Thread: Tow package
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
PopBeavers

Default Wet and loaded weight of TM 2720

I have a 2005 TM 2720. This is a little bigger than yours, and therefore a little heavier as well. I have the roof a/c, side awning, optional 40 gallon water tank, hanging cabinet over sink, microwave drawer, swing tongue. I do not have the TV antenna.

On a trip during my first year of ownership we went on vacation for a week. I loaded it with everything I could thing of that we would ever take with us. I wanted to simulate a worst case scenario, because along our way was a convenient scale to weigh it. Besides the normal food, dishes and clothes, I also had in the TM:

Honda 2000 generator
free standing canopy
7 camping chairs
1 camping lounge chair
3 folding camp table
full load of water
empty holding tanks
nearly full pair of propane cylinders
plus other stuff that I no longer recall

The TM axle weight was 3380 pounds. This is 120 pounds below rating. I did not weight the tongue. My best guess is that the total weight of the wet and loaded TM was 4,100 pounds.

The only way you could make a TM 2619 heavier than that is to take a rock collection with you.

Do be aware that if you load it up as much as I do, then I think it is even more important to pay attention to tire pressure on the TM.

The specification chart at the TM website does document a weight for a fully loaded TM. I assume that means if I load it up past that then I am beginning to get into uncharted territory.

The TM website lists a dry weight of 2673 and a load capacity of 1350. I believe that means the design limit for a fully loaded TM 2619 is 4023. Right about where I am at with my 2720.

You should be fine with that.

FWIW, as a general rule of thumb, for a trailer used for camping (not full time living) the weight of the extra stuff runs around 1,000 pounds. In my limited experience, that is a good estimate.

It certainly is possible to load it with less stuff, but I am unable to do so.