View Single Post
Old 05-16-2005, 09:26 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We always cool down our frig the day before we leave and run it on 12V while enroute. From what I've read here it seems that you mostly need to run the fan when it's really hot outside. So far we've never had to use our fan on the road, and have always arrived with a very cold refrigerator (and things in the freezer frozen solid).

I love our TM refrigerator...having moved up from an "ice box" it's so wonderful to have this. No space taken up by a huge, dripping ice block, and a real freezer!

We keep the things that need to be kept really cold (like sandwich meats, fresh meats, hot dogs, etc.) right below the freezer. Below that we put the things that don't need to be that cold, like margarine, cottage cheese, eggs, yogurt, etc. The vegetables and fruits go on the very bottom shelf. And we pack it full. We've never had anything freeze that wasn't supposed, to, and have never had any spoilage, either. We always had to throw things away when we just had the ice box.

It works great for us; if we had a bigger refrigerator we would probably pack it with more stuff, but we really don't need it, and we have a family of 4, with 2 teenagers. We pack all the condiments we need into smaller bottles/jars and always have just what we need to cook our meals the way we are used to cooking. I also shop for small containers of condiments at the dollar stores, Big Lots, Grocery Outlet, etc. so that we have ingredients on hand unopened in case we need them (salad dressing, cooking sauces, etc.). Whatever we haven't used after a year DH donates to the local food harvest drive in November.

Love that TM frig!