View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #16
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post
I haven't actually tested the available Amps from my Tow Vehicle with larger size 12v charge wire so take my experience as what it is.

Since buying the TM we have had same problem even on a short trip. The battery was too weak to even run our tongue jack when we arrived. So I tested the battery & acid finding both were ok. This led me to the assumption that the fridge & fridge fan was just too much for my alternator to keep the battery charged.

However recently I replaced the crappy fuse holder & wiring with a heavier more robust setup. So what happen next was a surprise we went on our Thanks Giving Day Trip & arrived at camp ground expecting as usual to need to keep the tow vehicle hooked up during leveling with tongue jack.

But we ended up with a good charged battery that worked fine. Now if I remember I plan on testing voltage when we return home just to see how well the battery is charged after a road trip.

Really the way TM connected my wiring was in a word DANGEROUS IMO that is. I should have investigated it more when first purchased based on a few comments I read here but I kept thinking surely the guys are just overkilling since a manufacture wouldn't do something totally wrong. Now we love our TM but I have found a few potentially bad issues with it so I no longer assume they are correct on the way they build it.

Ps. This is a very easy & inexpensive mod so it might be worth trying & even if it doesn't solve your issue is a good mod to have IMO.

I used an audio quality larger fuse holder which I may change to a 12v heavy duty breaker in the future.

I also used marine grade wire to go to the battery.

And last I shielded the fuse holder from weather.

Oh & I also noticed the Ground wire was corroded & not making a good connection so I cut it & reconnected it to frame. I plan on weather proofing this connection sometime soon also just didn't have time before trip.

Now all this will doi nothing if you are using a small gauge charge wire though which if you aren't mechanical can get a bit more technical to fix.
I used a battery isolator to feed the charge line on our coleman pop-up plus when we stopped for a meal I would turn the refrig off. Since the TM refrig controls are all inside I plan on installing a switch in a weather proof box under the TM to turn the refrig and fan on/off, also I need to upgrade the wiring from the TV to TM charge line. The fuse problem in ours wasn't done at the factory, it was done at the dealer. A 30 amp breaker should be good unless you plan on installing a big inverter at some time.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote