View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 12:30 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Saturday was a drive down the coast a little further south. Saw gray whales, one killer whale, one sea otter with baby, basking in the sun while floating on her back in the kelp beds. Numerous turkey vultures. Saw deer and turkeys.

Took DW out to dinner Saturday night at Rocky Point Restaurant. Well worth the cost as a special treat. Restaurant had a great view of the setting sun over the ocean. Restaurant is perched on a cliff overlooking the sea. Watched the waves crash onto the rocks. After the sun sets the flood lights come on to light up the view of the surf.
What memories! About 15 years ago, I taught several short courses at the Naval PG School in Monterey. On one of the trips out there, I took my wife, and we went to Big Sur and Rocky Point Restaurant. Wonderful place, just as Wayne describes. We lingered over dinner, and finally came out of the restaurant about 11:30 PM - only to discover that we had locked the keys in the rental car. The restaurant staff found me a wire coathanger, but I was unable to get in. A locksmith said he would come out in the morning for $250. It was getting seriously cold, the restaurant was closing, and it was really dark. Finally I grabbed a rock and bashed in a rear side-window, which looked to be the least expensive one on the car. We got back to the hotel, got a goods night's sleep - and paid $300 the next day to have the window replaced. But you know what? This was such a magic place that our memories of the ocean and the restaurant far overshadow the car debacle. Everything Wayne describes is true. I would go there again in a heartbeat. And now, with a TM instead of a hotel, it would be even better.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote