View Single Post
Old 11-07-2003, 12:44 PM   #6
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Jeep Cherokee and 3023

[quote author=jbeletti link=board=20;threadid=1513;start=msg10686#msg1068 6 date=1068214328]
By the way, last night, my wife decided on the 3023 over the 2720SD/SL. We will be pulling the 3023 with a Jeep Liberty. Hope it works!

Jim
[/quote]

Ok Jim, some advice:

1. A weight distributing hitch will be absolutely mandatory with the 3023. Not only should the Liberty's front not rise when hooked up, it should sink as much as the rear will. By thus adding additional down force to the front of the Liberty, you will gain some very badly needed steering (and braking) control over that long trailer.

2. Don't even tow one time before you have a heavy duty transmission cooler installed. I would also suggest you completely replace your transmission fluid with synthetic (Mobil 1 or Amsoil) at the same time. Synthetic fluids don't degrade nearly as badly when hot as fluids made from petroleum do...and they tend to run cooler to begin with. Also, never, ever tow in Overdrive if you're interested in transmission longevity. Lock out your overdrive...yeah, the engine will be noisier and your gas mileage will drop 1 to 2 mpg...but it'll help avoid an early death to your transmission.

3. I checked the specs on the Liberty's V6. That's a high revving, car type engine...your peak torque is at a fairly high 4000 RPM. Be prepared to shift down and use a lot of RPM (at least 4000) when going up hills...you will get your best performance and put the least stress on the engine by not "lugging it".

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote