View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANETT View Post
When at the camground I was sitting and noticed a line looping low below the gas tanks on my 2619 hitch. Yup it was the gas main and had been scrapped badly by the road. It is abraided for about a 1 1/2 - 2 inch length.
Has anyone ever had these repaired? Or does the whole line need to be replaced( that looks expensive). If repair is possible do we need to take it to a Trailmanor dealer or just to a propane expert.
Honestly last year we turned on the gas to check the stove after we bought the unit, haven't needed it since, but we are heading north in a couple of weeks and may need gas heater.

Thanks Janet and George.
I picture would help greatly.

If it is what I think it is, it may be easy to just cut the copper tubing just before and just after the scrape and install a new piece with compression unions. You can get them at any hardware store.

You may even be able to cut out the bad piece (use a tubing cutter) and just pull the 2 cut ends together and use 1 union (if there is enough slack in the tube). Just be sure not to kink the tubing anywhere, if you pull on it. If it was hanging down, My guess would be that you may have plenty of slack to just cut out the bad part and install one union.

Don't tighten the fittings too tight. When you are finished, mix a glass of water with 5-10% dish soap (not dishwasher detergent). Turn on the propane and spill the soapy water over the fitting and check for bubbles (the bubbles will be big, growing and obvious if there's a leak). If you get bubbles, tighten the fittings 1/4 turn and check again.

Here's a "How-to":
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/cutjoincopperpipe
Read the section on "Compression fittngs". It's really VERY simple. If you don't have a tubing cutter, they are about $5 at the hardware store that sells the fittings.

You'll need to bring the cut piece of tubing to the h/w store to get the correct size fittings (and tubing, if needed).

You just need a small tubing cutter: