View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #1
James Knutson

Default Battery Questions -- Help!!!!

I've gone over many of the posts related to batteries, charging, and maintenance. I haven't quite found the one that fits my particular problems. But I'm a dunce with electrical issues.

First I need to explain my setup. I have a TM3124KS that my wife and I purchased used in November of 2006. It was a 2005 model. We purchased it from the dealer. It had the optional solar package installed from the factory. We have used it about 6 times -- 3 locally and 3 after long trips. Inbetween times it has remained parked in our driveway not being used for almost 6 months.

I've recently been experiencing battery problems. For example, when using the electric tongue jack it quit working after a very short time and I had to revert by plugging back into my vehicle to get enough power complete my unhooking process. Prior to that the trailer had been hooked up to RV campground power and to our vehicle power and should not have experienced this problem -- so I need to ask several questions:

1). How often does one have to perform battery maintenance on a battery that is connected to a solar array?

2). Dosen't the solar array always keep the battery trickle charged to full capacity?

3). What would cause the battery to appear to become discharged?

4). How long does it take for a deep cell battery to be fully recharged?

5). I've read in other threads that solar arrays are very hard on deep cell batteries. Is this true?

6). Should I take my battery back to the dealer and have him test it?

7). My wife and I haven't done any dry camping but prefer to camp in RV parks or State parks with hookups. If the battery is bad, what is the recommended replacement?