View Single Post
Old 03-30-2005, 08:51 PM   #11
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Corrosion/Oxidation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
The interesting thing is that (in my case at least), I don't recall having this problem when my TM and tow vehicle were new. Something has changed, or perhaps I have become more aware of what is going on. If I ever get my TM back from its new home at the repair shop/aka dealer, I will make some new measurements and post them. Should be interesting.

Bill
If boiled down to one word, that word would have to be corrosion. Or maybe oxidation (yeah, I know, that's just another variant of corrosion). Since your rig spends half the year in the wet, corrosive atmosphere of New England...where acid rain and salt air are common...and you make those twice annual treks across the continent (bet a lot of those miles have been in pretty wet conditions)...there has got to have been at least some gradual corrosion/oxidation in all those junctions that both TM and Ford engineered into your trailer/TV.

One of the things I have going for me is the relatively dry climate of Colorado (to us, a horribly muggy summer day is whenever the relative humidity exceeds 15% ). Furthermore, I try really hard to only tow on dry roads...which isn't as hard as it sounds since about 90% of our summer rainstorms occur in the afternoon. And we have almost no atmospheric pollution...in particular almost none of those nasty sulphur oxides. Stuff hardly even rusts here and electrical contact problems are exceedingly rare.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote