View Single Post
Old 12-03-2023, 11:48 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

That is a real nice hitch, and I would have no worries about buying it. It would handle the case where you need some rise (which I don't expect) to the case where you need some drop (which I do).

You have another option. Walmart generally has a display of simple fixed hitches in the Camping/RV section. You can get one for $25-35 including a 2" ball. You could buy one, and try it out at your current location and trailer load. If you buy one with a small rise/drop, and it is right, you are done. If it is the wrong hitch, you can either exchange it, or simply buy the right one. Either one saves you a few bucks. This may or may not be worth it to you, depending on how much time you have and how far away the store is located. But since you are far from home, and won't be able to load up the TM to full camping weight, this would give you some flexibility.

These simple hitches can generally be turned over, so you can use them in a rise or drop configuration. Be aware that on any given hitch, the rise and drop numbers are not the same. In other words, a hitch with 2" rise, turned over, does not have 2" drop.

There is one other thing that might make a cheap (disposable?) initial choice better. These Walmart hitches have a short shank (the part that slides into the receiver on the truck). This means that when you hitch up the TM, the tongue jack is close enough to the truck that you can't open the tailgate all the way. This may or may not matter to you, but if you find you can't live with it, you haven't invested a lot of money. Incidentally, a WDH may have a longer shank. Years ago, I used a Reese trunnion WDH on my first TM, and I don't recall having this problem.

Lots to think about.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote