View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 03:03 PM   #20
gjmaker95

I just finished doing what Folkie described. I took 3 of the fuzziest pipe cleaners my kids had laying around, bundled them together and fastened each end to some wire. Took off the "T" attachment at the top of the pipe and threaded the wire down through to the bottom, grabbed it and pulled the pipe cleaners back and forth through the chimney three or four times. They came out just as clean as they went in. I then blew out the chimney with 100 psi of compressed air. Just for good measure, I took off the cover at the bottom so I could see the flame really well when I fired it up. Upon starting the fridge, flame was nice and blue with an occasional yellow flicker. After 15-20 minutes, I went inside and sure enough, I could still smell the exhaust smell, which was particularly noticeable coming from the stereo/cd player unit that's mounted between the top of the fridge and the countertop just above.

So, I removed the CD player/stereo (intended to do that someday anyway as it was very low quality) and put foil tape over the opening. Slid the fridge back into place, went back outside and sprayed soapy solution on the gas connections at the back of the fridge. No extra bubbling on any connections. I rearranged the insulation and the aluminum diverter, put everything back together and went to have a cold one. Came back 30 minutes later and....no odor. Came back 1 hour later with my wife and had her sniff around...nothing.

I am glad that the odor is seemingly gone from the cabin, but I am concerned that I only patched over the problem. Thoughts?
300W Solar, Anderson WDH
gjmaker95 is offline   Reply With Quote