View Single Post
Old 07-25-2004, 09:32 PM   #10
jbeletti
Jim

Default Couldn't power TM with GFI power at campground

I camped at Siloam Springs State Park (near Quincy, IL) this weekend and was not able to power my TM for more than a few minutes at a time. The Park Ranger stopped by to check out the CG's electrical box/outlets and they checked out fine. He told me the 30 (and 20) amp breakers were GFI types (but the 50s were not). Using an adapter to try the 20, I tripped the CG breaker on it as well as the 30 (no access to a 50 in my site).

Anyway, we dry camped and I recharged using the tow vehicle a few times.

I was (usually) able to run the main breakers on as well as the first two and last circuit breakers but I was never able to run with the breaker on that said "Refconvt" or something written (poorly) like that. Perhaps the regrigerator element and the 6300 power converter (according to the TM manual).

My assumption at the CG was that I had a problem in the TM. Just got home a few hours ago, plugged the TM cord (with 30-20 amp adapter) into an extension cord into a GFI outlet on the outside of my house (per usual) and all circuits are holding so far.

Tomorrow, I will be testing and possibly replacing (for good measure - it's 20 years old) the outside GFI outlet on my house and a tip from this thread, I will be polarity testing all the AC outlets in the TM (and the one outside).

If anyone has any other tips for me, I'm all ears. It was pretty frustrating, not having power when I planned on having it, plus I fear I may have killed the battery as it got run down to dead at least once. I am half considering carrying a 12V battery charger in the TM for situations like this so I can recharge the TM battery from shore power using an extension cord. Beats running the TV for a half hour a couple times a day.

Thanks,

Jim
jbeletti is offline   Reply With Quote