View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lester2720 View Post
I had set up the TM(as shown in the jpg.below) plugged the cord into a 110 volt outlet, turned the A/C and frig on and left the TM for about a hour. When I went to check on things, I did not have shoes,ect. on grabbing the the hande I got shocked. note: It was not a full 110 volt but enough to make me put shoes on (Did not shock when wearing shoes). My concern is during camping and The TM would be set up on concrete should I run a ground wire from the TM to a stake in the ground? I would hate for my child or wife to get shocked on our first camping trip.(That would be the end to our camping career) LOL
This is a serious and classic camping problem: 110vac appliances work just great with the electrical supply wires improperly reversed, and you might never know the risk without testing the outlet. When it's power supply is wired backwards, your trailer is hot where it should be grounded, and grounded where it should be hot. In this, our TrailManors' aluminum structure also adds to the problem by providing lots of great conductivity everywhere. And yes, you could get electrocuted by grabbing any trailer object you could get your hand around while standing on the ground (the electricity causes your muscles to contract and you can't let go).

I discovered a protection plan by accident once when I went to Lowe's to buy a nightlight for one of our RV's, so that we'd be able to see just a little better on the way to the john in the middle of the night. The nightlight was $4.50, but the circuit tester in the next shelf over was only $3, so I bought the circuit tester instead. We still have that same circuit tester plugged in, and I can see the 2 green lights every time we connect to shore power (they also tell me when we've lost the shore power connection because the fuse has blown).

Your picture looks like this might be at your home. So when fixing the outlet wiring, I might replace it with a ground fault protected outlet while I was at it, since I'm prone to having adventures.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote