View Single Post
Old 06-18-2005, 08:22 PM   #2
BobRederick

Bert

I had the same fear about the charging of the PD9160, that it would charge too fast for the battery. However, I am yet to blow the OEM 30A fuse. That could be because I haven't run my battery very low since installing the PD. I charge with an older 750/800 Watt Honda quiet generator. When I first plug the TM in, the motor pulls down significantly which is a big surprise to me. Even 30A (fuse rating) at 14V (PD) charging voltage is only 14X30-420 Watts which is well below the Honda output. This loading only lasts a half minute or so and the motor unloads for the remainder of the time. I don't have an ammeter to read the current into the battery yet.

I can't answer the question on pulling wire, but it can't be too bad. Thinking of my 3326, the distance is maybe 6 feet (tub to rear storage area) and if I had to, I could even go thru the floor with it and use conduit. I don't know where your battery is located. I don't think you will need to replace wiring in your TM. I don't think the battery charge will be affected much at all by short duration of the high charge rate I would be concerned about charging my OEM battery at 60A for very long as well. I don't think it would be very good for your golf cart batteries either, but certainly they would handle it better than the OEM battery. There is a rule of thumb for charging at a certain %Capacity that was described a few days ago... Probably by Rocky Mountain Ray.

If I was buying a generator, I would be looking closely at the 2000 Watt Honda. People are somehow using it to run their A/C. It will also run a microwave oven. For both these applications, I suspect the battery should be somewhat charged before starting either, the way mine pulls down initially.

The PD9100 series uses a high frequency chopper circuit and is able to function efficiently with very light weight transformers. My 60A only weighs 6# and the removed 6330 was 13#. The newer 7300 may use this technology also. I would look in the battery and see if it is bubbling. The 9100 really cut down the bubbling during all parts of the charge cycle. The 6330 kept bubbling forever best I can tell by watching it last winter.

You know that the PD9100 is a pretty easy install? You remove 4 screws, cut 5 wires on the old one, slide it out and slide the 9100 back in. It attaches to the same 5 wires. Great web info including pictures of this operation. I would recommend that over what you would be doing to use it externally as a charger. Nevertheless, I would use the OEM unit until I had good reason to replace it, rather than doing it based on the scanty numbers you will find describing these two units.

Better go. Best wishes.

Bob