View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 12:04 AM   #17
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Mark,

I don't know if you were being facetious about "Brick" but if you really do have a brick opening, is there a chance of removing a couple of bricks so the awning can pass through??
No, it's really brick :P and, no, I don't think DW would approve of me removing bricks...plus, right behind the brick is the track for the garage door, which I'd likely have to replace as well, as the clearance between the tracks is about the same 8 ft 1-2 in. as the brick-to-brick opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Another option is don't buy the awning.

Our awning broke after two years. So for the next two eyars we have been using a free standing awning. We like it better because we can move it anywhere we want, like over the picnic table.
I thought about that, but someone above points out that the awning only effectively adds 1 inch to the overall width, since there are lights that stick out as well. I'm not sure the extra inch is enough, but I can be convinced... I have been eyeing a stand-alone awning/room set-up which goes next to the trailer--have read that you can't leave the awning open when you leave, etc, for fear of wind damage, and many suggest a separate structure, so the awning loss may not be the biggest deal...but if it's not going to make the difference, it's not worth the loss, imo.

Too bad the awning can't be modified to flip-up, somehow. Likewise, the lights that stick out...but I don't know what they look like, so I can't even imagine a solution like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdennert View Post
If you park on the 16' opening you can angle it back into the corner a bit and park a car on the other half.
I thought about that, but even if I get it all the way against the wall, the car that needs to be parked in the other half is a minivan, and the amount of clearance for the doors, while possible, would be quite tight, and probably enough of an annoyance to make this position very undesirable, especially when trying to load the twins into the van. At least, if my tape-measure measurements and space estimates are to be believed.

If I could fit it in width-wise, nose-in might even be a better fit, which would mean some kind of winch inside the garage to slowly guide the trailer in. Nose-out would need a power dolly. Never an easy situation, it seems

Marc
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote