View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If your TM has a lift kit, then you can remove/replace the wheel without opening the TM. Also, it is not strictly necessary to remove the "fender skirt", but it may make the rest of the process easier. The skirt is held on with two screws, and those screws have square-drive heads. You should carry a matching square-drive screwdriver, and carry it in an accessible place.

If your TM does not have a lift kit, then you have to release the shells and raise them a bit (you don't have to raise them all the way). You also have to remove the fender skirt.

I hate cranking the stabilizers by hand. So I raise the TM using a 4-ton bottle jack (also carried in an accessible spot), and then lower the stabilizers with my cordless drill.

If you use a jack, note that it MUST be placed under the MAIN fore-and-aft frame rails, NOT under the side wing rails that run left-right near the wheels.

I have Good Sam ERS, and in a situation that requires towing, I guess it would be worthwhile. But I have found them to be incredibly disorganized, confused, and very slow to respond. So I have always changed my own tires. It just doesn't make sense to sit there for 4 hours waiting for a truck, when I can do the job myself and be on my way in 15 minutes.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote