View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 10:43 PM   #8
BobRederick

Timberline,

I am working the same issue. The first step I took was to replace the converter in the TM with a Progressive Dynamics 9160. This will quick charge my battery to ~80% in 1 hour making the generator a very practical device. The model 6330 in the camper takes about 70 hours or something like that.

A charged battery will do you well overnight with no problems. Might even be good for 2 or 3 nites. It depends on the amount of lighting you run and getting to camp with a fully charged battery. There have been folk on this site running business from their TM who have calculated the power required by laptops, lights, etc and you can look that up. They figured how to maintain charged batteries with solar cells.

I happen to have a 2nd hand 700/800 Watt Honda older model generator and am making do with it. I tried it out a week ago and it works great. This unit suffices for everything you stated except the last two items. These Hondas are much more quiet than the units normally found in RVs. You just hear a small hum inside the TM, even if it is sitting right next to the rear end of the TM.

I am looking at a 600 watt microwave at Wal Mart for $40. Normal home ovens run about 1000 or 1200 watts. I would be very marginal in running that with mine, but a 1000 watt would run the smaller one. I am leaning in this direction rather than getting a bigger generator.

My 700 Watt generator weighs 65#. The Honda 1000 Watt weighs 29#. Think about that when you are lifting it out of the TV! The Honda 2000 Watt weighs 46.3#, still significantly less than my 700 Watt. The new ones are marvelous in power-to-weight.

The A/C requires 2800 or 2900 Watts. Honda has a hookup where you can connect 2 of the 2000 Watt units to get 4000 watts. It is easier to carry and would only be needed if you ran the A/C. That way, you could leave one home unless you suspected warm weather. Or you could buy the second one later. Your stated objectives lead me to believe you won't need the A/C where you are camping. You will be running the heater at night, but rarely need that A/C.

The larger Honda has self start and could be started with a remote control from inside the TM. Now wouldn't that be nice? But its 139# and thats a pretty good lift. Even for somebody in good shape. I don't think you need this size unit.

Yamaha makes a unit that is less costly than the Honda and slightly more noisey. I haven't been able to find one of them yet. I only know of a 2800 Watt unit from them, though.

Keep us posted. I'm interested in your findings as well.

Bob