View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
As I recall, you do NOT pull on any of the metal parts. You pull the thick end of the white nylon slide wedges toward you - it slides within the brass track, which is fixed in position. In your photo, I am not seeing the nylon pieces, which mystifies me.
Bill is correct. Those white nylon wedges are #6 in the bottom diagram here:
http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PARTS/P...8/Default.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
A couple of our members have reported that when they tried to remove their toilet, they found that the wedges had been installed backward. I take this to mean that the thick end was toward the back of the toilet, rather than the front. I'm not sure how it could be installed that way, but that is what was reported, and you are saying that it looks that way to you. In that case, you would indeed have to push the wedges away from you, and then reinstall them correctly when you put it all back together.
Bill is also correct here. I can see the nylon wedges in your photo (which you have labeled), and they were definitely installed from the rear of the toilet, probably before the factory attached the wall. If you look beyond that bolt, you should see the edge of the clip sticking up -- it's the only white thing that should be down there (the toilet is sand colored or whatever). To remove, take a flat-bladed screwdriver and place it on the part of the wedge that is sticking up behind the bolt -- give the screwdriver a few taps with the hammer, and you should see the two white parts under the bolt move backwards. This doesn't require he-man strength, but it isn't surgery either. Don't be afraid to give it as much force as you would in hammering a medium-sized nail. Once those clips are free of the bolt, you won't be able to push them back further because there is a stop back there. When that happens, you just lift up the toilet -- those bolts may catch on that bracket, so you may just have to wiggle it to get it free.

When you reinstall, you will move those wedges so you tap them in the the same screwdriver/hammer -- I believe you will have to reverse those tracks in which they ride, which are screwed into the toilet. Easy to flip.

Let us know how it goes!

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote