View Single Post
Old 05-01-2003, 03:40 PM   #6
camperboy

Default Re: Brake Controllers

When we bought out 1990 TM 26 (today's 3023) I opted for the Jordan Brake unit. It is cable actuated and after following the instructions for installation and adjustment I can't be happier. Drug our TM from approx New York City to Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, through Rocky Mtns and back again over the summer and it performed flawlessly. It takes a little more install time than the Prodigy but I still have some reservations about the Prodigy when using engine braking on long, steep mountain grades. While the Jordan unit is the only one I have used as driver, other rigs I have ridden in with other controllers (NOT Prodigy) were choppy. I suspect that either the Prodigy or the Jordan unit would leave you happy. My vote is for the Prodigy. Check our thier website at the link below, it is very informative.

http://www.jordanbrake.com

Concerning any controller with a digital readout:
The digital readout also let me know that one of our brakes quit working coming down a 10,000+ foot pass in Colorado. Got to the town at the bottom and discovered a broken quick-connector at the wheel under the trailer. I credit the digital amperage display with alerting me to the problem, allowing me to use additional engine braking and slower overall speeds to get down off that mountain to make repairs. The problem was absolutley NO fault of the brake controller. All of the connections are now soldered and heat shrink tube wrapped and then wrapped with black elec tape. Once was enough.

Outta breath now.
Happpy Trails
Camperboy