Thread: Solar wanabe
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
PopBeavers

I keep reading everything I can find on solar and so far I have concluded that a Honda generator is still the best way to go. It is cheaper than solar and is independent of the weather and time of year. I don't think I could carry enough solar panels to meet even modest needs on the foggy California coast in January.

I will admit that I do need to either extract gas from the TV or carry some extra. So far it appears that I need to carry about one pint of gasoline for each day beyond the first two days. Backpacker fuel bottles work well. Solar would be a good choice for boon docking more than a week as that is probably as much gas as I am willing to stockpile.

What I want is a solar system that will meet my power needs at a cost less than the purchase price of the generator. Solar appears to me to be cost prohibitive. Sorta like buying a hybrid car. The ROI just isn't there (yet). Maybe some day.

I may experiment one of these days. but that would be more of a hobby than a serious commitment.