View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
jferrarello

My thanks to everyone for the feedback and education. I’ll be tacking the problem this weekend and think I’ll start with HarveyRV’s advice on first finding out the condition of the underlying structure. I think that will dictate what type of fix I have to employ. I do like the idea within the thread that Commodor47 linked to where an added metal plate was attached to reinforce the stirrup attachment. However, this will only work if the inside structure is sound. Bill’s linked thread also had some good info on other possible fixes. All in all, I now have enough information to have at it.

Ah, another TM voyage of discovery. Gotta love it.

This was also a good lesson in search terminology. Had I known that this part of the latching system is called the stirrup, I'd likely have found the links you all pointed me to and wouldn't have had to start this thread. Which got me to thinking how helpful it would be to have some photos or illustrations of various views of the TMs and a glossary of terms used on the various parts. But searching on the term glossary returned one hit and its use was for Toyota towing issues, so I assume there’s nothing in these forums. Then I got to thinking about whether or not the TM factory has any kind of exploded illustrations (of the kind that auto parts and model assembly instructions have) that might help. Anyway, just a thought.