View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Talking lower the carrier height WITHOUT welding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I would also like to see a non-welded mod that would lower the parked position of the carrier about 1/2" toward the ground. With a fully aired up spare, mine is so tight that it is VERY difficult to raise the carrier enough to engage the support bracket on the curb side.
I suspect that lowering either end of the assembly by 1/2" would be sufficient. But I don't see an easy way to accomplish it without getting a welder involved. Ideas?
Bill
Yes, Bill I now have the same problem-- and it's 1/8" worse than yours, I need to jack up the carrier to get the and then whack it with a mallet (my version of your kicking) to get the holes lined up to insert the stabilizers bolts (and their clips after insertion).

Here's the non-welding fix I'm gonna do after we get back from this trip:

On the CARRIER, cut off the two vertical bars (curb side), about halfway up. then drill two holes above and below each end by about 1". Cut holes in dual "extension plates" to provide a gap. (two for each of the current vertical bars will avoid torque force completely, although I might use only one). High grade bolts and lock washers, torque it up, paint, done. I think a 1/2" inch gap sounds about right for me, with the 1/8" plate added.

I'll provide pics when I do it, of course.

No changes