View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Reverse polarity at the campground power pedestal

We all get reminded, repeatedly, about watching out for incorrect wiring at the campground power pedestal. I've done a lot of the reminding myself, in spite of the fact that over 14 or so years of TMing and hundreds of nights camping, I've never encountered it.

It finally happened. At a very nice KOA in Pennsylvania, we set up, plugged in, and settled down for a nice evening. As my wife was opening a bottle of wine for us, I happened to glance at the little 3-light tester that is permanently plugged into the outlet beside the refrigerator - and HOLY COW! - HOT and GROUND were reversed!

Reverse polarity is the wiring error that kills people, because the skin of the trailer becomes electrically hot, and you get a shock if you touch the trailer and the ground beneath your feet at the same time. Fortunately, our site had a base of nice dry gravel, so we didn't get even a tingle. The girl at the desk was skeptical when I went to the office to request another site, but the next moring the manager came to our new site, apologized, and comp'ed us for the previous night.

Point is, this can happen even in a well-established and high class campground. I have always kept that tester plugged into that particular outlet so that I can see it from outside the TM. And my rule is always to check it as soon as I connect power. And this time I violated my own rule. Not smart. IMO, everyone should spend $3 on this tester, plug it in permanently, and use it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote