View Single Post
Old 02-16-2005, 09:06 AM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default re Tires, Prodigy, and Trans Temp Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker67
Thanks for the advise on the tires, I am working on the conversion to the ones you recommended. I've talked with Toyota about the transmission temp gage and am looking for the brake controller (my local dealer does not carry that brand). Doug
Welcome on the tire advice...I can't think of anyone who has not really liked the Michelin LTX for towing.

As for the Prodigy...lots of places to get one....but you might want to get it at RV Wholesalers for only $99.99...that's about $40 less than at Camping World and other etailers. Plus I discovered that RV Wholesalers has the Toyota specific wiring harness for only $12.95 which means you won't have use the universal harness and do your own soldering/connecting to the Toyota provided harness. Another option is this Toyota specific Prodigy kit from BrakeControlller.com for only $124.95. The good news is that installation of a brake controller on any '03 and newer Tundra with the factory towing package is very easy and definitely a do-it-yourself job.

Am most curious what Toyota tells you about installation of a trans temp gauge...AFAIK this is not a dealer or factory option. I did my own installation of the trans temp gauge itself using an Autometer gauge and A-Pillar pod and had an independent shop install the gauge sensor in the transmision pan. If interested in doing your own, let me know and I'll send you a copy of a writeup I did for some folks at TundraSolutions. Just be aware that it's neither a simple nor an easy thing to do.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote