View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
pauloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Paul -

As I recall, you do NOT pull on any of the metal parts. You pull the thick end of the white nylon slide wedges toward you - it slides within the brass track, which is fixed in position. In your photo, I am not seeing the nylon pieces, which mystifies me.

You may find more info by getting the manual for the Electra-Magic Model 80 directly from the Thetford web site. The pictures (sketches, actually) are pretty clear.

A couple of our members have reported that when they tried to remove their toilet, they found that the wedges had been installed backward. I take this to mean that the thick end was toward the back of the toilet, rather than the front. I'm not sure how it could be installed that way, but that is what was reported, and you are saying that it looks that way to you. In that case, you would indeed have to push the wedges away from you, and then reinstall them correctly when you put it all back together.

Let us know what you find.

Bill
Hi Bill,
I checked out the manual, thanks:
http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PARTS/P...6/Default.aspx
and on page 7 (screenshot attached here) there is a line drawing showing the 2 little wedges (Item 4, they call them "slides"), and they look exactly reversed from what I'm seeing under my Thetford. In my photo (last post) where it says "front of wedge" you're seeing the "feet" or points of the slide/wedge aiming toward the front of the toilet. It's fuzzy and doesn't look like it in the photo but there's a slope there down to the points that should let the nut/bolt slide down as the wedges are pushed back. I cannot make any other sense of it, and unless I hear some other advice here, tomorrow I guess I will try pushing these away from the front. I'm glad you said others have reported this, I thought I was crazy looking at your tutorial and thinking mine were in backwards! I'll report back on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electra-Magic Model 80 manual page7.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	8566  
TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote