View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
pnopper

Default Step built into rear cabinets

I have always thought the rear cabinets were awkward and a little bit tight for a big person. So the decision was made to start chopping up the trailer to suit my needs and personalize the trailer. My wife is only allowing me to make one modification at a time, and this is the first one. Actually two.

I removed the rear cabinet because it is just one more thing to set up when we get to our camping spot. Although it is an ingenious idea and looks great, it was just not adding enough benefit to our camping experience to justify keeping it, and now I have more shoulder room to turn around and more room to swing my legs while getting out of bed.

Changing the rear step: That darn plastic step blocks off the bottom two drawers and the back swinging cabinet door. I personally feel it is too much trouble to pick it up and move it to access the storage. My solution was to remove the bottom two drawers and the sliders associated with them. Next, I removed the rear cabinet door. Finally I built a step on a hinge to the back cabinet. See pictures.

What we gained:

1. We can now store my barbecue where the two drawers used to be. This is a big deal for me because I enjoy a powerful barbecue that I hook straight to the propane tanks up front. This type of barbecue takes some space to store, and now I have it.

2.When we get to the camp spot and the barbecue comes out, the storage space get converted to a hamper which was desperately needed.

3. We have a gas powered portable camp fire. That now gets stored under the step when underway. When we get to the campsite the under step space becomes easy shoe storage.

I was careful to leave enough space to stand in front of the step to allow for accessing the bathroom. This modification works great for us, so I thought I might share it.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150402_093831_resized.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	11393   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150402_095326_resized.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	794.0 KB
ID:	11394   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150402_095415_resized.jpg