View Single Post
Old 11-08-2004, 01:16 PM   #10
rotor_wash
Site Sponsor

I'm with RMR. We do NOT use commercial campgrounds except as a dump station. I have yet to hook up electricity or water in a permanent camp site (80 plus nights so far) and rely on solar power and water carried in. I have serviced water with a 6 gal tote refilled from a hand pump and use many of the afore mentioned conservation techniques. In fact, I only carry a minimum amount of water to cut down on some of the weight going over the Colorado passes. That leaves more weight available for fine wines and good food. I typically fill the water tank at home to somewhere between the 3/4 and full mark, then from that, fill the water heater (helps prevent other disasters) and just enough for a minimum charge in the toilet. That leaves about 1/2 to 3/4 available for use. Plenty for a long weekend, especially if the hand pump is out of service.

As far as conservation, like Ray, I use real plates, silverware, and glasses because I like to. A good steak belongs on a real plate and wine is best from a real wine glass. However, a sandwich is fine on paper. Just wipe plates off well and use a dinner pot to hold soapy water. With a minimal charge of warm water, it does work for more than one meal. Grey water should never be cast back into the environment.

One other conservation or weight saving techniques is to fill the toilet to less than a full charge. With the addition of liquid waste, it quickly gets to the level required for the pump to work. Works great when the females in your party don't like using the vault toilet. I've noticed the last half of the gauge moves much faster than the first half. The Thetford has actually been more of a limiting factor when boondocking than water.

2002 3124KS
2007 Tahoe
Solar
rotor_wash is offline   Reply With Quote