View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #7
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I'm very impressed. That's a nice-looking installation. I would never have dared to try it - I would have guessed that the weight of the microwave would have ripped the side out of the wardrobe. How much does that microwave weigh? Did you do any interior bracing?

Two lengths of slit foam pipe insulation, pushed over the front and back edge of the shelf, might take care of both the front-to-back sliding and the head-bumping problems.

Bill
Thanks! This is a fairly light microwave (I'll try to weigh it sometime for reference) but the shelves haven't budged. I attached that horizontal member via 3 wood screws to the bracing bar which internally runs across the top of the wall of the wardrobe. It was pure serendipity as to how it worked out, and the screws I used *just* poke through, so I know they're giving maximum hold. Since that bar was already there, I didn't see any need for additional bracing, and so far, so good. Distributed over the 3 points -- one of which is behind where the interior hanging bar connects -- seems to be enough of a spread that the wardrobe shows no obvious signs of flex or weakness. Since it's a part of the existing structure, I think any strain is distributed around pretty evenly. Most of the force should be downward at the screws, and the ends of that internal bar are already supported on each end by vertical members (to hold the wardrobe together structurally). In addition, the vertical metal bars are resting on the outside of the wardrobe right where the internal corner bars are, so nothing is putting any pressure on the thin walls of the wardrobe at all -- any and all forces are on the structural members internally. Time will tell how well it holds up, but it seems quite sound and solid.

Pipe insulation is an excellent idea, I'll definitely pick some up next time I'm at the proper store. Could probably get a little extra for under the bed at the same time...
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote