View Single Post
Old 03-21-2020, 06:50 PM   #10
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default The bargeman wires wires are separated behind the fridge, but I don't like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
Never looked at how the wire from the 7 pin connector is run? Is it run as one group to the power center (converter), or is it one group to the area behind the fridge?

If its behind the fridge? You could just add your wire to the connector that connects the 7-pin battery charge wire as it leaves group of wires, and connects to a wire that heads back to the power center. So you would end up with one wire going to the 7-pin connector, one going back to the power center and the new wire headed to the new battery.
Behind the fridge, the "trailer battery charge" wire goes into a wire nut with two other wires. One wire is #10 to the load center. The other wire goes up front, but not to the battery - it it is an alternate power source for the breakaway switch.

The issue which I don't like in your idea is this: "Trailer Battery Charge" is a special circuit, which needs to have a 30A fuse into the load center. Some Tow Vehicles allow 50A, which could burn the bargman cable insulation and create a fire or short circuit. The breakaway switch has approximately zero current. The oad center connector allows only 30A. But if you add "Trailer Battery Charge" into this wire nut, the Bargman could easily become overloaded - with (example) 22A into the front batteries, while also pushing 12A into the electric fridge through the load center connection.

You are basically creating a second "power distribution center" behind the fridge, with multiple power sources and two possible consumers, It might not actually blow up, but it becomes harder to trace and control when something breaks. I don't like it because it 'feels' sloppy and weird.