PDA

View Full Version : Repairing outside shower hose

connecticut_camper_mark
04-22-2008, 08:26 PM
How do you repair a leaky outdoor shower hose? The plastic nut that is on the end of the hose that connects to the shower head has a crack line in it. Do I have to replace the whole unit or can I buy just the replacement hose?

Thanks!

countrygirl
04-22-2008, 08:31 PM
I will look at our outdoor shower tomorrow. If it is similar to the one in my last camper you can buy one I think for under 10.00 at Walmart in the plumbing supply and simply replace. Is the plastic nut on the end of the hose of the other end?

connecticut_camper_mark
04-22-2008, 08:36 PM
The plastic nut that leaks is at the end of the hose that then connects to the shower head. The big question is if I buy a new hose, then how hard will it be to connect the other hose end that is buried inside the camper somewhere near the tub.

Thanks.

commodor47
04-23-2008, 04:39 AM
The plastic nut that leaks is at the end of the hose that then connects to the shower head. The big question is if I buy a new hose, then how hard will it be to connect the other hose end that is buried inside the camper somewhere near the tub.

Thanks.

Mark,

That repair is fairly easy. I had a water leak in the cold water hose, where it attaches to the plumbing. Remove the 4 screws holding the shower door assembly in place. Using a utility knife, carefully score the silicone seal between the assembly and the TM body. The assembly should easily slide out. You should then see the hoses running from the cold and hot water faucets and where they connect to the TM plumbing. I used a small wrench to tighten the leaking hose. My unit is closed down at the moment. I will be opening it next week in anticipation of the New England TrailBlazers Spring Rally in N Stonington, CT. I can take a few photos, if that will help.

Dick

2blueranger
04-23-2008, 06:31 AM
The shower hose connects right between the hot and cold faucets on the back side of the shower assembly. One of my faucets broke and blew off while I was camping. I ended up going to hardware store and plugged the cold and hot water lines going to the shower until I can either fix or replace the faucet.

Joseph
04-23-2008, 07:02 AM
connecticut_camper_mark. . .

Had the very same problem this year. Got a replacement hose from Adam at Trailmanor. It is a better hose as it has metal fittings on it. You can also get the hose from other internet sources as it is a standard size. You will have to remove the outside shower assembly from the TM as described in the post from commodor47. It is not hard. Take your time. Clean all the old silicone off before you install the new. There is not a lot of play with the assembly due to the short lenght of the water supply hoses but there is enough to get in there and get the job done.

Good luck and Happy Camping!

connecticut_camper_mark
04-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Joseph & Melanie,

Thank you for the reply. I will find a replacement metal hose with fittings and avoid the problem of dealing with plastic hoses/nuts.

Thanks again!!!

Deb Mac
11-19-2022, 11:06 AM
I know - old thread but new owner :) Thanks for this. I have to cut off and replace the hose on mine - very old, very stiff and does not like going in and out of the storage space. Had a bear of a time getting it pulled out to winterize, and could not get the bugger back in. I need to close her up, but can't close the shower door, so can't drop the back end.

Now that I know what's behind the faucet assembly, and how to deal with it, I'll just cut it off, close the door and deal with it in the spring! Or possibly just cut it, cap it with a shut-off valve, and leave it!! I have never used an outdoor shower anyway, and it's just one less thing to have to deal with.

Kmikesell
11-19-2022, 02:33 PM
Ah spring.... When all those projects need to get done! Thanks for reviving this post

Deb Mac
11-19-2022, 03:16 PM
Ah spring.... When all those projects need to get done! Thanks for reviving this post

There are a few old posts I will be reviving and have brought back already I think. One in particular… raising the shell on the struts. I’m pretty sure mine are out of kilter. I’ve bookmarked 2 or 3 of those already. But till the snow melts (end April early May if I’m lucky) all I’ll be doing is creating the “to-do” list and getting as much prep work done as possible at home over winter.

Bill
11-19-2022, 04:51 PM
I know - old thread but new owner :) Thanks for this. I have to cut off and replace the hose on mine - very old, very stiff and does not like going in and out of the storage space. Had a bear of a time getting it pulled out to winterize, and could not get the bugger back in.I agree. The white plastic hose is ridiculously stiff, especially if it is cold. I'm not sure a metal one will be any better. But it is possible to buy a "wimpier" hose, as I had to do a few years ago. I don't remember where I got it, but it was a matter of going down the aisle, pulling every white rubber shower hose off the display hook, then squeezing it and flexing it right there in my hand. I looked in several stores, including a couple big RV stores, before I found one. Fortunately, shower hose fittings are standard - and they are the same diameter and thread on both ends - so when you find the one you want, you can be sure it will fit.

There is the same problem with the big shore power cord. When it is cold, shoving it back into the mouse hole is a challenge. I finally pulled it backward through the mouse hole entirely, and began coiling it up in the small compartment in the left end of the bumper storage area. Worked much better! Some South Dakota-built TMs have a removable cord. I don't like it much, but at least there is no mouse hole problem.

Bill

Deb Mac
11-20-2022, 10:32 AM
Seeing some good comments about this hose from Camco... https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-43717-60-Inch-Shower-Flexible/dp/B000OAEJ9O/ref=sr_1_1?crid=YBBMJRW9216G&keywords=Camco%2B43717%2BRV%2FMarine%2B60%22%2BFle xible%2BReplacement%2BShower%2BHose%2B(White)&qid=1668965036&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjM4IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjA uMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=camco%2B43717%2Brv%2Fmarine%2B60%2Bflexibl e%2Breplacement%2Bshower%2Bhose%2Bwhite%2B%2Caps%2 C448&sr=8-1&th=1 On my amazon wish-list. Don't need it now, but if it goes on sale I'll grab one. If I buy it now, since it's rather low priority, it will end up in the bottom of the "parts to work on" box and with my luck, I'll lose track of it.

Shane826
11-20-2022, 01:02 PM
I have that Camco hose. It works better than the original but it still gets a bit stiff if the weather turns chilly.

I’m trying to figure out a way to swap out the entire shower unit for one with a quick connect for the shower hose in the box. Something like this…

https://a.co/d/d7QjNSY

Deb Mac
11-20-2022, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the heads-up on the Camco hose. I thought it might still get stiff - it is plastic after all. I've seen those quick-connect assemblies. Looks like a nice alternative, but yeah - not sure how easy it would be to swap out. If the compartments or the faucet assemblies are the same size, I suppose it could work. Meanwhile, I have cut off the offending hose, and locked up the compartment. I'll deal with it in the spring, after all of the other things on the list :)