View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I used one of those "dump-in" lubricants once, and it didn't work very well. For any pour-in product that has flowing viscosity, I just don't see how it can provide any benefit after you dump. It would seem like you'd have to use it every time you charged the toilet, and I have no interest in doing that.

I think one of the primary reasons the toilet dump valve gets to the point where it leaks is because the seal deforms, and it does so as a result of the gate valve being forced up against it. I think it deforms, instead of conforms, because it is not lubricated. So I think there are practical reasons to keeping the seal lubed other than just for ease of operation.

About 12-18 months ago when I had the toilet removed to replace the seals on the EZ Slide Valve (the second time in less than a year), I generously lubed all the moving parts (except the handle) with Dow Corning 111 Valve Lubricant and Sealant. I thought I got the recommendation to do so here, but I couldn't find any mention of the stuff with the search engine. In any event, it works beautifully. The valve still slides like it did when I lubed it, and there has been no seal deformation. Highly recommended. I think it is designed for use in valves under very high pressure, so while it may be overkill in this application, it seems like a sure-fix. I don't think you'd be able to lube it adequately without taking apart the valve.

It has roughly the consistency of Neosporin....maybe even petroleum jelly. It comes in packets, toothpaste-sized tubes, and caulking tubes IIRC. I got the toothpaste-sized tube for ~$15, and it will undoubtedly last me as long as I have the trailer.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote