View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Default Major Revision to Original Thread

I have received the torsion bar and strut for TM and now that I see the parts I have a much better understanding of the lift system and what is wrong with the one on my 3326.

In my 4/20/2013 post I indicated that I thought my torsion bar 90 degree end had bent and believed it had a soft temper(heat treatment hardening). I now am certain that is not the case. My problem is caused by my strut being too high above the torsion bar and the torsion bar has twisted in the strut.

The attached pictures illustrate what happened. I will drop the strut down about 3/8" and it will then position the TB end into the space between the two upper bolts. I suspect the front shell got lifted in a storm last winter. It pulled the strut up to where it could twist below the top bolts. The left front strut is very close to the same condition.

I will be returning the parts to TM and especially thank Ed and Bob for the great product support. Before I return them to TM I will perform a test on the TB spring rate just to have that knowledge. Note also the threaded end on the TB. This is the end that goes inside the strut to improve the strut grip(I think this is a recent modification). The other end is not threaded and goes into the adjustment cage.

I will write more about this and what I am learning about the Lift System.

Jerry

P.S. Bill...I screwed up when I started this thread under FRAME. It should have been under EXTERIOR. Is it possible for you to fix the location? I will have a lot more to say on this subject as I progress through the study.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TB mockup 1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	555.2 KB
ID:	8314   Click image for larger version

Name:	TB mockup 2.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	552.6 KB
ID:	8315  
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote