View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Lars -

Your signature has always said that you've done this mod, too. But I don't think you wrote it up - or did I miss it? We would welcome any tips or knowledge that would make it better or easier.

Anyway, when you go to Lowe's, Home Depot, etc, to buy the snapper and the electrodes, you'll find that they have two different kits on the shelf. One has a snapper, a short electrode, and a bunch of mounting hardware. The second has a snapper, a short electrode, a long electrode, and a bunch of mounting hardware. The first kit is labelled as being for a single-burner BBQ, and the instructions say to connect the electrode (red wire) to one connection on the snapper, and to ground the other connection on the snapper with the black wire. The second kit is labelled as being for a BBQ with two burners (a "main burner" and a "sideburner"), and the instructions say to connect one electrode (red wire) to each connection on the snapper, and discard the black wire. In this way, the pulse from the snapper runs out of the snapper, down the red wire to one electrode where it sparks to ground. It continues through the ground (the stove body) to the second electrode. There it rises and sparks to the second electrode, and runs back to the snapper through the second red wire, completing the circuit. In other words, the electrical pulse is split between the two gaps, and neither spark is as hot as it would be if there were only one gap. As a result, the gap adjustment is a bit fussier.

When I did the original oven-only mod, I bought the first kit mentioned above. The short electrode was kind of difficult to mount and adjust, though I managed it and it has worked fine. When I decided to add the stovetop to the mix, it was clear that I needed the long electrode, so I bought the second kit. So I ended up with two snappers, three electrodes - two short and one long - and a bunch of useless mounting hardware. If I were starting from scratch, I would buy two of the second type of kit, giving me two snappers, two long electrodes, and two short electrodes. Discard one sanpper and both short electrodes.

Incidentally, I think there is enough space on the front apron of the stovetop to mount a second snapper if you find you need a hotter spark.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote