Thread: Towing Concern
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 07:21 AM   #12
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Well it is true. When I was a kid, the only people with sixes were those who could not afford a V8. But then I grew up with Jags and Corvairs and Fieros and learned the differences between even fire and odd fire and the value of DOHC. My Reattae have iron 3800s and the Vixen a straight six 2.4 liter TD. All products of the 1900s.

Also have a V8, a warmed over iron 400 designed in the '50s with a 4 speed and posi for when feeling like going to a track but its purpose is not to be a daily driver. With a carb and point ignition it will also survive EMPs (though might need to replace the alternator's regulator)

Have an '06 Crossfire 6 speed (Fiero replacement) but the 3.2 liter SOHC FI 6 is really a product of the last century with fixed valves and an early variable intake to spread the torque curve. So something of a transition vehicle.

The '12 heep OTOH has a 3.6 liter DOHC FI engine with variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust. Only thing missing is direct injection but was not available on gas engines for tow cars in '12. This means 90% of the peak torque is available from below 2000 to over 6000 rpm. It can also run on E85.

Coming into 2015, the big thing will be DI which allows near diesel compression on trash gas. We are talking 200 hp/liter for a streetable car which is amazing.

So to stop rambling a bit, the issue is that for the same displacement a six produces more torque (towing power) than an eight and is easier to tune for more. Since a modern 3.5ish liter six now produces over 300 hp and has a very wide torque band, as far as I am concerned that is the answer. I also like the sound of a healthy six better than an eight as a side benefit. Do find a wide torque band coupled to an 8 speed lockup trans humorous. Though occasionally a granny first would be nice.

If someone wants to discuss why the above is true, perhaps a new thread under TVs would be appropriate.