View Single Post
Old 04-21-2024, 02:13 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Misslady -

It is important to understand that TM didn't make changes on a beginning-of-model-year basis, like car manufacturers do. The factory (in Tennessee at that time) often introduced changes during a build year, and it often took a year, or even two, to get a change fully integrated into the production line. So one 2002 TM might be a little different from another 2002 TM of the same model.

That being said, 2002 was a transition year for wood vs aluminum shell framing. My 2002 2720SL had aluminum. I know other 2002 2720SL's had wood framing well into 2003 - but I think it was fully integrated by the 2004 build year.

So to get to your question of wood or aluminum, you need to check the particular TM you are looking at. An easy way to do this is to use a flashlight to peek up into the lift arm slot on the lower edge of either shell. You may have to remove the white plastic lift arm cover in order to do this. But once you can see up into the slot, I believe you can see the frame material from there. Someone will correct me if this answer needs to be improved, and there are probably alternate or easier answers.

As to your other question - was 2002 a good year? Yes, it was. In fact it was the beginning of a busy 3-year period that went through 2004. During this time, TM introduced a number of nice changes and upgrades, building on the great configuration of 2002.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote