View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 05:05 AM   #4
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
I'm just curious.....why would you need a WDH with an F150??

Wayne, a WDH really helps even a F150, and might even be a necessity depending on the tongue weight and hitch.

Case in point: With a 480 lb. tongue weight on my 2720, it added 700 lbs. to the rear axle of my 2006 F150, and took 220 lbs. off of my front axle. Then I added another battery to the tongue, and usually traveled with a full water tank, which probably brought the tongue weight up to the vicinity of 550 lbs. Of course the WDH took take of that beautifully. But......the 550 lb. tongue exceeded the weight carrying capacity of the Ford hitch, which had a rating of 500/5000 lbs (tongue weight/trailer weight), but was well within the 990/9000 lb. weight distributing rating.

My DD and SIL have an older F350, and I believe that they have the same hitch and ratings, so even that heavy duty truck would "need" a WDH if they were pulling my TM......because of the heavy tongue on the TM and the low rating of the hitch. They pull a light duty Jayco, and still use a WDH.....it makes for a much better ride and safer trip.

BTW, their F350 has a lower tow rating than my F150, with the same engine, transmission, and final drive ratio......go figure.