View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
ng2951

Default Buying TV rated for 6,500 lbs.

Well, I just got off the phone with the dealer. Got a good deal on a new Tacoma rated for 6,500. I really wished I could have found one with just the access cab and not the 4-door, but hey, it was only $400 more than the Tacoma that would tow 5,000lbs.

Here's what I got from my guy (a dealer, yes I know but I have bought 8 vehicles from him & he always had everyone beat).

If you staying mostly flatlands and doing lots of towing, he says the 5,000lb Taco will do just fine even without the cooler. Might work better, but will void the warranty. His belief is that Toyota is conservative with the rating, and it would probably be just fine up to 6,000 lbs.

The TO version gets expensive for several reasons. First off Toyota does not really offer them without lots of accessories. Second the towing package has lots of additional items and a class IV hitch instead of a class III. Here too he believes Toyota is conservative and the truck can probably handle loads in excess of 7,500 lbs.

So thanks to the people here and other groups that helped me wade through all this.

Nathan

P.S. Next we look for a TM! At least now I do not have to worry about what size...