending mountain bike races and weekend getaways. Our kids are 21 and 24, but still only kids. At the bike races our son’s friends frequently hang out with us because we have free food and drinks. Good way to get to meet your kid’s friends for a nominal cost. There is no trailer around that will accommodate a dozen adults. So we hang out around a camp fire anyway. As the saying goes "It never rains in California". Weekend getaways will be just the two of us. Someday we may end up with grand kids. It will likely be another 15 years before the oldest is 10.

3. condensation

This is California. We don't have high humidity. No issue for us. I've been to Chicago, Milwaukee, NYC, DC, Houston and New Orleans. The humidity is intolerable and I can’t imagine why anyone goes there. Salt Lake City, Phoenix, Albuquerque, Idaho, Aspen, Yellowstone are all WONDERFUL places. I avoid anyplace where the humidity exceeds the temperature.

4. ability of spouse to open/close solo

My wife was skeptical. At the RV show they had a model set up to demonstrate opening and closing the TM. My wife was able to open it and close it by herself with one hand. But, she did have to use her right hand. She has bad knees and can't do much for exercise so she certainly is not above average for strength. I think she is around 5 foot 7. Being the nicest guy that I know I won't disclose her age, but we first met as class mates in 7th grade. I'm 51 for a few more months.

5. toilet

Like I said, my wife has bad knees. She will be welcome to use the toilet any time she wants. I see no reason for her to climb down the steps if she is already inside. Anyone sleeping inside is welcome in the middle of the night. Anyone causing unnecessary strain on the holding tank is welcome to help me drain it or they will be unwelcome in the future. This philosophy has worked in the past when we borrowed my in-laws motor home. Most guests are accommodating once they understand the issues.

6. low cabinets

Oh well, this one will be an issue. I can't win them all.

7. making the bed when you can't walk around it

We use sleeping bags. I plan on investigating the Travasak. It seems to be rather popular.

Now for a few other tidbits:

At some of the mountain bike races it can get muddy. The in-laws motor home had carpets and my mother in-law was rather picky about dirty carpets. She had little throw rugs everywhere. We ordered our TM with full vinyl flooring. I plan on getting some remnant carpet and having it cut to size and the edges finished off. Possibly in more than one section for ease of removal. Then I can take the carpet in and out at will. I'm sure it is warmer with the carpet but easier to sweep with vinyl flooring. Ask me again in another year if this worked out well.

I became curious about putting a larger axle and bigger 15 inch wheels on the 2720. I called the factory today. According to Mike, he has only seen two 2720's built with the larger axle/wheel. It can be done but requires building the trailer outside of the normal assembly line. I understood that to mean longer wait time and higher cost. I abandoned that plan. I'll add the lift kit later if I need it. Mike assured me that the axle will tolerate anything we want to fill the trailer up with as long as the rock collection stays home. That was good enough for me.

I also asked Mike about the feasibility of me removing the roof a/c if I needed more head room getting in and out of the garage. It occurred to me that this might allow me to add the lift kit and still get into the garage if it is too tall. Mike explained that it was only four bolts and a few wires, However, unlike some other unnamed trailer manufacturers, the TM a/c has silicone sealant that would not be advisable to mess with repeatedly. But at least I know not to try that unnecessarily. Mike was pretty nice to talk with.

Mike also was confident that with a Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab as a TV that I would have no need for sway bars or WD hitch. I’ll start out that way and see how it works out. The trip from the dealer to the house will be 120 miles.

I’m so excited that I went to Camping World twice in one week to look around. Friends at the office were amazed that I had enough willpower to NOT buy anything.

YWORRYDOG
03-04-2005, 05:24 AM
Ok, I will add my thoughts, when we get to a campsite that has no electric, I find that the battery is not fully charged. That is from running the fridge, and fan. I think the problem is that the battery is so far from the alternator in the truck. (Voltage drop)

We have only one 12 V battery but it is the bigger one. I simply plug the TM into the Yamaha EF 1000 is. We run it for a while on low quite speed. It operates the water pump, and any lights that we may need. At the same time it gives the battery a full charge. We have no problem with then running on just the battery with heat for the night. Yes the TV is on, but it will operate on 12v. The Yamaha is actually lighter then another battery, and can be carried in the TV.

If you are looking for a TRAVASACK Check with KATIE at [email protected] best price!!!

aldebnj
03-04-2005, 06:52 AM
At the suggestion of our dealer, MCD in MA, we start to make the bed up before pulling it fully into place. That allows us to get the outside corners all set. We then move to the inside and do the corner behind the bathroom wall before setting the bathroom up. That makes it much easier.

My 5' 2" DW and similarly sized youngest DD have both opened the shells of our TM and set it up. My DW wanted to be sure she could do it in case something happened to me and my DD just wanted to show off.

Happy Camping,
Al

Frenchy
03-04-2005, 07:11 AM
The Queen size Travasak is on sale at RV Parts Outlet for $134.95.
https://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/newstore/nojava/getcatinfo.cfm?refid=D8C62B49%2DDB18%2D4445%2D94A2 E582193C461C&cat=travasak

B_and_D
03-04-2005, 01:52 PM
I forgot another thing that's "bad", well, sometimes, about the TM. When it rains hard outside, it can sound really loud inside. When we were in Yosemite in October, it started POURING around midnight, and although everybody else went right to sleep, I had to get out my earplugs. They worked well enough and I fell asleep after awhile, too.

On the other hand, when it's raining lightly, I enjoy the sound of the rain on the roof; plus we don't usually camp in the rain!

hal
03-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Having the trailer level is a must for many reasons, including being able to raise the roof sections. But, there is a method of raising the roof if you don't have the trailer level. After having major surgery followed by another major surgery couple years ago, I was extremely weakened. I had leveled th trailer and then tried to raise the roofs but didn''t have the strength to even budge it. It probably would have meant a return to the hospital if I were to continue to try. Talk about frustration. Then, being that the front shell is the first to be raised, I got the idea to lower the tongue jack (electric) as low as it would go. The front roof almost raised itself then. Next, I raised the tongue jack all the way up so that the back of the trailer was at its lowest point. Now I could raise the rear section very easily. After the roof sections were clamped in their open position, I leveled the trailer by placing a level on the sink. Later, I lowered the roof sections by this process. I really felt proud being able to do it all by myself. I showed my wife how I did it, should she ever find the need to raise and lower the tailer by herself. Also, if you were thinking about an electric tongue jack, I say to go for it.

Hal

YWORRYDOG
03-05-2005, 05:06 AM
Sometimes it is the simple stuff that is so ingenious! Thanks Hal, hope I can remember that if I need it.

fishnbum
03-05-2005, 05:34 AM
I have a '00 2619, purchased new. The TM is a pretty good trailer, I have enjoyed mine and pretty much lived in it the last 4 summers. With that said......

The TM does not seem to be a very good "off-road" machine.

My biggest complaint is dust. Just a few miles down a dry dusty road and I get to spend an hour cleaning. From the door on back, everything, and I mean everything, will have a healthy coat of dust (top of the stove very brown, not black). The front portion is not too bad, but still..
I will be forever greatful if anyone has a fix for this problem.

Next, are the latches at the back of the trailer. Even if I put something in lock hole to keep them from popping open, they still come loose so the back of the trailer is not secured. (This definitely can't be helping out my dust problem) I can only guess a hard bounce is jaring the latches loose.

Road bounce has apparently caused the back bed to bounce hard enough to break thru the cheap plastic guide the support rods slide along. So I have a piece of colored rope tied to one of the rods to remind me to check and put the rod piece back into the plastic guide before pulling out the bed.

And a piece of duct tape over the plastic knob for holding the top portion of door closed KEEPS the door closed. Otherwise knob turns and the door flys open.

Last, but not least, tire wear. My guess is the tires are toed-in, they smooth out on the outside of the tire. Problem started with the driver side and progressed to the street side. I replaced one tire with the spare, then rotated the tires a couple of times. Finally had the tires dismounted and flipped so the brand-new looking insides were on the outside. With a bit over 20K miles, the trailer is not going anywhere without new tires. The dealer said to balance the tires. They have been balanced since my 3rd or 4th trip when he told me to balance the tires as the answer to why my oven started to fall out (loose screws) and the oven door to fall off and the oven door handle to fall off. The dealer pointed me to a place that supposedly can align a straight axle. I have my doubts, but for 50 bucks guess it won't hurt.

Advice to any who purchase a new TM. Get the wrenches and screwdrivers to fit every nut/bolt screw on the TM. And some spare pieces of hardware. You WILL use the tools and need the spares during your 1st 10 outings.

Happy TMing

JessWD
03-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Since I requested a list of all the "bugs" you don't like in a TM, and I now
see a 5 star on this post.....does this mean I get a free Pepparoni Pizza?

What does 5 stars mean?

Jess

B_and_D
03-16-2005, 08:28 PM
It means that someone (me) rated this a very good thread. I did that because I think people are being really honest about what they do and don't like about their TM's and that this particular thread will be helpful to others who are considering buying one.

I like pizza too. If you buy a TM and we ever end up in a campground together, I might consider buying!

:) :) :)

Cateye
03-17-2005, 10:26 AM
I too, think that it is important to present both sides of the satisfaction issue. We had a very bad workmanship issue with our TrailManor, that required its return to the factory (contact me by e-mail if you would like the details). After its return, we found that the factory had created addional workmanship issues that bordered on dangerous:new_cussi .

We have now resolved these issues, decided to put them behind us, and enjoy our investment. Since then, We have had very few complaints :) . Just the minor problems like screws continuing to fall out etc.

Unlike others, we use our TrailManor off-road (living in Western Colorado presents some interesting camping challenges) and have had no problems with dust or damage. We do take the time to pack it tightly and pad with towels and blankets to keep loose items and furniture from moving during transit. We also pad the bathroom walls to keep them from "banging" together.

There is something about the TM that we really enjoy but we have not been able to "put our finger on it". I think it has something to do with owning a unique camper and the fact that it is cozy and relaxing to camp in.

Walt Spangler
04-19-2005, 04:55 PM
hello Jess, I purchased a 2005 2720SL after much research.
the wife had a bad experience with the conventional trailer [her ex almost lost it--anti sway not tightened]. therefore, either pop-up, Hi-Lo, otr TM.
popup--forget it- canvas drying issues.
we looked at the Hi-Lo and honestly the workmanship leaves a lot to be desired. Crawl under the Hi-Lo-particle board, painted black: the TM
totally insulated and encased in aluminum. Weight- another issue.
I tow mine with a 1994 jeep grand cherokee w/ trailer package and was assured that it would "climb" the big hills [Rockies] with no trouble.
also, in order to keep weight down, no china, etc. [also for breakage and glass shards] We bought the lightest weight cooking and serving utensils we could find [Wal-Mart "specials].
I have no problem with the battery operating the fridge when traveling. Guess it has to do with how the system is hooked up to the tow vehicle.
Condensation only happenend on a cold, rainy, dreary night.
And I am 70 years old, weigh 170 at 5'7" and can open and close the TM alone, if set level, as the "book" states. the wife is 5'4" 145 and ,yes. does struggle, but can "operate" it.
Of course, there is always something that will displease you , but as the saying goes"just get over it".

Walt

Seleya
04-20-2005, 09:39 AM
I have a 2000 3124KB and am 5'4". While I am athletic, I can open the trailer without a problem. The repairguy even remarked how he thought it would be a pull and it just lifted in his hands. When I open the trailer on uneven surfaces (usually when I meet friends on the way to dog shows and need to throw their stuff into the trailer), I use the bumper to push off of (not usually necessary but it helps on big hills). None of my friends have had a problem opening it either and even my young nieces can do it.

I initially had some problems with fit and finish and workmanship issues. When you pay what I paid for a trailer, you expect screws to be screwed (or even present). We fixed things up as we went along and only occasionally have to tighten something. We use a lightweight bungee from the wheel on the door to the top of the awning just to keep the door in check -- they sure could use something there a wee bit more effective than that silly little plastic stop.

I got the 3124KB for the room (I was told by rving friends before buying that the #1 mistake people make was underestimating "comfort" room). I also wanted the double couches instead of the dinette and the king bed in the back. We have *comfortably* travelled with 4 women -- two on the king bed, one on the front bed and another on the fold-out couch. We have also entertained more friends inside with the larger couches, a chair in the aisle and even someone lounging on the front bed. All this and at least 2 retrievers running amok in the trailer. :rolleyes:

Overall, I really enjoy my trailer. It has proven to be amazingly stable, including staying steady when a WHEEL fell off my 1992 E150 van -- the tow truck men took one look at my rig sitting stationary at the end of a hilly off-ramp in a monsoon, the wheel sticking out from under the van at a 20 degree angle being held on by one, very bent and failing bolt, and remarked they couldn't believe they weren't pulling pieces out of a ditch! :new_Eyecr It is roomy, it doesn't control my life while travelling and it is very comfortable (I like the beds).

Vicky

katbird
04-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Just finished our first trip in our new 3124KB, over 2,000 miles to Big Bend National Park and back. Loved our TM--it was very easy to tow and I'm a pretty nervous driver, but it went pretty well once I got some practice passing, pulling into gas stations, etc. Haven't gotten parking down yet, but there is always another camper there who directs me (and doesn't get exasperated, like DH does!).

My only complaints are:
1) The water pump is noisy.
2) It adds 20 minutes to breakdown time folding up and storing all the bedding. (Can the trailer be closed over a Travasak that is left on the bed?)
3)The stovetop grate bounced off onto the floor going over (extremely) bumpy I-10 in Louisiana--evidently there are some clips, but they don't hold very well or I don't know how to fasten them correctly. (The fastener that holds the outside storage area door closed also broke off during that phase of the trip. I still think it was the bad road.)
4) You can't fill the fresh water tank with the trailer folded. (I did read one post about doing it upside down through the drain valve? Sounded complicated and time-consuming.) Looking through the front window and seeing the cap right there so temptingly close, yet so inaccessible. . . has anyone tried to rig the window so they can open it from the outside? I sure wish the factory would solve this problem with some sort of outside window opening and closing/locking mechanism.

We picked up a nail somewhere and had a flat on the TM. It was very scary because we had just arrived at Big Bend when we noticed it and the park is a v-e-r-y long way from ANYWHERE. A very nice man at the Panther Junction gas station inside the park changed it and patched it for us (even staying 20 minutes after closing time to finish) and it held up well throughout the rest of the trip and home. (But you do have to open the trailer to change the tire! I wouldn't like that much had we been on the side of the road instead of at a gas station.) The lug nuts were so tight he spent 30 minutes and it took all his strength to get them loose.

These are my only complaints and I consider them minor ones. The bed slept great with just a 1 1/2 inch memory foam addition, all of the appliances worked great. Plenty of room for 2 adults. We dry camped for 6 nights and the dealer-provided battery stayed on G (I'm assuming the indicator works correctly). We used battery-operated Coleman lanterns for light at night since we had read that the cabin lights deplete the battery. Didn't need the furnace or air conditioner. Cooked outside most of the time and used mostly paper plates, but did wash the silverware, an occasional pot, and glasses (dumped my dishwater in the drains provided by the campground when my holding tank started showing 2/3 full) and of course used the pay showers (next time I think I could sneak in at least 2 showers in the trailer without exhausting the holding tank). Took bottled water for drinking and the fresh water tank was nowhere near empty, gray water on 2/3, and toilet nowhere near full when we left (used it all the time except for #2). I was really pleased with the way the trailer lived and everything worked.

So far I have not been able to open the trailer by myself (easy when both of us pull, though) but I can close it by myself except that occasionally it takes two of use to lock the bars (the ones midways of the sides of the trailer)--one to push down and the other to push the clamp into place. It seems to be getting easier the more it is opened and closed, though. Next time I want to try the trick posted earlier about lowering the jack on the front and then the rear prior to opening the shells.)

Have to say that all of the knowledge I gained from this website made a huge difference in the success of this trip with two novices. The orientation at the dealer's and the owner's manual just wouldn't have sufficed!

Kat

Glenn in TN
04-24-2005, 02:58 PM
It's taken me a while to read this whole thread (its been a while since I've been on.) My wife usually tows our TM with her Excursion (overkill I know - but we had a Dodge Caravan when we 1st upgraded from the popup). She usually has it put up before I get back from the bathroom (she hates to stop on the road - we're oposite of the norm). Of course she is a fortysomething MS redneck girl.

The biggest complaint I have (besides still having some set up/down) is the dinette seats. Ours is a 1997 2619 and when I sit on the cushions very long, I feel like they are concrete.

I have the biggest deep cycle battery from our local Bass Pro Shop and it has lasted us over 6 days of dry camping in the Smoky Mountains. It is about dead the last night (lights very dim and pump working slower - I know that can't be good for it) but it makes it. We do run the fridge on propane with out the vent fan.

About the bedding issue, we used to travel with our beds made. My wife sleeps on the front bed with one kid and I on the back with the other. She insists on: 1 sleeping bab, 2" foam egg crate, sheets, and comforter. I noticed after doing this on several trips that the spring latches were pulling off of the tops. Now they are very bent and won't hold the tops down. She tells me that there is plenty of clearance inside and her bed clothes can't be the problem. All those with DW's - HELP!

fcatwo
04-24-2005, 05:03 PM
I haven't contributed anything to this thread so I'll add a couple of comments:

(1) The beds: They are not a problem for us because we are happy with the standard mattresses, use TravaSaks and can close without problems. If they were a problem I think I'd look into adding spacers to the hold-down latches so the tops don't have to come down quite so far. An inch or two of extra highth should solve the problem for most people.

(2) The toilet: I think this problem will be put to rest when Ray, Bill and others move to larger TMs and figure out (and share with the TM factory) a way to add a black-water holding tank with vents to replace the existing system. The smaller TMs probably don't have room underneath for another tank but the larger ones should. Had I not found this site and learned that our E-Magic toilets has an internal fuse that had blown I would have probably replaced ours with a marine toilet rather than spend money on the Thetford. I found a toilet in a boating catalog that was essentially a 9-gal, above-floor holding tank with a flapper toilet on top of it. It had the same base dimensions as the E-Thetford and should have been easy enought to plumb into the existing drain. I've heard that others have replaced their E-Ts so there are probably several opptions. Venting would be the major hurdle but that must be solvable .

Bill
04-24-2005, 07:26 PM
We have had no problems with the toilet - but still, I'm intrigued. Can you tell us more about the marine toilet you describe (mfr and model)? I did a quick scan of West Marine and didn't see it.

I don't think venting is a big obstacle. DancinCampers did a nice through-wall vent project last July, as I recall. A SEARCH turns it up.

Bill

RockyMtnRay
04-24-2005, 08:13 PM
(1) The beds: They are not a problem for us because we are happy with the standard mattresses, use TravaSaks and can close without problems.

I'll second this notion...I find a TravaSak on top of the regular mattress more than enough padding. Probably helps that I do hours of high intensity physical activity every day when I'm out camping. :) The TravaSak compresses nicely...I've never had a problem with closing the shells even though I just leave the Travasak on the rear bed when I close the trailer.

(2) The toilet: I think this problem will be put to rest when Ray, Bill and others move to larger TMs and figure out (and share with the TM factory) a way to add a black-water holding tank with vents to replace the existing system.
'Twon't be me. Since I travel solo (and fully intend to continue doing so :) ), my 2720SL is just the right size...big enough to not feel claustrophobic but small enough to fit in my garage.

As for a smell, I gotta ask what smell? :confused: Probably because I only use the toilet for urination (but do use a full 8 oz bottle of Thetford blue stuff per charge), I've never had a problem with smell...and I do have very sensitive nose. I dump the toilet only when it gets full...which is usually after about 7-10 camping days.

fcatwo
04-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Bill: Sorry but I don't have info on the marine toilet. I went through that process a little over a year ago (maybe two) while we were down in the Texas Rio Grand Valley and the marine toilet was in a catalog our local RV repair/parts place had. I came within an inch of ordering one but we were nearing the end of our stay and I wasn't sure it would arrive before we left. It cost about $400.00 as I recall and after finding out I could fix the Thetford with a $0.25 fuse I couldn't justify looking into it again. It was a fairly heavy fiberglass structure by the way. I assume they didn't want to get sued by some 400lb guy who found it didn't hold up when he was being bounced around in rough seas :-). I'll sleep on it and see if I can remember more.

Ray: Our use of the TM toilet matches yours exactly and we don't have an odor problem either. We did use the toilet in our 5th wheel for more serious business but it had a large vented holding tank. We would do the same in the TM if equally equipped but we don't consider it a problem-- more an acceptable accomodation to gain the benefits of downsizing. I considered replacing it primarily because I thought I was about to spend $150.00- $200.00 to replace the pump in the E-Magic.

braymon2
06-08-2005, 11:29 AM
I am a "prospective buyer" living in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. While I feel this particular thread is one of the best I've ever seen for giving out useful info on TM, I really have to agree with PopBeaver about scaring prospective buyers away.I've read the entire thread and I'm just not sure about buying a TM. Since I need to buy a new PU anyways,I'm thinking maybe I should consider a "regular" TT. All these problems with batteries, converters, electrical in general cause me concern.Yeah, I'd probably have similar problems with a TT as well.

Some of the things mentioned are in my mind really minor ( cabinets low etc.) Some of the other stuff does not seem so minor. From a prospective buyers viewpoint one of the most positive aspects to this thread is that I believe just about everyone said they really liked their TM.

My wife and I are experienced tent campers who just want off the ground.What drew me to TM was the easy setup and easy tow.If I do go with TM I'm thinking I should go with the 5000# axle. Sounds like a wise move.

If there is anyone on here from central FL who has purchased a TM from Cooper's RV I'd really be interested in your comments.

This is an excellent website that also has some very helpful ideas.You should not take my concerns as a put-down to TM but more form a real newbie w/o your experience.

Bill R.

TexasThunder
06-08-2005, 12:36 PM
I'm not experienced but as a recent newbie who went thru the decision making process, there were two high priority items on my list that the TM could deliver. Easy towing. Its low profile allows it to go down the freeway and not get blown around by big trucks passing by or high winds. If you only do local stuff then this may not be a concern. The other is I didn't want to store it offsite (I wanted to keep it handy for whatever), meaning the TM is invisible to my neighbors and the HOA won't be contacting me. Your situation may be different.
Its not perfect for sure, but the things it does well, it does very well.

grill-n-go
06-08-2005, 06:34 PM
I am a "prospective buyer" living in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. While I feel this particular thread is one of the best I've ever seen for giving out useful info on TM, I really have to agree with PopBeaver about scaring prospective buyers away.I've read the entire thread and I'm just not sure about buying a TM. Since I need to buy a new PU anyways,I'm thinking maybe I should consider a "regular" TT. All these problems with batteries, converters, electrical in general cause me concern.Yeah, I'd probably have similar problems with a TT as well.

Some of the things mentioned are in my mind really minor ( cabinets low etc.) Some of the other stuff does not seem so minor. From a prospective buyers viewpoint one of the most positive aspects to this thread is that I believe just about everyone said they really liked their TM.

My wife and I are experienced tent campers who just want off the ground.What drew me to TM was the easy setup and easy tow.If I do go with TM I'm thinking I should go with the 5000# axle. Sounds like a wise move.

If there is anyone on here from central FL who has purchased a TM from Cooper's RV I'd really be interested in your comments.

This is an excellent website that also has some very helpful ideas.You should not take my concerns as a put-down to TM but more form a real newbie w/o your experience.

Bill R.

You are right all the electrical stuff is the same in a TM as in a TT.
We have a TM because we can keep it in our garage. Fringe benefit, easy towing.

We use our bathroom/toilet exclusively with an 8 Oz. bottle of the chemical never had a problem with odor or whatever.

Since getting our TM, We've discovered that we can get into some cool places that only allow small pop-ups .

Bottom line is that we got into a TM thinking we were settleing for something less than a TT because of our storage limitations. Now we would'nt buy into the towing problems of a TT even if storage was not an issue.

BOB_STRONG
06-08-2005, 07:13 PM
I don't care what brand RV you buy or how much it cost, you will have some problems with something. It's built on an assembly line by humans. Every RV has pros & cons to it. For us, the pros outway the cons for the TrailManor. I didn't have to buy a huge tow vehicle to pull our 3326King. I still get decent gas mileage with my Durango. Now a days this is very important with the price of gas going up all of the time.

Another great selling point for the TrailManor is the resale value. We are on our third TrailManor, and we received an excellent trade in price for our 2 TrailManors. From what I hear, they have one of the best resale values of RV's on the market.

The ease of set up is great. Towing you have one size unit, and when open, you have added another 6 feet of length.There is a little learning curve, but if you had a popup, then the TrailManor will be a breeze.

Sure, I would like to see a larger refrig . It would be nice to have a permanent screen door, but these are things you have to over look. Don't forget yhat the TrailManor comes with the same name brand appliances
as other RV's. They all can break or have defects.

Having owned TrailManors since 1992, I can say that we are very happy with the TrailManor. The best part is that the TrailManor company stands behind the product. You could not find a greater company to deal with. Anytime that I needed a part, Jimmy Davis and now Ed Lytle are there to serve you. For me this is very important instead of getting a run around when you call a company because you need something.

It's hard to find this kind of service. The people at TrailManor know how important it is to keep a customer happy.

TandemKids
06-10-2005, 04:24 PM
We bought our TM 2619 new in Jan. 04 and tow it with a 97 Blazer that is equipped with a V6 engine and has 120k miles on it ( We did have a Transmission cooler installed). Our TM tows like a breeze, and although we have had a few minor problems it, we would buy another one in a New York minute. I would love to get my hands on the King size TM with the larger bed and separate dinette.

As far as buying a pop-up trailer, I would say this: We bought a new Forest River pop-up, kept it for three months, and then took a hosing and traded it off for our TM. While I don't recommend doing what we did unless you have a lot of discretionary money lying around, I am glad that we have the TM instead of the pop-up.

Happy Camping,

Michael

fcatwo
06-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Bill

You asked a couple of months ago about a marine toilet I had checked out that has an above floor 9-gallon holding tank and could serve as a replacement for the electric Thetford. I haven't found that one but I did Google up a SeaLand Marine Traveler 711-M28 that is very similar and about the same size. Our TM is closed so I can't check the floor dimensions in the bath but I'll bet the 711-M28 will fit. It will probably require fairly heavy modification but a determined person should accomplish that easily. It is priced from $360.00 to over $500.00 at the various online dealers.

Our Thetford is not causing problems but I suspect I'll look into one of these if it does.

Queeniereads
06-27-2005, 07:09 AM

Bill R.

I am just learning how to include the quotes, so excuse me for leaving the whole thing in. I just wante to reply to a few points. We had a TT before the TM. Besides the fact that we totlaled it, we loved it. But, our new TM is giving us 14 miles to the gal and the same floor space that we had with our TT. Even though it was a lightweight TT (Grand Surveyor), we only got 8 to 9 miles to the gallon. THe TM is easier to tow. It is easier to back into spots. It is easy to set up. THe only things we miss (we have the 3124KS) are a real dinette on a slide unit and the bigger refrigerator. We bought a plug in cooler to take care of the food overflow -- like sodas and cookies. We would recommend the TM. We are approaching 60 and it is very easy to handle. We forsee keeping this unit for quite awhile. Queeniereads aka Judi

mav1124
07-17-2005, 08:59 AM
Well I have been reading these threads on the Pros and Cons of a TM. Well having owned a 30' Airstream TT, sold it and still have a 36'Alpine Coach motor home. wife won't let me get rid of the "beast" all RV's all have problems. Try getting the AC unit repaired, toilet, anything. Ya, talk about expensive. The smaller units are soo nice and easy pull and work on. I live Orlando, Fla and humidity and rain are part of life. The condensation well it's part of life, I had it in my Airstream. Just bought a fan and let it run to move the air around. I am looking at the 2720SL or SD cause we travel and fish with our canoes and kayaks.. It's just two of us.
The unit we looked at in Orlando, my wife opened and closed the TM by herself and she is no wonder women. Sure a large frig would be nice, but come on, these are "travel trailers not apartments. If you want bigger buy a bus, now let me tell you those problems are bigger.

I found this site and thread to be extremely helpful. we like the layout of the 2720SL, the chair and couch make it homey. Easy to setup, Easy to tow.
Big draw backs:Not crazy about the bed position and toilet and water & gray tank capacity.

But I do favor the option for the heavier axle and the 15" tires.
Question ? : We had a full screened porch on the Airstream and the Alpine, can a full screened porch be added to the awning on the TM is so who makes one ?
The toilet seems to be a pain on the TM. Can or will TM install for a price a better vented/fanned unit ?

Denny_A
07-17-2005, 10:53 AM
.........snp......
Question ? : We had a full screened porch on the Airstream and the Alpine, can a full screened porch be added to the awning on the TM is so who makes one ?
Fiamma (awning maker) have a rather expensive enclosure, which most folks aren't wlling to consider.

Another member pointed out that J.C. Whitney have a less expensive, but not CHEAP, Screen Enclosures at the following link:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2002627/showCustom-0/p-2002627/N-111+600005202+0/c-10107

HTH - Denny_A

mav1124
07-17-2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks Dennyfor info on the screen. We will look both up.

mav1124
07-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Denny this is really interesting. In checking the "Fiamma (awning maker)" website, it's right in my home town. How cool and thanks again.

Denny_A
07-17-2005, 06:30 PM
Denny this is really interesting. In checking the "Fiamma (awning maker)" website, it's right in my home town. How cool and thanks again......clear, but Fiamma make the awning installed on TrailManors. Of course, as you now know, they also make top-drawer "screen enclosures" to accessorize their awning.

In your town? I've fired up my super-computer to compute the odds of such a convergence of coincidence on a particular planet in the Solar System. Should only take about 6-7 yrs to finish the calculations:rolleyes:!

Denny_A

Speckul8r
10-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Great set of posts!!
Looks like I'm the only one who has had any real issues with the TM.
1. Smushed and cut wires in the exterior wiring harness that shorted to the frame.
2. Water leak.
3. Wires (3) not connected in the back of the reefer. Mabe that's why the ice cream was soft after a 7 hour drive!! :new_bdays
4. Wires in the back of the reefer laying against the reefers "HOT Tube". Nasty, nasty burnt plastic smell.
I was fortunate to have a decent dealer who rectified the first 2 problems in a timely manner. I managed the other 2.
I should also point out that I've only owned the unit (2720) for a month. Have only been able to take 1 trip of 500 miles but enjoyed the unit completely.
I've towed many a trailer, mostly boats of all sizes (14-24'), but the Sierra hardly knows it's there. Truck is a 5.4L V8 4X4 with tow package and dead weight hitch.
Temp was 37 one night and the furnace worked great!!
Bed was quite comfortable.
No problem or nasty smells with the head which was used for, ummm, all occasions.
We went from a Jayco 1006 pop-up to this and can put this thing up in less than 1/2 the time. My wife is 5'2" 128# and can do the lift with no problem. We're both still shy of 60.
The dealer did some tweaking of the torsion bars and the unit halves to make the seals seat better and improved the setup ease tremendously.
Did anyone mention how quiet this thing is inside?? Hickory nuts falling on it are kinda loud but........ :D
All in all, I'm very comfortable with the TM and look forward to using it some more. These problems may have an upside in that I've become pretty familiar with some of the major systems. This web site is a great resource for anyone who owns a TM or is looking at them to buy.
:new_newbi

countrygirl
09-11-2006, 08:58 PM
I am 5 ft 2 and 1/2 and I opened and closed a 2720SL this weekend by myself.

Bill
09-12-2006, 06:21 AM
Thanks for posting, Countrygirl. We've had quite a bit of discussion about this, but IIRC, no real reported experience. This should help a number of people who are concerned about the same thing.

Bill

Queeniereads
09-13-2006, 11:06 AM
We bought our TM after a horrific accident while towing a TT. We feel safe towing this camper and the gas milage is so much better. Now, about the beds...we sleep on a Comfort Select air bed at home and nothing else feels as good, so I always complain about the bed. We put an inch of memory foam on it and cover it with a pillow top mattress pad. It barely makes the allowance, and we do not want to stress the "clamps." I read in this thread about "spacers." Is there really such a thing to extend the "clamps" or is it on a wish list? I do not relish making up the bed each time, but if you do it with the bed slid out part way, it is manageable. We added white wash basins under all the counters (Walmart) and have found them okay. After our accidnet, safety comes first. We will put up with all of the minor inconveniences --- no matter how big or expensive teh rig, I have yet to find that nobody has any complaints. Queeniereads aka Judi

Cowboy Cody
09-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Well, not too much to complain about, I guess I am still young enough to put up with some of the inconveniences:
i.e. having to remove the propane tanks to fill.
Crawling on the floor to find things in the low cabinet. (Need to install slide and tubs)
My biggest complaint would have to be the poorly designed table leg adjusters on the fold down tables on our 2720 SL. Maybe it just me, but I think they are cheap and somewhat unsafe. The clips have a tendency to misalign and become stuck. I worry about getting sliced while making adjustments. I found the easiest way to put them back together is to remove the leg from the table and reassemble and then re-screw back on to the tabletop. Anyone else had trouble with the leg adjustments on the fold down table s on the 2720SL?
Kind regards,
Cowboy Cody

commodor47
09-01-2007, 06:09 PM
. . .Anyone else had trouble with the leg adjustments on the fold down table s on the 2720SL?
Kind regards,
Cowboy Cody

We have experienced a similar issue with one of the table legs. It was corrected without having to remove the leg. The cause seems to be related to collapsing the leg when stowing the table. If you push up too hard on the leg it will get stuck (probably travels just enough beyond the locking tab/button to bind). Usually a little gentle persuasion will get the tab to release the inner leg. However, sometimes the tab breaks free and then it is a real challenge to get things lined up. Then again we've only had few instances where the table leg adjustment has malfunctioned.

wbmiller3
09-01-2007, 06:18 PM
I haven't had that problem, but all the screws holding the leg(s) to the table pulled out quite a while ago and would not retighten (i.e. the leg feel off completely). I gorilla glued them in and have had no further issues.

tina22
07-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Hello, I just found this site today and it is FABULOUS! I'm sorry if I am repeating questions, but I've spent some time today trying to read what I can and this post seemed to be super informative. I was wondering if the TMs have changed over these past few years and if some of these pros/cons are different now with the new models.

Background: we have owned a pop-up for 3 years now, we are avid campers, 3 small children, and until this summer it has been great. But I have to say, I'm tired of having no room for anything, no bathroom, loud sleeping (I'm a very light sleeper so the outside noises with a pop-up make it very hard for me), I'd like a microwave/oven, and I'm liking the idea of each kid having their own sleeping space (i.e. bunk beds). I know I cannot have it all. I've been trying to research and trying to figure out what are the things I feel I need and what I can do without.

I've started to think the microwave/oven are not as important, the campfire does it all (as does the outside stove and my Coleman camping stove) and the bunk beds aren't absolutely necessary. I like the idea of having a low profile camper (we HAVE to store it on the side of our house out of the view of the neighborhood and a low profile camper is the only one that will hide) and its very windy where we live so a low camper is better.

We rarely hook up it seems, although its nice, most of the places we go to don't have hook-ups.

So, I was just wondering what the TM owners think now. The bathroom is very important, especially for going #2, I'm very tired of the nasty camp bathrooms and my kids seem to have to go all the time. A shower would be GREAT to be able to take, even just a quick rinse. A quiet sleep is nice, but having to crawl over others isn't. Plus I really want something that we don't have to make a bed each morning (need sleeping for 5). I want the kids to be able to have their spot for the whole trip without moving their sleeping bags/stuffed animals etc. each morning and then making it up again at night.

Our pop-up now is one of the biggest of its kind, the Coleman Utah, and there are many benefits to it. But really, its tiring having to take upwards of an hour to set up camp and easily over an hour to break it all down. It takes all morning the day we leave, and we can never plan to cook dinner the night we arrive b/c set-up takes so long.

Are any owners willing to jump back into this thread and start listing their pros-cons again, such as the toilet smell possibility (and along that line, I have no idea what even goes into a bathroom for a camper - how long to clean, how to clean, what the maintenance is etc.), the ease of opening/closing for a 5'3" woman, ... the other issues in this thread. Also, I have read in other posts that bugs can get inside, and the dust can get inside. We usually camp where it is often dusty and there are ALWAYS many bugs. We often drive over dirt/bumpy roads to get to our spot.

Sorry to be convoluted, just hoping to hear more opinions. I've narrowed to either a TM or Hi-Lo, but am still wondering if I would be most happy with what I already have? I'm worried about spending so much more money and finding out that what we had was best already. Any new thoughts/suggestions? Thank you so much.

Bill
07-01-2009, 06:34 PM
A couple quick answers - others will chime in with more complete stories.

To my nose, the toilet doesn't stink if you follow the directions. Sometimes you can smell the chemical, but even that is not much. Some people with very sensitive noses say they can smell it - I never do, nor does my wife. You'll have to judge for yourself whether you are in the "sensitve nose" or "no nose" category. But it is nothing like, for example, a pit toilet at a NPS campground - not even close.

If you are a 5'3" woman camping without someone more heavy, then I would advise against one of the slideout models. No matter how I try to deny it, you need a certain amount of physical strength, or weight, to pull the slider out and push it back in. If you have help, of course the story is different - anything goes. The shells, of course, are easy for one person to raise and lower if they are adjusted properly.

Bugs do not get in, any more than they do in your house. In other words, if you leave the door open, they will come in. But that's it.

A bit of dust gets in if you drive dry dusty roads (in the desert, for example). But in that case, it is easily wiped up with a damp cloth.

Cleaning the bathroom is not a chore. Having a dry bathroom (in other words, a real shower enclosure, as opposed to a wet bathroom) is wonderful.

Bunkbeds? Nope. Not going to happen. But the always-made-up front bed in a 2720, for example, is a wonderful thing for kids.

Crawling over the other? Seems to me to be an overblown problem. Since I am a gentleman of a certain age, I have to get up every two hours. So I sleep on the inner side, closest to the bathroom. My wife never gets up, so she sleeps on the outer side. Works fine for us. If you are part of a couple that both have to get up, then that's a different story, I suppose, and I'm pleased that it is not mine. So ask yourself how often you get up during the night at home.

If you often camp without hookups, stay with the standard gas stovetop and oven. They always work, with no hookups, and are a blessing when it's raining and you can't grill outside or have a campfire. If you decide you would like a microwave for the times you are hooked up, then buy an inexpensive one, lightweight, 600 watts or so, from WalMart. Carry it on the dinette seat or on the floor when you travel.

Setup and teardown are much faster than an hour. My wife and I usually figure that from the moment we roll out of bed in the morning, get showered, get dressed, make breakfast, eat breakfast, wash the breakfast dishes, pack up everything we've unpacked the night before, deal with the dog and cat, disconnect the utilities, put away the hoses and cables, dump the tanks, fold down, get rid of the trash, hitch up, check the campsite, and pull out - well, that may take an hour. But we are pretty leisurely when we travel. It can be done much faster.

And setup is faster in the evening when we arrive at a campground, because I know there is a martini waiting for me when it's done. To each his own, of course.

Hope this helps.

Bill

P and B
07-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Bill, I resonate with the martini comment...

To expand a little, we've got a big TM, the 3124. At this size, things get a little more difficult since the shells are bigger. It has a slide too. Oddly, I don't have any problem with the slide. I do have to grunt a bit to get it open but it really is just to get it started. Once it starts moving, they come up easily. I have trouble with the back latches only because we put a high density foam mattress topper (2") on the bed. If you can sleep on the stock mattress (I am evidently a princess) the latches aren't an issue either. Keep in mind that opening the shells takes two minutes and has almost nothing to do with pack up time.

Our pack up when we leave is pretty involved because I have a lot of junk and usually a couple of grandkids in tow that have to be entertained while we're trying to close up. I am the former owner of a Class C and it takes the same amount of time. I also cook mostly outside so I still have to put all the cooking stuff away. I probably spend more time reopening the thing because I forgot to put the steps up or something similarly stupid than you would closing yours if you don't make any mistakes (it's not hard- I'm over dramatizing). The one thing I do that no one has yet mentioned is that, when I close the back shell, I always take a brush with a telescopic handle and clean off the top to where the front shell will hit so the stuff doesn't get trapped in there. This takes about 5 minutes and I have no clue if it does anything except make me feel better.

The only things I hated about our TM is that the AC is so loud you can't hear yourself think if you have to turn it on and the Microwave kept jumping out of it's cubbyhole and I had to spend a lot of time figuring out a way to anchor it (you won't have that problem with the gas oven). It was brand new and I really didn't get any sympathy for TM. Lastly, I don't really like the seal system they use between shells but I'm certain that they have tried all kinds of systems and this was the one that a. worked and b. could be maintained to a degree.

The big deal with a TM that someone touched on way back in this thread is simply weight. The folks who designed this really put some thought into the problem they were trying to solve, which I believe was to design a comfortable travel trailer that didn't require a semi to tow it. My prediction is that you're going to see much of the techniques TM uses in other RV designs to improve gas mileage and, for TT, to allow them to be towed by smaller TVs. At $3/gallon and climbing, if they don't they will go by the way of the dodo bird. I do believe that the weight savings can only go so far though until you end up with a softsided pop-up again.

Hope this adds a little perspective.

Phil

ng2951
07-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Like the other posters its pretty hard to beat a TM based on its equipment and weight.

The Hi-Lo is not nearly as light, but is faster to set up. However, the basic TM is bettter equipted than the Hi-Lo. When you get to the larger Hi-Los they start to get to be very nice. Heavy, but nice.

The bathroom in the TM is better than most of the Hi-Los.

rumbleweed
07-02-2009, 05:33 AM
I believe that TM has gone to the new low profile AC. I had one of these on my last camper and they are much quieter so the noisy AC issue may have been resolved. For me there is no perfect camper even at several hundred thousand dollars there are disadvantages. It is more about what is important to you.

mtnguy
07-02-2009, 05:53 AM
Plus I really want something that we don't have to make a bed each morning (need sleeping for 5). I want the kids to be able to have their spot for the whole trip without moving their sleeping bags/stuffed animals etc. each morning and then making it up again at night.

Tina, the TM will fold down with a thin layer of sheets and blankets, but a sleeping bag might be a bit much. And you would have to remove the stuffed animals off of the bed before traveling.

The missus and I left the beds made with sheets and a thin blanket, but the comforter had to come off before folding down......and that combo still cut the overhead bed light switch on just about every trip (the light switch rubbing the blanket).......thank goodness TM has incorporated a micro switch on the bathroom wall so the light doesn't actually come on during travel.

tina22
07-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Wow, you guys are amazing!

When I wrote about the bed and sleeping for 5, I meant that during our camping, I hate having to make up the bed to use the seat, i.e. if my kids sleep on the couch/bed, then we have to make the bed in the morning to have the couch useable. And then, where do we put her bed items? And if I have them use the dinette area to sleep on, then where do I put the table items at night? There is very little room in the pop-up for items, I'm tired of moving things around from place to place on a constant basis. I think I will move the kids back to the bed with me and forget trying to give them their own "space" for now.

We went to the Hi Lo dealer today to look and I think that option is out. We viewed a 24T and it just didn't do it for. There was nothing special about it and I think I'm happier with my pop-up then that. The Trailmanor dealer is quite far, so we will try to get down to them at some point in the near future. But if it is anything like the Hi Lo, I think I may start looking at other travel trailers and might have to deal with storage issues.

I especially did not like the bathroom. One of the reasons I'm desperate to get an rv with one, is privacy issues, well that and allowing my little kids to go by themselves in the camper rather than having to escort them each and every time they have to go to the public vault toilet. I can't stand the nasty vault toilets, and always wonder if someone is standing outside waiting for me. Just a personal issue, but I"m not a very happy public pooper! haha Anyway, I don't go #2 in the same room with my hubby, and I think the hi lo would make me feel that way!!

I will keep looking. I'm not sure if I want the TM to be perfect for me as I can't imagine spending that amount of money :eek: But either way, you people are amazing and oh so helpful!!!

ng2951
07-03-2009, 07:46 AM
...sleeping for 5, I meant that during our camping, I hate having to make up the bed to use the seat, i.e. if my kids sleep on the couch/bed, then we have to make the bed in the morning to have the couch useable. And then, where do we put her bed items?...Well if two of the youngins can sleep on the double, you are two-thirds of the way there. You will still have a couch or dinnete bed to contend with, but there is still space under the bed for dinette stuff....We went to the Hi Lo dealer today to look and I think that option is out. We viewed a 24T and it just didn't do it for...While the TM and Hi-Lo are a lot alike and similar to other popups, TM beds can stay setup provided you do not put too many fluffy items on the beds. We can keep everything on the bed but the pillows. That is a heck of a lot less of a setup than the Hi-Lo....One of the reasons I'm desperate to get an rv with one, is privacy issues, well that and allowing my little kids to go by themselves in the camper rather than having to escort them each and every time they have to go to the public vault toilet...There is a small difference between a Hi-Lo and TM bathroom per se at the 24T and larger level. However, you can flush the toilet forever until it is full. That means you won't be consuming the onboard water to flush. It is hugely better than popups johns and "cassette" systems.

I think you would have to go to a significantly larger trailer to get a more private bathroom.

Nature Recorder
07-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by tina22
...sleeping for 5, I meant that during our camping, I hate having to make up the bed to use the seat, i.e. if my kids sleep on the couch/bed, then we have to make the bed in the morning to have the couch useable. And then, where do we put her bed items?...

I remember as a kid spending vacations at grandparents mountain cabin. They had a large open dorm style bedroom upstairs with 6 double/queen beds. Until we were 10 or so, us kids could sleep 4-5 to a bed sleeping crosswise. Not knowing how old/big your kids are, maybe this could be an option.

mbd4kids
07-03-2009, 07:13 PM
We just returned from our first real vacation with our new to us 3023 (23 feet long closed, 30 open). It has a double bed in front, queen in back, and 2 sofas (one opens to a double). There are 6 of us, including 2 larger, but not huge teenagers, a 13 year old and a 10 year old. I will assure you that this trailer worked quite well (maybe not as well as our old full size, but we wanted the low profile this go round). Everyone had a bed, and if I shared the double sofa with our daughter, we even had a sofa to sit on and drink our coffee. Storage for clothes was good, as was dry food storage. We loved the ledges for cell phones and other teenage necessities. Biggest complaint was the smaller fridge, but tolerable, and I thought the toilet was stinky. We did not use it for #2, and it still was bad, but we did not use chemicals with formaldehide, which I have since read are a bit of a necessity. It is also an older trailer (10 years), so may have issues with seals, which we will deal with after we try other chemicals. I looked at many pop ups before buying this one, and I assure you the storage is wonderful, and makes life much happier. We just threw the sofa linens on the bed in the day (neatly) and kept shoes outside (for dirt, and space reasons). Good Luck!:)

Bill & Lisa
07-06-2009, 01:53 PM
One more thing to add to what the others have said. The bed with the most restrictive access is the rear bed, where you have basically the width of the hallway as an opening to the bed. If you get a 3124 or 3326 that bed is a king size bed which is large enough for the occupants to sleep with their heads against the rear wall instead of to one side or the other. This would (theoretically leave the center open for either one to get out or in without climbing over the other. Now if one of the sleepers tends to sprall and take all available space, well, all bets are off.

During the day both the front and back beds remain beds and can be used to stow gear. only the couchs or the dinette pull double duty as a bed and something else.

The bathroom is about as private as you can get and with the exhaust fan running provides enough noise to mask any sounds made while conducting buisness, even if DH is in the bed next to it. It is bigger than the one I currently have in my 5th wheel although my shower is outside the throne room it has no privacy from the main bedroom occupant (only from the guests in the living room :)

Besides the weight issue I did not care for the Hi-Lo as you had to be in the largest floor plans to get a full time bed (that didn't do double duty as something else).

Hope this helps.

ng2951
07-07-2009, 09:49 AM
The king bed is actually quite nice. It is almost like having a second room. There is a privacy curtain that blocks view of the bed.

We have two small dogs (dacshund and a 20# mutt) and they sleep with us in the bed, with room left over.

One of the nice things about the 3124 and 3326 is storage under the king bed. Its big. It makes a nice club house for tikes if you are hauling any along.

The outside storage is just as deep as the internal storage, though not quite as wide. It is large I am able to stow my Yamaha 2400IS in the bay, along with all the other necessary trailer support gear.

Also these larger TMs have more storage space in the counters than other TMs.

One two other things we discovered about the TM:

1. The older easy chair has storage under the chair. We use that for additional blankets and shoes.

2. Let the couch down into it bed mode, and put pillows on for back support. This makes the couch much larger and comfortable and still does not cramp floor space. This is also a plus when I decide to nap on the couch because the dacshund insists on napping with me. If is purely in couch mode, its a tight fit for me!

robertkennel
09-25-2009, 08:35 PM
There are four of us camping, we change the toilet water every night so odor is never an issue. (We do add sanitizer) The recirc toilet shouldn't be an issue to anyone not to buy a TM. The A/C noise isn't that bad, it's just fan noise. We have the low profile unit. Before the TM we stayed at Marriot hotels and my wife is fine with the TM, no more hoteling it for us. Robert

ED-n-KEL
09-26-2009, 04:03 PM
One comment I picked up somewhere is that some people might have a difficult time opening it up if they are not strong enough. My wife is 5' 2" and

My wife is also 5'2" and has had major back surgery, and can easily open the TM by herself, with no help from anyone.

PopBeavers
09-26-2009, 06:17 PM
When we looked at TMs at a show, my wife would not by it unless she was able to pop it open and close it. The dealer had one there for just that purpose and she did fine.

I had the support system adjusted while under warranty, and it is a little too tight I think. It is now easier to open than it is to close. My 28 year old daughter can open it but can not close it. She is 5 foot 4 and weighs about 115 pounds. That is not heavy enough to stand in the stirrup and bounce it closed, at least on mine. At 220 pounds I have no trouble closing it.

ng2951
09-28-2009, 12:53 PM
I will add on the bathroom issue potty toddies help quite a bit. Also the seal at the bottom of the bowl does not always seal well, and that can be a problem too.

With two people you can expect the toilet to get pretty full by day 4 or 5.

As far as opening or closing, I certainly need to get mine adjusted. However, I cannot find a dealer anywhere close. The last dealer in Louisiana just dropped TM earlier this year, but they at least have mechanics that can do the adjustment (about $75 they think). I have no problem opening and closing the rear shell. The front shell with the A/C mounted on top is the issue.

The other problem is the front slideout. One of the locks grabbed the floor, so I have a tile to replace now. The front slideout is always difficult, but a few TM owners have told me they remove them since they are more trouble than they are worth. What is needed are two marks on the front guide when the slideout is in position.

The fridge is always problematic. It can cool OK, but on the road its performance is abysmal. On hot days it warms to nearly 50 and then can go back to freezing after the sun drops low enough. Oddly the freezer thens to keep things frozen but the cold section will swing wildly between near freezing to 50. If it were safe enough to run on propane while on the road, I would do that rather than run it on battery, but no one who can be held accountable for problems will say it is safe to do so.

The a/c has got to be the noisiest critter in creation. Even on low it is charitable to say it is only a little less loud. The thermostat has a mind of its own (yes had it checked) and I suspect the compressor thermostat is probably the culprit (whole system was checked).

What TM should do is put two smaller units on the TM fore and aft. This would allow for quieter a/cs and maybe less power draw at night. Also the weight on the shells would be less and easier to lift.

How noisy is the a/c? We had someone running a contractor grade 4500W generator about 10 feet away. While we could still hear the generator over the din of the a/c, no one had trouble sleeping through the night. You never could hear the Yamaha 2400IS (super quiet) sitting under the trailer over the racket of the a/c and the 4500W genset!

AstroBruce
09-28-2009, 08:03 PM
I always like Happy Hour. All my friends are sitting outside sipping their favorite beverage. I am picking up loose screws off the floor, fixing broken cabinet hinges, and replacing fallen pieces of trim. I guess it is all part of the TM setup time.

robertkennel
09-28-2009, 09:27 PM
The refrigerator to me is the weakest link on the trailer. Even with the refrig fan on all day it doesn't perform well. I would like to just put a good 110volt only electric refrigerator in and use an ice chest while traveling. Robert

PopBeavers
09-28-2009, 10:22 PM
There are only two problems with the fridge:

1. it is small
2. it does not work well when the sun is beating on the back side of the fridge and the outside temperature is in the 90s.

Otherwise the fridge performs flawlessly.

B_and_D
09-28-2009, 10:46 PM
I love our frig; we've never had any problems with it :confused:, even in 95 degree + heat in the middle of an asphalt RV park. It's one of my favorite things in the TM, although sometimes I wish it was bigger. Maybe the older ones work better than the new ones.

rumbleweed
09-29-2009, 06:28 AM
I added a small computer fan in the top fridge vent and can freeze lettuce in the fridge when it is 95 outside on #4. As far as all the other comments, my thoughts are the TM is not perfect you are making a trade off which should be part of your decision. It does not have the advantages of a $350K motor home but it can be pulled with a reasonably equipped vehicle and will fit in your garage. Your options for camping/traveling go from a one man backpacking tent to a 50Ft Motorhome. Your decision needs to be based on what meets your requirements and resources.

Al-n-Sue
09-29-2009, 08:26 AM
And it should be pointed out that the fridge in the TM is the same fridge that is found on most folding trailers, and runs on the same principle (absorption) as those in large TT and MH. So it is not an issue with the TM - it is an issue with RVs in general.

robertkennel
09-29-2009, 09:51 PM
With the drapes closed, 85 temp outside, refrig fan on all day, setting on 5, 110 volt selected, the inside frig temp stays at about 50. At night the refrig works well. I know TM doesn't make the refrig, but I also know a conventional refrig will probably give better results. For me I don't need 3 different ways to make cold because I like staying with full hookups. Maybe using the gas setting might give better results. I also realize opening the door during the day doesn't help. An extra cooling fan on the top refrig vent sounds like what I need. Thanks for the idea Bob. Robert

ED-n-KEL
09-30-2009, 07:55 AM
I also realize opening the door during the day doesn't help.

In all the years of tent camping we never had a refrigerator, so this seems like a great luxury. We usually used at least two ice chests; one for drinks and the other for groceries (meat, eggs, milk, etc).
I would assume that you would now use the TM's frig as the 2nd ice chest..for meat, eggs, etc. If so, it seems ideally you would only open the frig in the TM twice a day... once to cook breakfast and again to cook dinner. Even if you're staying in camp all day, I can't imagine not using an ice chest for drinks since you're grabbing them all day long, especially with kids. Am I assuming too much?

ng2951
09-30-2009, 08:56 AM
…TM is the same fridge that is found on most folding trailers, and runs on the same principle (absorption) as those in large TT and MH. So it is not an issue with the TM - it is an issue with RVs in general…I do not know enough either way about this fridge. I have two issues with it:

1. It will stay cool during the day, not cold. If adding a 12-volt fan would do the job, I will add one.

2. When running the fridge on 12 volts it sucks the life out of the battery in a 3326 (this might not happen on smaller TMs due to battery location). I have read all the stuff about dc-dc power conditioners, powering the fridge with 120 VAC, and the occasional suggestions of running the unit with gas (which sounds like the best suggestion, though no one has stuck their neck out yet).

Still if you contemplating a TM you should know about this issue in advance of making a purchase. I haven’t read a lot of comments in other forums about this. That certainly does not mean it is only a TM issue, it may just mean other trailers have much more important issues.

The rooftop air conditioner remains one of my top issues with the trailer. Low speed ain’t low enough, it is noisy beyond belief, does not seem to dry out the trailer’s interior, and the thermostat seems to shutoff early.

I still think that smaller dual HVACs, one on the rear shell (bedroom) and one on the front shell would cure the problem of a noisy HVAC. It would also allow you to use zone control, where you could keep the rear bedroom cooler than the rest of the trailer.

It is still a nice trailer and seems to hold up well. It also is fairly fuel efficient which could be hugely important now that Congress seems hell bent on passing Cap & Tax again...

4Kids2Dogs
09-30-2009, 09:03 AM
FWIW, we need two coolers in addition to the refrigerator due to all our kids. We use refreezeable gel ice packs in our coolers from DH's office which his nurses save for him from vaccine shipments. We take the ice packs from the coolers and freeze the softer ones in the TM fridge, and by cycling them can keep lots of food and soda, etc. perfectly cold. I don't use ice cubes, though, so the freezer is pretty much exclusively for ice packs. I agree that the TM fridge doesn't cool down as quickly (or hold as much) as I would like, but our system works for us.

PopBeavers
09-30-2009, 11:22 AM
The only reason to run the fridge on 12 volts is when towing. When parked I use 120 volts if I have shore power. Otherwise I use propane. Sometimes I cheat. If I close the TM down at home before a trip I set it on 12 volts and plug in to shore power. That way I do not need to pop it open to switch from 120 volts to 12 volts.

We open our fridge often. At least twice for each meal. Once to take stuff out and again later to put it back.

I keep my beverages on ice. I like them very cold.

If there is any space left in the freezer compartment I fill it with Otter Pops. Sometimes I eat them on hot days. Sometimes they just sit there filling the void and helping to keep the temperature stable. If they melt it does not make a mess. A big box from Costco lasts a year. If there are young children around then I am their friend.

I run the TM fridge fan on very hot days (85+), but only during the heat of the day.

I have a battery operated fridge fan inside the fridge to keep the air moving around.

rumbleweed
09-30-2009, 12:59 PM
running the fridge on 12 volts it sucks the life out of the battery in a 3326 (this might not happen on smaller TMs due to battery location)

The fridge draws 10-12 amps on 12V DC and a little over 1 amp at 120V. In other words it needs about 130 watts of heat energy to work, This is the case no matter what source of energy you are running on or what the firdge is mounted in. This is not a TM issue, but the physics of a gas absorption fridge. If you have a single standard deep cycle battery you have about 75 amp hours (recommended you charge after using approx 40) of power until you have killed the battery. Doing the math, you will kill the battery in less than 8 hrs if nothing else is running. This doesn't matter what type or make of RV the fridge is installed in. This is not a negative for TM. Bottom line running the Fridge on 12V should only be done when there is a regenerative source of 12v ( ie connected to good TV system, large solar panel or even shore power.

ng2951
10-01-2009, 05:49 AM
The fridge draws 10-12 amps on 12V DC and a little over 1 amp at 120V...This is not a TM issue, but the physics of a gas absorption fridge...This is not a negative for TM. Bottom line running the Fridge on 12V should only be done when there is a regenerative source of 12v ( ie connected to good TV system, large solar panel or even shore power.It is connected to a Tacoma with tow package (bigger alternator). It is a TM issue, or rather, it is at least a 3326 issue. If you do the math, it is the voltage drop due to the length of the copper power lines from the alternator to battery (because the battery is located in the back of the TM).

One untested solution is to install much larger copper cables to lower the resistance of the power cables. Another is to install a dc-dc converter that increases voltage to overcome the wiring's internal resistance.

The TMs with batteries located near the front of the trailer apparently do not have this issue. But my 3326 does. This also ages the battery since it does not recharge or balance properly unless it is on shore power.

If someone has a solution other than replacing the battery annually, I am open to listen. But again this is a TM 3326 issue regarding the location of the battery and physics of internal resistance of the power lines from the TV alternator to the TM.

rumbleweed
10-01-2009, 06:43 AM
The longer run will also impact the effeciency of the Fridge as the operating voltage will be lower. As you suggest, one solution is to upgrade the line from the TV to the battery. Don't forget to check the Gnd side because if that is a high resistance fixing the other side will not help. Another thing to check is the wire from the Battery/ fuse block to the TV connector. Many owners have found they have a HD alternator only to find out that the wire to the 12V pin on the TV connector is too small and causing a large voltage drop.

Bill
10-01-2009, 07:02 AM
Guys, you are rehashing an issue that was put to bed a couple years ago. The problem, when it occurs, is a problem with the size of the charge wire in the tow vehicle, not the TM. The wires in the TM are #10, as is proper. The wires in certain tow vehicles, including both of my Explorers, are smaller and are interrupted with many harness connectors, each of which adds a small amount of resistance.

In both of my 2720SLs, the battery is in the back - that is not unique to the 3326. And in both of them, the refrig discharged the TM battery while driving. I got the wiring manual for my 2002 Explorer. It shows many runs of #12 wire, and one short run of #14 wire, all routed through at least 6 sets of harness connectors. I ran a new pair of #10 wires, power and ground, the entire length of the Explorer, with no connectors, and the problem was solved.

The same situation is present in my 2007 Explorer.

Others have reported the same experience.

It is also worth noting that in every TM I have examined or heard about, the cable from the Bargman connector on the tow vehicle runs past the hitch area, to a distribution box under the kitchen sink. From there, the charge wire runs forward to the battery when the battery is located on the tongue, and backward to the battery when it is located in the back. There is virtually no difference in overall wire length between forward-mounted and rear-mounted battery setups.

This discussion belongs in either the Electrical section or the Appliances section. I'll wait a few days for final comments to come in, and then move it.

Bill

AngsGuy
07-30-2010, 07:17 AM
The only reason to run the fridge on 12 volts is when towing. When parked I use 120 volts if I have shore power. Otherwise I use propane. Sometimes I cheat. If I close the TM down at home before a trip I set it on 12 volts and plug in to shore power. That way I do not need to pop it open to switch from 120 volts to 12 volts.

We open our fridge often. At least twice for each meal. Once to take stuff out and again later to put it back.

I keep my beverages on ice. I like them very cold.

If there is any space left in the freezer compartment I fill it with Otter Pops. Sometimes I eat them on hot days. Sometimes they just sit there filling the void and helping to keep the temperature stable. If they melt it does not make a mess. A big box from Costco lasts a year. If there are young children around then I am their friend.

I run the TM fridge fan on very hot days (85+), but only during the heat of the day.

I have a battery operated fridge fan inside the fridge to keep the air moving around.
My 1999 2720 cannot be plugged in when the rear shell is down. Is ther another way to plug into shore power when closed? A mod. maybe?

Sue_Wilkinson
08-08-2010, 02:01 PM
My daughter and her friend who was 11 and 12 were able to open and close a trail mannor by their selfs

Wavery
08-08-2010, 02:20 PM
My 1999 2720 cannot be plugged in when the rear shell is down. Is ther another way to plug into shore power when closed? A mod. maybe?

I almost hate to say this but......we never put our power-cord all the way back in it's cubby-hole. We leave the last 3' or so sticking out. When the roof is closed, the cord is always exposed (about 6" to 1'). I've been doing this for 2 years now and have not had an issue. That doesn't mean that something couldn't happen....... I just can't imagine what it might be.

When I want to plug in with the roof closed, I just use a 25', 12G extension cord.

A mod that I have considered is putting a 30A outdoor outlet on the under-side TM. I would then disconnect the current power cord and put a male connector on the end that I disconnect. I would carry the power cord in my truck instead of storing it in the trailer. That would also open up some additional trailer storage space...... :)

Of course, this one would need some sort of spring-loaded cover to keep the dirt out while towing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Leviton-RV-Receptacle-Trailer-Outlet-TT-30-30A-125V-/230500449100?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

http://images.marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/hi/58/57750/l7313-ea-3.jpg

ShrimpBurrito
08-08-2010, 03:35 PM

Yes, the mod has been discussed here and is very easy. Here is what I did.

Push the plug through the its "storage hole" in the wall till it is all the way inside the TM and not visible from the outside.

In the rear compartment, you can see the long black pigtail all coiled up. Find the plug, and pull it into the compartment.

Next, buy an outdoor 12 AWG extension cord (relatively short, no more than 25') and a replacement cord outlet that looks something like this:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKCASCzvYlyuawmRYDEHbdwfTkAx_bX eSJW5I-EcZilYuS7yA&t=1&usg=__Ux5e5-nagnbnVfkmkpYmN8Gtk8o=

Buy a short piece (6" or so) of tubing with an ID about the same size as the OD of the extension cord.

Drill a hole in the floor in the rear compartment such that it enters the under-bumper storage compartment and insert the 6" tubing into hole.

Cut the outlet end of the extension cord off, and feed the cut end up from the bumper storage compartment, through the tubing, and into the rear compartment.

Attach the replacement cord outlet to the cut end of the wire.

Using a 30A-15A adapter, plug the TM pigtail into the replacement cord outlet.

Store the replacement cord in the bumper storage compartment and use it in place of the TM pigtail.

The only disadvantage of the mod is that:

1) You cannot use the AC or any other high current devices (coffee maker, toaster, hair dryer, etc.) with this setup; and

2) every time you are somewhere you want to use the AC or any high current devices, you need to unplug the TM pigtail from the your new extension cord and plug the TM pigtail directly into the campground outlet just as you do now. You can snake the pigtail out the door or back through the access hole to do it.

Dave

ShrimpBurrito
08-08-2010, 03:45 PM
A mod that I have considered is putting a 30A outdoor outlet on the under-side TM. I would then disconnect the current power cord and put a male connector on the end that I disconnect. I would carry the power cord in my truck instead of storing it in the trailer. That would also open up some additional trailer storage space...... :)

If you choose to do this, I would suggest you using some sort of recessed male outlet for the TM side instead of your proposed female outlet.
I think Airstreams connect their pigtails like this....I think I've seen them use Marinco connectors, which I'm sure you've seen on sailboats.

Something like these:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=92962&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10109&subdeptNum=10540&classNum=10542
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=92857&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10109&subdeptNum=10540&classNum=10542
(which I presume is 30A, but I would verify)

Otherwise, you will have a hot male plug if you ever unplug the TM side first, which would be a major safety hazard. I personally would never trust my memory to unplug the campground side first, but even if I did, there's no way I could positively make someone else from doing it and possibly making a fatal mistake. Another scenario: you trip on the cord after slipping on wet grass, unplugging the cord from the TM outlet and it falls in the wet grass and fries you like a catfish.

Dave

Wavery
08-08-2010, 04:00 PM
If you choose to do this, I would suggest you using some sort of recessed male outlet for the TM side instead of your proposed female outlet.
I think Airstreams connect their pigtails like this....I think I've seen them use Marinco connectors, which I'm sure you've seen on sailboats.

Something like these:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=92962&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10109&subdeptNum=10540&classNum=10542
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=92857&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10109&subdeptNum=10540&classNum=10542
(which I presume is 30A, but I would verify)

Otherwise, you will have a hot male plug if you ever unplug the TM side first, which would be a major safety hazard. I personally would never trust my memory to unplug the campground side first, but even if I did, there's no way I could positively make someone else from doing it and possibly making a fatal mistake. Another scenario: you trip on the cord after slipping on wet grass, unplugging the cord from the TM outlet and it falls in the wet grass and fries you like a catfish.

Dave

Good point.....I actually grabbed the wrong picture but now that I did, it made a good discussion. My intention (if I ever do it) is to have my TM 30A cord to be able to double as an extension cord.

The Marinco locking set-ups are very expensive (~$200).

ShrimpBurrito
08-08-2010, 04:59 PM
The Marinco locking set-ups are very expensive (~$200).

You might be able to work with this Marinco kit, and it's only $100 delivered.

http://www.amazon.com/ParkPower-Marinco-30ARVKIT-Detachable-Conversion/dp/B000NUYZQC

http://www.marinco.com/files/support/products/manuals/200781.pdf

Dave

cochise
08-15-2010, 11:57 AM
NEVER EVER HAVE A CORD WITH MALE PLUGS AT BOTH ENDS! It is not only a huge hazard, it is also a code violation. If anything happens, insurance will probably not cover, and there could be a huge liability problem.

Bill
08-16-2010, 07:18 AM
An easy way is to go to the hardware store and buy an air conditioner extension cord. They are about 3 feet long, made with #12 or #14 wires (plenty heavy enough), and - the secret - they are flat and they have a right-angle connector on one end. Connect your 30-amp trailer connector to a 30-to-20 amp adapter and push it back into the mousehole. Plug the airco extension cord into it, and let it hang down between the shells and out the bottom. Add a regular household extension cord, plugged into a house outlet, and you're powered up.

Ace Hardware has one for about $9 - so do the big box stores.

Bill

scrubjaysnest
12-01-2010, 06:45 AM
We went from a pop-up, 25 feet open to a TM. For us nothing changed, beds, refrig,(well a little larger), battery duration while boondocking.
Pros: setup breakdown is a little quicker.
toilet beats a five gallon bucket and a shovel
Cons: poor quality workmen ship. We have owned 3 pop-ups, two TT and one class C motor home NONE had the workmen ship problems of the TM

That said would I buy another TM you bet without a second thought.

BamaFlum
12-01-2010, 07:12 AM
We went from a pop-up, 25 feet open to a TM. For us nothing changed, beds, refrig,(well a little larger), battery duration while boondocking.
Pros: setup breakdown is a little quicker.
toilet beats a five gallon bucket and a shovel
Cons: poor quality workmen ship. We have owned 3 pop-ups, two TT and one class C motor home NONE had the workmen ship problems of the TM

That said would I buy another TM you bet without a second thought.

What are/were some of the specific problems with the workmanship?

scrubjaysnest
12-01-2010, 07:43 AM
What are/were some of the specific problems with the workmanship?
So far I lost my break lights and left turn signal due to improper crimps of the bullet connectors under the refrig.
Propane line against the Refrig flue, even with insulation it gets quite warm
Power tongue jack doesn't always work, fuse lead to power lead twisted with wire nut so corrision (sp) formed.
I am in the process of redoing all splices. My method is non-insulated butt connector. Tin wires(solder), crimp butt splice then solder. use heat shrink over the butt connector. Two thoughts here. If the splice is exposed to the weather, seal with silicon and after it sets up then use the heat shrink.
Second Make sure your crimper is made for your butt splices or you may not get a good crimp.
Where wire size is marginal for the current pulled the next larger gauge may be needed. #4 gauge from the converter to battery and battery to the TV is the minimum size I would suggest.
Use ring lugs crimped and soldered at the battery.

Last item: I have found no one else with this problem on the forums with this problem: The lights in the vents on our '11 2720SL rubbed the rear shell when closed. They were held to the vent screen with a piece of plastic, I replaced this with a u bracket made with scrape one inch aluminum flat stock and inch and 1/4 aluminum angle. Pop riveted the two pieces then pop riveted the u bracket to the metal support bracket in the vent that has the crank handle. This pulled the lights further into the vent and keeps them from moving up and down.

ng2951
12-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Having just rejoined the group here I too have some issues with workmanship and service. Quality of components vary from very good to cheap.

One of the problems I keep running into are the large number of things using staples. Granted most of these are the brad type and are used where brads might be used, they have the pesky habit of vibrating loose, especially on the wardrobe. The good news is that the adhesive use is not that strong so very small fasteners can be used to replace the staples.

Since I have the buffet table in my 3326 I have discovered that the wall near the door really needs strengthening. It likes to back away from the bench and if you do not detect this problem quickly you will need to remove the bench and try to figure out how to fix the wall so that the screws will hold. There really needs to be a metal bracket to give the wall the extra strength it needs to bond with the door side bench.

The table itself is rather ricketity. It is only secured with velcro and wobbles quite a bit. It needs a catch on the bottom of the table to stabilize the table.

Why the ac even has heater strips is an enigma to me. I think you could probably run them on a hot day not raise the temperature in the trailer by one degree. It does serve as a decent dummy load for the genset!

The bathroom is pretty darn good. It delivers excellent hot water. The toilet is OK though some of the new toilet products leaves the water brown instead of a pleasant blue. I need to pull the toilet out and work on it, but it is almost 5 years old and has been used a lot. I wish it had better seals and its own vent.

Manufacturer service & customer service.
Trailmanor service is sporatically mediocre. When I first bought the trailer I was amazed at their speed at delivering me a part. I was impressed.

Now they do not deliver promised parts. After trying for 3 months to get the glide for the king bed and being promised it would be delivered, I have decided to just fix the old one as best I can. TM also outsources the bathroom walls. When the mirror came loose we could not get any wallpaper to replace the damaged wallpaper from TM.

I would also like to have the lifts adjusted, but it seems there are very few places that might be able to do this short of the factory. I am not interested in doing it myself. I would much rather have someone who knows how to do this right.

The refer seems somewhat lame. On warm days the interior only cools down to about 50 degrees and once the sun goes down it freeze the eggs.

My feeling is that the 3126 is probably TM's best in the folddown trailers. The 3326 is nice, but I think the frames flexes too much.

Still the thing to remember is that in this economy/deficit enviroment the TMs have significant advantages over many other trailers due to the likely prospect of $100/bbl oil during the next calendar year. Unlike the last time this happened you won't be able to force oil prices down due to a drop in demand (demand is still low). TMs may still be able to hit the road where otjher peoples toy haulers & 5th wheels may be stuch at home.

ThePair
12-09-2010, 10:14 AM
The heater in the AC works well, enough for us that we don't drag along a separate unit. We don't do winter camping, but for spring in the upper midwest, it gets chilly and the AC heater keeps us warm without firing up the furnace (never been used.)

scrubjaysnest
12-09-2010, 10:55 AM
The refer seems somewhat lame. On warm days the interior only cools down to about 50 degrees and once the sun goes down it freeze the eggs.

First welcome to the group.
We have the Carrier with heat strip, we haven't used this one yet but in our pop-up, same unit only ten years old, it worked great.

If you have the Norcold 3 way refrig the flue needs cleaning annually or you may get the conditions you report. We did on our smaller version in the pop-up. Haven't had the new one long enough to say. The Norcold manual goes over some of your symptoms. It will also tend to freeze when ambient air temps start dropping below 40 deg F. That has been our experience and that is also in the manual.

Hope this is of some help

Mr. Adventure
12-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Remember that the refrigerator control works completely differently on gas than it does on electricity (on electricity it is a thermostat, on gas it just cranks continuously in proportion to the position of the dial) (yes, it's been pointed out that it seems unusual, but Norcold makes the refrigerator, not TrailManor, so I suppose we should be asking them).

Heaters
We've always used 2 small electric heaters in all of our RV's. It saves propane, allows more uniform heat distribution (it's a 2 zone system!), and is quieter than the AC fan.

moaboy
12-15-2010, 06:00 PM
I guess folks that have had problems make the point of quality consistancy. I bought a 2009.5, 2720 and the only problem I have had (several trips and 2 years later) is a faulty hot water heater element that came cracked-nearly broken in half- from the factory. Otherwise I am very pleased. While I can't speak to the issue of quality over time, thus far seems like a well built trailer that if maintained, should last for a long time.

T and C
12-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Folks,

A while back I ran my front, driver's side, hold down latch into a sort of stump. It bent the lower part and pulled out or broke off the lag bolts that hold the strap that holds the latch pin in place.

I ordered parts from TM, which arrived in a week or so. The other day I went out to do the repair work. When I took the strap off I discovered that the factory had drilled the front two holes, then drilled the back two holes about 1/4 inch too close to the front ones. Then after the guy saw what he had done, he drilled two mores holes in the correct place, where the holes in the front shell match the holes the bolts go through in the strap.

No harm done on the factory installation. I would never have noticed it if I had not hit that stump. What it looks like is that someone goofed and then covered it up, not mentioning the problem to anyone.

That's why I said that the QC department at TM is probably not much more than the foreman watching the workers. They could use a QC checklist before a unit goes out the door.

Tom

T and C
12-22-2010, 03:47 PM
BTW, when you talk to "Eddie in parts" he refers to the sides of the TM as the "doorside" and the "offside", not the driver's side.

Tom

E&JOut
09-25-2012, 01:39 PM
First, thanks to all of the participants that contributed to this posting,

I have read the full history from 2005-2010. Fast forward to 9/2012 and I am wondering if anyone has additional comments on fit, finish or overall quality. I get the refrigerator limitations and concept of the TV charging an in-tow battery. However, general wiring limitations weaknesses and other apparent quality issues (screws falling out) seem a little out of place on a $25-$30K purchase. I am considering the Model 2720SL or Model 3124KS, but am very open to opinions. It’s just me and the spouse unless Grand kids come with.

Any thoughts or insights are appreciated.

Ed
TV 2010 Silverado CC 4X4 5.3L, GVWR 7K, GCWR 15K

moaboy
09-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Am sitting on the beach in my TM now. Ease of towing is amazing and I can store it in my garage. So for me the trade offs are well worth it.
Two weeks ago I was at the big RV show in Hershey, and I came to the conclusion- as I looked around - I definitely made the correct choice.
And my gas mileage on relatively flat terrain was barely affected as I towed from PA to VA/NC border.
On this trip 3 adults.
No RV is perfect, but this sure works for us.

PopBeavers
09-25-2012, 02:27 PM
I have three screw that keep coming loose. Two in the oven that hold up the flat plate above the burner. The other one is for the trim of the water heater door. One of these days I will add a tooth pick or some caulk. For the moment I tighten them once a year.

I had a weld trigger a frame crack. This was repaired under warranty. The design has since been changed.

The awning fabric tore in a light breeze, not a light wind. That is a Fiamma design flaw in my opinion.

The edges of the Formica could be sanded a bit more smoothly to eliminate the small ridge that can result in a chipped edge. This is a TM fit and finish issue.

Otherwise, it meets all of my expectations. 2005 TM 2720 that is now 7 years old. I am the original owner. Some day someone is going to get a good deal when I decide to sell it.

Bill
09-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Jess -

You are a newcomer, so you need to keep in mind that high among the list of purposes, this is a problem-solving forum. That means that you will hear about most of the problems that people have over the years, but you won't hear about most of the non-problems and wonderful experiences.

Don't get discouraged when you read about problems and their solutions. And occasionally it is worthwhile to check in on some of the other RV-oriented forums, and hear about some REAL problems! They all have 'em.

Bill

rumbleweed
09-25-2012, 06:02 PM
I have several friends with larger more expensive blinged out RV and trailers and everyone of them is envious of the number and size of the TMs windows which create an open bright living space.

LoveToCamp
09-25-2012, 08:49 PM
E&JOut, while it may seem like too many issues with an RV of this price, my folks have had two travel trailers and a $165,000 motorhome over the last 10 years. Each of those have had more issues than our TM, and most of the other TM owners in this thread. No matter how much you spend, there will be a few issues.

I would not let that discourage you at all, since everyone I have spoken to, owning all manner of RVs, has had issues, regardless of price. I met the owner of TM this year at a local RV show (he approved the steal-of-a-deal I got on my 2417!), and I let him know about some of my issues with workmanship. He was very attentive, and admitted he was not as familiar with manufacturing as he was with sales. He promised he would go through the factory and get the workmanship improved. Hopefully, he did. Seemed like he really wanted to improve them any way he could.

Get a TM, and you will be very happy!

Joseph
09-26-2012, 06:40 AM
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

hillbillyhotel
09-26-2012, 06:55 AM
thank you joseph
i was sitting here thinking , mybe we need a thread like
(what is right with trailmanor)
but i think that is better than anything i could have rambled on about ,

Bill
09-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Joseph -

I love it. Thank you.

Bill

T and C
10-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Another thing to keep in mind about screws coming out etc., is that while travelling down the road an RV is shaking and bouncing constantly. I have no idea how many shakes they get, but it must be several hundred thousand per year.

What would your house be like if you shook it up and down a few hundred K?

Tom

robertkennel
10-09-2012, 10:21 PM
I don't know who said it first, but I like the line "do it right the first time".

My customers may act like critics but I don't give them that label; I just get to repairing the problem so I can keep calling them customers.

T and C
10-11-2012, 12:36 PM
:crying:Another thing to keep in mind about screws coming out etc., is that while travelling down the road an RV is shaking and bouncing constantly. I have no idea how many shakes they get, but it must be several hundred thousand per year.

What would your house be like if you shook it up and down a few hundred K?

Tom

After I had posted the above it dawned on me that I have actually had experience with my house being shaken. I live in Southern California and the ground sometimes decides to move around. I have lived through many earthquakes but they are usually centered many miles from where I live.

I said "usually". In 1992 we had an pretty strong quake centered in Northridge, CA. My house was very near the epicenter. So the answer to my question about "what would your house be like" is that it would need thousands of dollars of repairs. In my case, $20,000!

Northwoods
10-11-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm 79 year old and 5'1 and I can open our TM. Go to the dealer and open and close it yourself and you'll see that they are quite the engineering marvel. Olga

Unstable_Tripod
10-25-2012, 01:10 PM
I agree that trailer bounce and vibration is hard on components and we must expect routine maintenance. To put this in perspective, here is part of a post I wrote on another forum about a long trip I took with my TrailManor last Spring:

"I have some musings about trailer wear and tear on a 61-day, 8,100 mile trip. Remember, most folks use their trailers within a few hundred miles of home and for 2-4 days at a time. If one uses the comparison of five two-day weekend trips a year that are an average of 100 miles from home, I put six years’ worth of camping days on the trailer and eight years’ worth of mileage on it in just two months. With 26 set-up/tear-down cycles I put over five years’ worth of use on it from that perspective. That’s a lot of use and, as we all know, things break, wear out, get out of adjustment and so on."

I've camped in tents, a popup tent trailer, the back of my truck and in my TrailManor. The TrailManor is my favorite, far and away. Its huge list of advantages overwhelmingly outweighs its few issues.

a635823
12-23-2012, 12:46 AM
Do any of the original posters from 2005-2008 still love their TM's? It's been a good couple of years and I want to know your input! People after 2008 can reply too! Has anyone noticed quality changes, i.e. has it increased or decreased over the years? :D I really want to buy one, they seem much more practical to me than owning a RV, my parents and in-laws both have RVs and they seem like such a hassle sometimes (driving, fueling, dumping etc.)

Either way thanks for your help in advance!
<3
Annie

Speckul8r
12-23-2012, 07:53 AM
Love is a pretty strong word but I like mine a lot. We've been on some pretty decent trips, length wise, and it still seems pretty easy to tow and maneuver. I'll be converting to 15" wheels soon and that is the only real problem I can see with the older models. Someone here said that TM has moved on to 15"ers standard and that will be a big plus.

In regards to vibration, I owned a Jayco pop-up for 11 years. I think that the TM has actually shown less tendency for loose nuts, bolts, screws and components than the pop-up. At the same time, those little 12" tires went around a many a time and I never had a flat/blowout with it. Have had 3 with the TM. Glad I installed a plumbing guard on it!!!

PopBeavers
12-23-2012, 08:44 AM
We are the original owners of a 2005 TM 2720.

We have no complaints. It has met our needs well. Only nominal routine maintenance, plus a few items during the warranty.

Our needs have changed. In the past year DW has had knee replacement surgery for both knees. Crawling on her knees is no longer an option.

We took delivery of a new motor home yesterday. As soon as I take some pictures and write something up the TM will be up for sale. So will the truck, 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD.

Getting old sucks, but it is better than the alternative.

moaboy
12-23-2012, 10:55 AM
I have come to appreciate the flexibility of the TM especially as it relates to handy storage. Being able to keep your TM in your garage is a real plus from both a convenience and longevity perspective. Storing an RV out side can be really hard on it and it fitting in your garage beats those nagging storage fees.
I also like being able to tow it with a lighter duty tv. And while gas prices are an issue, they don't become the primary driver determining the feasibility of a trip.
I will be spending more time in Florida and look forward to exploring all that great state has to offer.

HIKERZ
12-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Fl has a great park system. Lakes. Rivers beaches. Just book ahead

LoveToCamp
12-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Annie, we only purchased our 2714 TM in February, but we moved up from a canvas pop-up. We took the TM on a 2400-mile trip this summer, and I took it for a long weekend with two other men in November.

On the long trip, the low profile of the TM was a huge plus. We had headwinds for 600 miles, and only lost about half-a-mile per gallon (diesel, with a 3-litre in a Grand Cherokee - not a huge engine or vehicle), and I drove 75 on the interstate the entire trip (I'll catch flack for 75, but I worked up to it, and was very aware of what the TV and TM were doing).

My folks had a Four Winds travel trailer, and they lose much speed and mpg when they tow into the wind. They also notice cross-winds, which I don't, with my TM.

We were in some 40+ mph winds the first few nights, and inside, we didn't feel any drafts. TMs are not air-tight, but there are only a couple of places I stuff filler, and it doesn't get drafty. I see no advantage with a regular TT when it comes to wind.

After my November weekend, I only had to open my drain valves, and faucets, and drain the entire system. I don't have to winterize like you do on a regular TT.

I recommend a TM to anyone who wants to travel. It is simple to set up (really, two minutes to open and secure the shells, then a couple minutes inside.) I think that is worth it, when I likely get at least 5 mpg better when towing the TM than I would if I towed a full-height TT.

Fit an finish of my TM are very good. Nothing has come loose, and I am finicky. I check the entire unit after each day of travel (we did some 4-wheel roads to get into one campsite, and had no issues at all).

In my mind, a TM is a great unit, and the collapsible shells are a big plus, not a detraction. It makes travel so much easier and less stressful.

EcotypeS
01-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Do any of the original posters from 2005-2008 still love their TM's? It's been a good couple of years and I want to know your input! People after 2008 can reply too! Has anyone noticed quality changes, i.e. has it increased or decreased over the years? :D I really want to buy one, they seem much more practical to me than owning a RV, my parents and in-laws both have RVs and they seem like such a hassle sometimes (driving, fueling, dumping etc.)

I have a 2006 -- the TM gets used for 3-4 week long trips plus two 1500 mile trips each year.

I still love it and there have been few maintenance issues. The ones that come up (both this year) include a hard to find electric-to-the-taillights problem (turns out many electric connections were shaking loose) and one of the clips that holds the door in place broke. Once I found a dealer who had the clips (I don't live near one), replacing the clip was a dyo 5 minute fix (and I also have a spare in case the other one breaks).

Given that this is it other than standard maintenance (tires, repact bearings), I think it is doing well.

ELM-JLM
01-05-2013, 11:10 AM
My 2008 2619 is still in great shape with approximatly 40,000+ miles of towing in 2 years, including Canada & Alaska! Only a few issues appeared in that time and were DIY repairs! We go to RV shows and look for new and inovative stuff but have found nothing that compares!

Brittany Dogs
01-07-2013, 06:53 AM

Either way thanks for your help in advance!
<3
Annie

This past June the Trailblazers were up in Niagara Falls NY. Although I was not a member of this nice group, I live only 45 minutes from the place and decided to camp up there for their opening weekend.

I believe my TrailManor 2720SD was the newest unit in the park (one year old at the time) and what I noticed was something impressive. The TrailManor company has incorporated tons of "lessons-learned" into their product. In fact many visitors stopped by and pointed out many new features or improvements on what they had in their older units. The electric slide out, the 15 inch tires, the AC unit profile, the tail lights, backer-plates to support the latches better, the Jack antenna, the bumper storage, the dump station plumbing is now separate and not joined, and the list went on a bit.

Given that I store my unit in may garage in the Summer and on my back concrete pad in the Winter, this has been the perfect unit for us.

Bill
01-07-2013, 03:05 PM
I'm pleased that you noiticed that fact. This group brings a lot of value to its members, but it doesn't end there. The enigneers and marketing people at TM keep up with this board as well, and since we constitute such a large base of owner experience, we bring value to them as well. It has always been true, ever since the forum began to grow beyond its humble beginnings in 2001.

Bill

Shadowcats
03-14-2013, 08:33 AM
We have a 3023, our second one...although retired, wven taken my daughter and her husband - a grand daughter - and two german sheperds! It is tight, but it works.

Have the solar panel that keeps the batts up nicely. Change the stool often and no smell problem. We replaced the old foam pads with air mattress - so much more comfortable - just deflate for travel.

My wife and I can up and down in just a few minutes. I can do it myself with no trouble. Car Toys here in the Springs says it all about the adjustment...when its right it really works easy!

We usually use the batt for the fridge when traveling and then switch to either gas or elec when comped. Never had a problem with batt drain. Also added a 1000 w inverter for those times off grid - wired it to a special receptical.

I tow with a 2012 Nissan Armada w/load level and overload cushions. Don't even know the TM is back there.

Grandfather
05-23-2013, 01:15 PM
DW = Don't Worry
DH= Darling Husband

From the following link:

http://www.internetslang.com/list.asp?i=D
:

Hope this helps.

kokilo
05-23-2013, 02:00 PM
We have owned our 2006 2720SD for two years now and have put 12,000 miles on it through all kinds of conditions. The few failures we have had have been fixable by us with readily available parts. Our experience with the three trailers we owned previously was not as pleasant.

Without this forum we would not have known to make some of the safety/useability improvements which have made our TM so nice.

Thanks, Peter and Martha

cindycreekmore
10-22-2014, 04:35 PM
The sink being so low. I work 10 hours a day and the last thing I want to do is bend over the sink to do dishes!

Six gallon hot water heater.......barely enough hot water to do dishes used by 2 people, even with turning the water off between wash and rinse.......makes it IMPOSSIBLE to shower!

that's it, that's all I got...........

Speckul8r
10-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Wow!! I don't know where that came from. After 30 years of washing dishes stream side on a rock, this is like the Hilton. We camp in the TM for 5 days and have water left to drain. Herself does dishes every night and never runs out of water (20 gal storage + 6 in the water heater). I'm sure she would be glad to give you some water conservation tips. We do use the campsite showers.

rvcycleguy
10-22-2014, 08:00 PM
The sink being so low. I work 10 hours a day and the last thing I want to do is bend over the sink to do dishes!

Six gallon hot water heater.......barely enough hot water to do dishes used by 2 people, even with turning the water off between wash and rinse.......makes it IMPOSSIBLE to shower!

I can't think of anything other than a luxury RV that has more than 6gal water heater. It's standard equipment on most campers. If you use the electric and gas modes simultaneously, it will recover quickly.

Bill
10-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Cindy -

I certainly agree about the low sink being a backbreaker. So does TM, by the way - new models have raised it. A couple years ago, I threatened to raise the sink in my TM, and I wish I had done it. But the folding faucet was so expensive ...

Washing dishes? My method is to put two inches of hot soapy water in the sink, wash each dish, and set it in a dish drainer on the countertop. Then, when all are washed, I drain the soapy water from the sink, set the dish drainer in the sink, and spray-rinse them all. A swivel aerator like this makes it easy.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/faucet-aerator-with-swivel/44357

As for showers? Yes, you do need a Navy shower. And you do need to turn on both sources of heat, as RVCycleGuy noted. But my wife and I can shower right behind each other, including her hair! It heats water as fast as we can use it.

It's all in the technique. A little experimentation will have you happy in no time!

Bill

funpilot
10-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Next season I plan to install an on demand hot water heater to hopefully address the hot water problem at least when at a camp ground. Will let you know.

tentcamper
10-23-2014, 08:20 AM
The sink being low, the DW thinks it is fine. I would like it higher, but I never thought about it until I read about the low sink on this form. It's much higher than our 2 popup's but lower than our 2 TT's

I don't see an issue with the shower water. All our campers since the 80's have had the same limited shower capability for hot water. The TM is a big plus with both elec and propane, it's is much faster recovery. We turn on both elec and propane for faster recovery.

Most our camping is only with elec hook up's. We take navy showers not only because of the RV water heater, but because, I do not like to haul water to refill the tank and hate draining the gray water tank except at the dump. We are use to these showers after 30+ years of camping and accept it's as just part of camping. If the CG has nice shower we use them.

If we have nice showers at a campground we use less then 5 gallons of water a day and that includes washing dishes twice a day with no paper plates, but I do fill the pot from a jug. It's not until early day 5 that I need to haul water for my 20 gal tank.

DoubleT
10-23-2014, 11:10 AM
We have a 2619,( that we are selling) and went with a 2720. My apologies for not reading every post for their opinion, I am sure I will have repeat statements.
1. I am also 5'2''. We have found that if the trailmanor has not been adjusted it can take more energy opening. We were having a little difficulty opening it and took it to the factory and they adjusted the side bars. It has been easy ever since. One person suggested when opening the sides each person stand on each end and pull at the same time, very easy. If you are not parked on an even surface it will take more energy. We are 58 and 59. My husband is 5'11 has a bad knee, does not lift weights and is able open it himself without any problems.
2. I would suggest you really look into the floor plan that you might be comfortable with. If you get the two bed floor plan you will have to climb up on the second bed to put the vinyl flaps down.
3. Raising the bathroom can be done with one person. I would suggest you begin with both at first, one holding the wall while the other pulls the one side open.
4. We have a recirculating toilet, live in Texas, use the toilet for all our needs and have not had any problems with the smell. We changed to a product called "happy camper". It is based out of California.
5. In time the ceiling might get marks on it from opening and closing the unit. A dry erase sponge takes care of them.
Good luck!

Wingedryder
10-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Boy, how we'd like to LOVE this new TM! We're enamored with the lighter towing wt. & less wind resistance on the hwy, the 15" wheels, and its various amenities such as A/C, and electro start refrig propane pilot light (though not as thrilled with the electra-magic recirculating toilet). I've added an electric tongue jack and done the plumbing conversion to be able to fill the fresh water tank w/o having to lift the shells, other than an LED light upgrade.

However, we've had our share of new product "bugs", such as: 1) non-functioning brakes on one wheel taking 2 trips to the dealer to properly diagnose, and then 5+ weeks to correct over an 11 month period; 2) a spit axle bushing I still don't know the ramifications of - dealer says none(?), 4) damage to the wheel's outer wheel cover center cap (allowing easy-lube of bearings w/o removing wheel) caused by the bearing dust cap not being fully seated after in for dealer service that bent up the dust cap and broke the outer decorative wheel 'center cap' off, required 45 minutes on the side of the road to straighten and re-fit just the dust cap (btw, factory merely refers me to the axle company who don't supply the outer wheel); 4) a new electric tongue jack rendered unusable after the dealer's service; and 5) a leak from the fill inlet on top of the fresh water tank that I've painstakenly caulked & taped the hose connection up with using 'Extreme' marine tape - hopefully that will work - will see next spring as the unit is in storage now.

- This is on a 2013 2720 TM purchased brand new off the dealer's lot just one year ago. We've treated this camper as if it were our first born (certainly similar in cost, I might add), but have also had more than a few missing screws, loose trim and hardware to replace (one piece of trim over the sleeping compartment remains secured by masking tape that the dealer assures me is normal(?), and we've hardly been anywhere camping yet (4 short trips this summer).

For what it's worth, we like many things about this unit for our needs & size tow vehicle, and realize that a 'house on wheels' is always subject to some routine maintenance, as was our former trailer, however, at this point we're genuinely disappointed in the quality control of the factory & the dealer's servicing abilities. But, ever so thankful for this Owner's Forum!

Bill
10-23-2014, 02:19 PM
[snip] We've treated this camper as if it were our first born (certainly similar in cost, I might add), but have also had more than a few missing screws, loose trim and hardware to replace (one piece of trim over the sleeping compartment remains secured by masking tape that the dealer assures me is normal(?), and we've hardly been anywhere camping yet (4 short trips this summer).

No, nothing should ever be held in place using duct tape or masking tape - no, it is not normal. The fact that your dealer would say this gives you some calibration on using him for anything in the future.

Question - did you have the wheels balanced? You would think that the factory or the dealer would do this before delivery, but it seems not to be true. Unbalanced wheels are a major cause of things shaking apart on any RV, including a TM. If you have not done it, take it to a tire shop and request that they balance all 3 wheels. And when they say "We never balance trailer tires!", remind them that you are paying and you want it done. Ot take it somewhere else.

Bill

wbmiller3
10-23-2014, 05:15 PM
Yes, the Goodyear place in Ithaca where I replaced my flat tire was a little nonplussed when I asked them to balance it - "Really?" - but they cheerfully accepted my money to do so.

Padgett
10-23-2014, 05:23 PM
When I bought my tires and wheels at a local chain they balanced them as a matter of course. One took quite a bit of weight.

Laura FM
10-23-2014, 05:33 PM
We have a 2417, and have had it for about 1.5 years. We love it. I think the only thing we hate about it is the curtains. Those tabs pop out of position if you look at them funny.

Not wild that the bed cannot have a foam topper that can stay in place, and still close, but we were able to find some ones at costco that can be easily dragged off and rolled up.

Bill
10-23-2014, 07:33 PM
How thick is the foam topper that you are trying to use? We use a 1 inch egg crate that works fine. The quilt on top of it, however, is a no-no.

Bill

moaboy
10-23-2014, 08:30 PM
Six gallons is what one gets in all but the most high end rv's. We have never run out.
Yea the sink is low, but sure beats washing dishes out side....
No RV is perfect, not even a TM.

TrailManorMan
10-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Six gallons is what one gets in all but the most high end rv's. We have never run out.
Yea the sink is low, but sure beats washing dishes out side....
No RV is perfect, not even a TM.

Close though !!!!!

Laura FM
10-23-2014, 09:03 PM
How thick is the foam topper that you are trying to use? We use a 1 inch egg crate that works fine. The quilt on top of it, however, is a no-no.

Bill

It is memory foam. I had one that was about 1 inch thick, and it sort of worked, but also pretty hard to close, so we decided to abandon. We bought a king sleeping sack (with attached sheets) and always sleep with the thicker side down, and that helped, and it is easy to just pull off. But still a bit more softness was needed. So, we bought two of these - and they fit perfectly on our king sized bed. They are also easy to take on/off.
http://www.costco.com/Novaform-2%22-Roll-Out-Lounger.product.100109800.html

Clayster
04-29-2017, 07:21 AM
I have a 2017 Colorado diesel 4x4 and a first time travel trailer buyer. Locally looking at a elkmont 26' travel trailer that's look to be in good shape for 13,000.00 . Very light trailer but is it well built? It's a 2011 model with most of the upgrades. Is this a good buy or should I keep looking for a different trailer? I assume they are not made anymore. Can someone help me please? Thanks cly

Skyjim73
04-30-2017, 12:54 PM
Clay, I think you are getting crickets because there just are not that many Elkmonts out there. Most of the membership here have the folding TMs, and lack direct experience with the Elkmont line...

Jim

bheisser
04-30-2017, 07:43 PM
clay i will give it a shot,, go on rvtrader, search tempest and use google advanced search to search craigslist.org nationwide,,, as far as an elkmont i would think it could be serviced by any rv dealer,, it has standard components,,,it doesn't have any non traditional parts,.....like a foldable TM with the torsion bar system,,,so if the price is right,,,, it is as good as many

heres oone
https://austin.craigslist.org/rvs/6103018484.html

gonzo628
04-30-2017, 09:31 PM
Clayster,

If I recall, the big complaint about the Elkmont was its roof, so you'll want to pay special attention to that.

Jsprague56
06-18-2017, 10:34 AM
I have a brand new 2417KB and the delivery was months late. Unit also arrived with major build problems, prompting the need to have it almost completely reassembled.

I have the unit now and the door sweep is missing, two of the electrical outlets were not working (got those fixed), fantastic fan is leaking and the toilet (gravity flow) keeps getting a plugged filter, rendering it nonfunctional. 300 dollars so far to fix the outlets and the toilet (toilet needs to be fixed again after one trip)

There are huge gaps at each end of the beds. I contacted TM for warranty and got these small triangle-shapes for the corners. They are too small so still have big gaps.

The door catch (the one that holds the two door parts together) is improperly installed so it slips apart often when closing the door.

Contacted TM over a week ago for solutions to the door sweep and gaps and still no reply after a second email.

I am a VERY frustrated TM owner.

aslag54
06-18-2017, 12:12 PM
I have a brand new 2417KB and the delivery was months late. Unit also arrived with major build problems, prompting the need to have it almost completely reassembled.

I have the unit now and the door sweep is missing, two of the electrical outlets were not working (got those fixed), fantastic fan is leaking and the toilet (gravity flow) keeps getting a plugged filter, rendering it nonfunctional. 300 dollars so far to fix the outlets and the toilet (toilet needs to be fixed again after one trip)

There are huge gaps at each end of the beds. I contacted TM for warranty and got these small triangle-shapes for the corners. They are too small so still have big gaps.

The door catch (the one that holds the two door parts together) is improperly installed so it slips apart often when closing the door.

Contacted TM over a week ago for solutions to the door sweep and gaps and still no reply after a second email.

I am a VERY frustrated TM owner.

Pretty much the same experience I had with my new Nebraska built 2720QD. Out of the 11 months I owned it it spent 2 months at the factory where the 2 major mechanical issues were repaired but that was it, nothing else was was done for the lousy fit and finish. Plus it received additional damage such as a broken toilet lid and cuts in the floor. The new manager (Bricio) who came along with the delivery said he'd come back to get it in 4 weeks to finish repairs, that never happened. I must have called the factory close to 50 times, I'd talk to Bob (the owner) or Bricio and get nothing but false promises. My local dealer refused to work on it saying there was too much needed and Trailmanor Manufacturing hasn't been reimbursing for warranty work for some time. I gave up with the factory and took it back (1200 miles one way) to the dealer where I purchased it because one else would work on it. It was at the dealers for 5 months before I finally gave up and traded it in losing well over $6k.

Apparently Trailmanor moved to Nebraska sometime in 2015 so be very cautious with any Trailmanor made after 2014.

"What's wrong with Trailmanor?"
They don't care, once when talking to Bob (the owner) about when my trailer would get repaired he said: "we're too busy making trailers we actually get money for".

Larryjb
06-18-2017, 12:28 PM
These stories are very sad to hear. I only hope that these stories are the exception and not the rule. TM has a really neat and unique trailer.

RottieMom
06-18-2017, 02:41 PM
Larry, it's sad, but I wouldn't buy any of the Nebraska-built units. I feel really lucky I found a new 2013 one back when I did.

HoMiPa
06-18-2017, 04:53 PM
These stories are very sad to hear. I only hope that these stories are the exception and not the rule. TM has a really neat and unique trailer.

I agree Larry. For those of us that have been happy TM owners for years (bought my 2005 in Aug of 2004), we know it has left a horrible impression on these people, which really is understandable, but sad, nonetheless.

I've had issues with mine, which can be frustrating, but the issues I've had were not the factory's fault, or any fault in the build - they are simply things that happened (roof creases due to snow load and/or tree limb while the trailer was at a relative's for the winter), or due to neglect on my part (letting it sit for several years because I simply had zero money and was just focused on not loosing my house). I am extremely grateful though, that I muddled through that without having to sell my TM. Now, I'm in a MUCH better situation, and able to enjoy it again. It's taken some work to get it back up to snuff, and in that process I decided to remodel as well, but when I tow the TM, I'm reminded of how beautifully it tows, and there is no other trailer as large that will come close to the ease of towing a TM.

momto4girls
06-19-2017, 09:48 PM
I agree Larry. For those of us that have been happy TM owners for years (bought my 2005 in Aug of 2004), we know it has left a horrible impression on these people, which really is understandable, but sad, nonetheless.

I've had issues with mine, which can be frustrating, but the issues I've had were not the factory's fault, or any fault in the build - they are simply things that happened (roof creases due to snow load and/or tree limb while the trailer was at a relative's for the winter), or due to neglect on my part (letting it sit for several years because I simply had zero money and was just focused on not loosing my house). I am extremely grateful though, that I muddled through that without having to sell my TM. Now, I'm in a MUCH better situation, and able to enjoy it again. It's taken some work to get it back up to snuff, and in that process I decided to remodel as well, but when I tow the TM, I'm reminded of how beautifully it tows, and there is no other trailer as large that will come close to the ease of towing a TM.

This is how I feel. My 2002 has a couple of minor issues--which is to be expected for the age. But as far as fit and finish--I'm more than pleased. Maybe I should knock on wood. I don't even have to use pool noodles for gaps. Mine just works. Yeah...I still look at campers. Sometimes I dream of "upgrading". But I whatever I look at in my weight range just doesn't compare with the space I have in my TM. No upright, full size TT has near the counter space or cabinet space. And the ease of towing is a huge factor.

My only wish is that I didn't have to strip the beds to fold the TM down. I have to take off all bedding plus cumbersome 2 inch toppers. Roll them up and find a place to cram them for travel. They are so bulky but make the beds SOOOOOO much more comfortable. I actually sleep better in my TM than I do in my own bed at home!

HoMiPa
06-20-2017, 06:36 AM
My only wish is that I didn't have to strip the beds to fold the TM down. I have to take off all bedding plus cumbersome 2 inch toppers. Roll them up and find a place to cram them for travel. They are so bulky but make the beds SOOOOOO much more comfortable. I actually sleep better in my TM than I do in my own bed at home!

Hmmm..... back in the day when I used the queen bed, I had an egg crate topper on, plus a puffy comforter, and didn't have to remover them. I now use the front bed, with an egg crate topper, and don't have to remove it either. Not sure if mine isn't right, but after adjusting the arms on mine due to it not being level side to side, it's easier to close and latch than it has ever been, and the extra on the front bed isn't a problem at all. Perhaps look at may adjusting all the arms just a tad, raising both shells up a bit, and maybe that will help?

momto4girls
06-23-2017, 12:15 AM
Hmmm..... back in the day when I used the queen bed, I had an egg crate topper on, plus a puffy comforter, and didn't have to remover them. I now use the front bed, with an egg crate topper, and don't have to remove it either. Not sure if mine isn't right, but after adjusting the arms on mine due to it not being level side to side, it's easier to close and latch than it has ever been, and the extra on the front bed isn't a problem at all. Perhaps look at may adjusting all the arms just a tad, raising both shells up a bit, and maybe that will help?

Sounds like a solution. I didn't know this was an option. But you sound like you are mechanically inclined. I am NOT. I am at the mercy of my husband (who happens to be very mechanically inclined but also WAY, WAY too busy to be bothered by optional stuff like the TM). If he ever gets a break from replacing brakes on multiple vehicles, fixing plumbing and electrical issues at our house, installing new lighting and ceiling fans, parenting 4 kids, full time job with travel, etc, etc etc, maybe one day I can get him to work on adjusting the arms. I'm surely not going to attempt it. ;) Example: one of our kids' cars currently has a blown head gasket. He's been spending spare time trying different temporary fixes and researching/looking for used engines. Finally taking it in to get the engine replaced tomorrow. $$$ Check one more thing off the list. And then add 10 more things 'cause it never ends! lol

HoMiPa
06-23-2017, 06:40 AM
Sounds like a solution. I didn't know this was an option. But you sound like you are mechanically inclined.

I am rather, because I've had to be - my house was built in 1820, and I am slowly renovating, one room at a time, which involves taking the room down to studs and floor joists, replacing all windows and all wiring, and rebuilding the whole room from scratch. I work full time, at a job with a 55 minute commute, one way. I have just shy of 7 acres to mow, or a very long driveway to clear of snow in the winter. I raise and butcher my own meat rabbits. And although my kids are 'grown', I've been doing all this as a single parent. Cars - don't even get me started.... my son's car has been at the shop since the end of Sept, so he bought a 'new' one. My daughter limped from western Massachusetts to Boston then home (2.5 hours north), with her passenger rear shock having pushed up through to the cargo area of her car. She now has my car back in western MA, and I'm driving the Bronco - the gas guzzler - to work and back every day, while her car has joined her brother's at the shop! It definitely never ends...... I am never bored.... LOL

Raci570
06-26-2017, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE=BobRederick;17635]Jess,

Check it out carefully. Go look at one. Sit in it and pretend it is yours. Set it up and take it down. Check out the bed, the refrig, and cabinets. I'm an ex-Coleman guy, so this is a great upgrade to what I am accustomed to.

Best wishes and hope to hear you as a new owner for the '05 camping season!

Bob,

Where can I find one to look at it? They're very hard to find at camper dealerships. I live in North Carolina right now.

Thanks.
Roger

LoveToCamp
06-27-2017, 02:03 PM
"Where can I find one to look at it?"

There are many listed in the For Sale - East Region section of this forum. At least one is in North Carolina. May be more, but not all have the state in the header.

tentcamper
06-27-2017, 04:22 PM
I think Nebraska is past the growing pains of a move , new staff and training, etc...

I would agree that the fist 1/2 to a year after the move there were some issues. But now I think they are up to speed.

HoMiPa
06-27-2017, 05:37 PM
I think Nebraska is past the growing pains of a move , new staff and training, etc...

I would agree that the fist 1/2 to a year after the move there were some issues. But now I think they are up to speed.

I sincerely hope so - I would really love to see this company succeed. There is nothing that comes close to it.

Don Freeman
06-28-2017, 09:50 AM
I am in the process of selling my 2417. Have decided to move up to a motor home. Have had the TM for about 4 years and it been bullet proof. As far as set-up, my wife 5'-3" has no trouble. Just pull from the middle. She can set up/take down in 15 minutes. We keep a check list handy to follow with set up and take down as its important that there is nothing left open to snag. Would encourage you to check out the TM.

I would like to have owners of TrailManor trailers to point out the negative features or operations or opinions they have discovered as owners of their
TrailManor.

I have been looking seriously at the HiLo trailers. I am very interested in
the TrailManor and am planning on visiting a dealer soon to see one in person.

What other negative observations do you have? I would appreciate total
honesty. I'm not looking for perfection. But I am a skeptical potential
customer. The brochure, for instance, shows a lady acting as if she is opening up a trailer; but it is not a video, so anyone could have pulled it
up and then had her stand at that position for the photo.

I am not trying to be negative, but seeking the whole truth in practical experience.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

JessWD

Larryjb
06-28-2017, 10:47 AM
I'm not so sure my wife would be able to open my TM. But, she has me squirt the duck cleaner into the toilet because she claims she cannot make it work. (That may be a ploy to get me to clean the toilet, however!) I know that at least one of my torsion bars have weakened over the years and should be replaced. It's actually quite difficult for me to open that one end. The rear end is much easier to open, and I can do it with one hand.

I think closing and latching the TM may be harder, but if you look around on the forums, a few have come up with ways to leverage it closed.

tentcamper
06-28-2017, 01:05 PM
It might just need an adjustment. also, if you lower the end you are opening it is much easier to open. rise the end to make it easier to close. ,

Larryjb
06-28-2017, 01:12 PM
It might just need an adjustment. also, if you lower the end you are opening it is much easier to open. rise the end to make it easier to close. ,

In my case, the adjustment bolt is maxed out.

The bigger concern is if I let if "fall down", it comes down with a clunk and tend to bind. If I hold up the weak side a little as it come down, it closes normally.

momto4girls
06-30-2017, 01:23 AM
I sincerely hope so - I would really love to see this company succeed. There is nothing that comes close to it.

Amen!

Lesherp
07-01-2017, 04:22 PM
I suspect it would be difficult to find a trailer that is perfect. We have friends that are on their second trailer now and say it is not built as well as the first one they had which was too small. I have made numerous modifications to eliminate or improve on problems the TM has. You can find solutions to most problems that bother you here. You can take a look at my pictures and albums here on the site to see what I didn’t like and how I solved the problem.

For me this is the only thing about TM I find a real negative that I can’t figure out how to fix are the high windows. DW keeps falling in love with trailers people have shown to us that have eye level windows. The latest the folding roof Safari Alta; before that an Air Stream. Both had expansive windows providing panoramic views. For me the tradeoffs for these trailers do not outweigh the benefits of the TM. Ultimately after consideration she has agreed with me for now. I have not given up on figuring out a way to raise the couch so we can see out the windows when the weather is not conducive to sitting outside.

TM is definatly not for everyone but don’t let some feature discourage you until you have researched solutions.

Mods not to miss in order of my favs:

Ultimate water bridge
Pastic on shower walls
Toilet vent (lil stanker)
2” memory foam on bed (able to close down with only blankets removed)
Fence post sewer hose holder

Shane826
07-01-2017, 06:29 PM
I like some of the bigger travel trailers with huge windows too, but my wife insists on keeping every curtain closed so it wouldn't matter. She keeps asking me about curtains for the window on the door.

Larryjb
07-01-2017, 07:35 PM
...but my wife insists on keeping every curtain closed so it wouldn't matter.

I know the feeling! ;)

kempert
07-02-2017, 06:11 PM
I've discovered that if I sit on a pillow, I can see out of the windows much better. A person shorter than 5'10" may need two. I really don't see how could place the windows any lower.

HoMiPa
07-03-2017, 09:47 AM
I also have envied huge windows in other travel trailers. But then I gave it a lot more thought. I don't have curtains or blinds on many of my windows in my home - I can't see any neighbors, and I have a two story carriage house between my house and the road - which is a gravel road with very little traffic. If I wanted to run around inside or outside my home, stark naked, I could, with little concern about being seen.

I have found that I sometimes feel like I'm in a fish bowl when at a campground. Probably because I am acutely aware of people a short distance away from my camper. I don't necessarily close the curtains though, because for the most part, if I'm sitting down, it isn't like anyone can see me below the window. Since I'm also on my own, I can even change clothes without closing the curtains, because no one could see from waist down, and I can sit down to change my shirt without anyone seeing that either.

After pondering it ages ago when I looked at the Lance with it's beautiful big windows, I realized the TM windows are absolutely perfect - the privacy to relax in a chair without anyone seeing in, yet the curtains can all be open.

I realize though, if I boondocked in remote areas, I'd probably want those massive windows. But honestly, the types of places I'd boondock, even the TM couldn't get in there, much less a large travel trailer- so it would be tent camping for me.

Lesherp
07-03-2017, 12:30 PM
I sometimes sit on something to see out but would prefer figuring out a way to raise the couch. I don’t mind the high windows when we have neighbors or limited view. Camping in close proximity to others if our last choice.

I think both the trailers I mentioned DW liked had tinted windows preventing anyone from seeing in.

Lol got me going now; next time the TM is out of the garage I am looking at the couch again to see what can be done. Seems like some kind of 2x4 lifts might be able to be put in place after setting up. I think I looked at it once but had limited time before a trip.

We don't always have a good view but we have had some spectacular ones and we had to sit out some rain in the #2 picture below.

Kidkraz
07-03-2017, 05:08 PM
Roger, where are those camp sites? Love your pictures and I agree, it would be great to be able to look out a larger window to see those beautiful sights.
Good job my friend, yer making me really jealous. I am not as good with the pictures as I would love to be. The first pic is Black Sands Beach, just north of Shelter Cove off the pacific coast. I played Uber driver and TM B&B for friends to do the 26 mile Lost Coast trail in.

Lesherp
07-04-2017, 07:34 AM
Kisraz pictures of all our campsites and pictures of the many hikes we have done can be see at my flickr accourt. A link is in my signature. Good place to find ideas for trips.

#1 is BLM close to Goblin Valley Utah.
#2 is BLM close to Kanab Utah where we stayed on our “wave” hike.
#3 is Rissers SP Nova Scotia (Sept. had it all to ourselves)
#4 is Hosmer Lake Oregon.
#5 is Agwa Bay Ontario.
#6 is St. Joseph SP Fkorida.
#7 is Cape Britton Highlands.

Bailey'sMom
07-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Roger, where are those camp sites? Love your pictures and I agree, it would be great to be able to look out a larger window to see those beautiful sights.
Good job my friend, yer making me really jealous. I am not as good with the pictures as I would love to be. The first pic is Black Sands Beach, just north of Shelter Cove off the pacific coast. I played Uber driver and TM B&B for friends to do the 26 mile Lost Coast trail in.

Where is pic number two? That is my kind of campsite. Love it. Looks like the. Big redwoods? Some day will get to west coast to see them.

Padgett
07-04-2017, 11:50 AM
How did we get from talk about the company to campsite pictures please ?

Lesherp
07-04-2017, 12:15 PM
Like most threads that go off topic it was kind of a logical progression…sorry about the hijack.

Kidkraz
07-04-2017, 12:37 PM
Totally my fault. Forgive me please.