View Single Post
Old 04-08-2023, 06:20 PM   #3
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default definitely not the camping world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Freswick View Post
Is this a good option to go solar?

I have 150 AMP (More like 100 AMP) lithium battery with a much bigger inverter, TM is locked up right now, I think it is a 3000 watt. Rewired everything with heavy duty wiring. So here is the online option that I just saw:

https://www.campingworld.com/nature-...tml?cgid=solar
That one comes with an under-powered inverter (which you have absolutely no use for). It also comes with a no name 'el-cheapo' PWM powewr converter, leaving a about 25% of the panel power in the panels,. A PWM controller is unable to use power which is delivered at higher voltage than the batteries. (The panels are probably around 18.5 volts, your batteries can't be subjected to more than about 14.2 volts. That's about 75% efficient).

Your one small battery maybe doesn't justify a the Solar Convert upgrade, but another battery could maybe make use of that last 25%. (You're lost efficiency with this controller on 4 panels is roughly equal to the full output of one panel, although the "wasted power" is occurring on all 4 panels equally.) Under clouds, you still lose 75%.

I'd buy 4 panels (less than $100 each), interconnect wire and mounting for maybe $80, and spend the remainder on a better "MPPT" type solar controller.