View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #16
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgermany View Post
I ran across this handy tool while researching. It's all metric, and the vehicle models are probably a bit different in most cases as they have more diesel choices than us, but I found it useful.

http://www.towcar.info/type.php

Chance
This is interesting and illustrates some fundamental differences between European trailering practices and North American. The site is primarily concerned about the total weight differences between the car and trailer.

It does not address tongue weight at all, perhaps because most Euro caravans have a very low tongue weight relative to the trailer. The axles are usually centred on the trailer. And they never use WDHs, as the tongue weights are so low. And so I guess the TVs are not really built for Weight Distribution (at least the Touareg says not to use a WDH).

What I really don't understand is why those rigs don't sway all over the place? Maybe it's the aerodynamics and being built close to the ground?

Over here, tongue weight, WDH and its effect on the TV payload is a very important part of the trailering discussion.