Thread: Satellite TV??
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
grakin

I don't know about TV, although I suppose it works the same way as my internet satellite.

I couldn't find a place on the TM that I felt comfortable bolting a mast to, which also didn't get in the way of the folding mechanism. So I'm using a tripod mount. I set up the tripod, level it, point it in the right direction, and use what is basically a signal strength meter to find the satellite. It takes me about 20 minutes to set it up, although I enjoy setting up antennas and such (I'm a ham radio operator). I imagine sat TV is basically the same process.

I would highly recommend having a signal strength meter for the dish - probably cost you $100 or less, but will save a lot of yelling, running around, or whatever else.

I route the cables for the satellite into the TM from where the two shells join on the driver's side of the TM - it's leak free because water won't travel up the cables against gravity, and it can be done in a way that doesn't look too bad at a campsite.

Your other option is some of the (expensive) automatic antenna systems out there - you would probably want it professionally installed by someone who understands Trail Manors. They are nice, but expect to spend thousands.

Of course why would you want satellite TV while camping (asks the man with satellite internet!)?