View Single Post
Old 07-02-2002, 05:59 AM   #6
oilspot

Default Re: Any Equal-i-zer Brand Tow Hitch Users

My towing experiences are limited to only about 300 miles so far.  However, my experience was quite positive without a sway controller.

The fresh tank and thetford were full, but I dumped the grey tank before travel.  Speeds were typical for interstate (kept it below 80mph) and included crossing one mountain pass (Mounteagle, TN).  Used low gear to keep speed below 60mph on switchbacks.

Everything worked well except the brakes (which I found out last night were way out of adjustment... did you know they need regular adjustment?).  I had to make one panic stop in a construction zone and everything handled well despite the brakes.

I am just using a WD hitch.

On the flip side, my little Starcraft pop-up (12' box) used to sway all the time if I wasn't careful about loading it.  It was a bear to pull when fully prepped for boondocking.  I went to buy a sway controller and the RV guy advised against it because of the danger treating the symptom rather than the cause.

This is just my $0.02.  

I am only throwing hat into this because the trailmanor engineers told me sway controllers are the easiest way to flip a trailer.  Something I have no interest in experimenting with...