View Single Post
Old 08-29-2006, 08:23 AM   #8
TakingTerns

Default You need more information

I don't want to be an alarmist, but I think some of you may not be taking the safest approach to this issue. My advice is to contact the TrailManor's Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Manager and ask exactly what material is causing the symptoms you're experiencing. The EHS manager should be well aware of what chemicals are used in making a TM and has probably had the same complaints from factory workers using those materials. Chemical suppliers are required by law to furnish an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for each of their chemical products. The MSDS discloses information on health and safety risks associated with the material it describes. Your reaction to the smell and irritation you're experiencing should be based on full knowledge of the material with which you are dealing. It may be possible to mask the smell of the chemical, but it is not possible to mask the health effects of the chemical. You probably know that carbon monoxide is odorless, but that it is also lethal. (You are NOT dealing with carbon monoxide here; that is only an illustration of the smell vs toxicity issue).

To put this post into perspective, I am not a TM owner - just a prospective owner at this point. I do not know what chemical is causing the irritation you describe so I cannot say whether or not it is toxic. Until my retirement I was an EHS manager in a plastics plant, though. Health effects are definitely influenced by the concentration of the material in the air. A hot trailer that has been closed will have a higher concentration of chemicals in the air than one that is cooler and is well ventilated. You need to take your complete circumstances into consideration.