View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny_A View Post
My pigtail connection separated from my new trailer on our first trip. Dec., 2006! I discovered the problem at the Tennessee welcome center just after leaving KY! Bummer. The road had ground down the connection plug, shredded 2' of cable casing and bared 5 of 7 wires. Bummer.

Denny_A
And we've had that happen to us too, but in our case just the cable itself was apparently dragging on the ground and most all of the wires were ground down. We made a "quick" fix ourselves (there was an auto supply store nearby and we were on the way to Yosemite; we didn't want to waste time waiting for someone to come help us in Mariposa) but had it replaced when we got home. I don't know how long we drove along like that.

After that incident, we always travel with the trailer running lights/truck headlamps on. I'm constantly looking back to see if they're on, whether I'm driving or not. That way we can tell if the electricity isn't getting through to the trailer (at least to the lights), and that would mean that we need to pull over and find out what's going on.