View Single Post
Old 10-09-2005, 04:44 PM   #2
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default My vote - Use the fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnoll
I know that when the TM is closed and in tow, that you need to have the fan on while running the frig on DC to dissipate the heat.

I am one of the fortunate ones who is able to leave the power cord out with the TM closed, it clears without a problem.

What I am wondering is, if I decide to plug in to cool down the frig before leaving on a trip, is it OK to run the frig on AC while closed up without having the fan on?

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Dave,

The fan needs to be on to remove heat which collects at the top of the reefer compartment. I.e., where the heat transfer radiator grid is located. The fan pulls draws air into a common 3" dryer duct and exhausts it through a vent on the underside of the frame. The opening of the duct is next to the heat exchanger. Another vent next to the exhaust allows outside air to be pulled into the compartment to replace warm air which is being vented by the fan. [You indicated understanding the reason - I'm just revisiting the reasoning for other readers]

If the fan is off, with the trailer closed, the hot air has nowhere to go; resulting in poor reefer performance. I don't recall reading about more than 1 case of fan failure. It's very reliable.

I think it would be self-defeating, and not necessary, to have the fan off with the trailer closed and the either AC or DC powering the reefer.

Denny_A