View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 06:00 AM   #14
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Exclamation Bearing maintenance is way overdue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn in TN
This looks like an old thread, but I hope someone is still around. I have owned a 97 2619 for almost 4 years and I have never greased the bearings! I tried to clean and pack the bearings on our popup every spring. I didn't think these EZ lube bearings needed much if any attention (and very little grease when neccessary). We have at least 10000 miles of use in these 4 years.
EZ Lube is not the same as the Nev-R-Lube.

Actually the EZ lube bearings need attention at least annually and, in some respects, need a lot more grease than a traditional bearing assembly. Considering how black the grease is that comes out when flushed using the EZ lube mechanism each year, I strongly suspect the grease in your bearings is in very bad shape and the bearings themselves are possibly suspect.

Quoting from Dexter's website FAQ
"The E-Z Lube option was designed specifically for the marine application where the axles are constantly being immersed in water. This feature provides a convenient method for purging the water from the hub cavity without having to pull the hub every time. The hubs should be removed every 12 months or 12,000 miles to inspect the bearings and it is imperative to replace the seal at this time to assure that the grease does not leak out the back onto the brake linings rendering the brakes non-functional. "

Since your trailer's bearings have had no maintenance in at least 4 years, I strongly recommend you disassemble your bearings ASAP for a close inspection, replace bearings/races/seals as needed, and then hand repack the bearings just like you did with the popup's bearings. Thereafter use the EZ lube mechanism at least annually to fully flush the old grease out and do a full bearing disassembly every 12,000 miles.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote