View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 05:42 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I would not expect an inexpensive 18-volt drill, like my Makita, to actually lift the TM. It is great for running the jacks down in a hurry, and mashing them a turn or two into the ground. That stabilizes the trailer, but does not lift it. And it is great for running the jacks back up in a hurry. But lifting? Why?

If the trailer needs to be levelled, we do it by pulling it up on blocks with the tow vehicle. Quick and easy.

If I need to change a tire (done it many times!), I lift the frame 6 or 7 inches with my hydraulic bottle jack (an easy lift), then run the stabilizers down to the ground with the drill. Often that is enough of a lift, but if it is not, I lower the bottle jack while the trailer is being supported by the stabilizers, put blocks under the bottle jack, lift the camper a second time with the bottle jack, and lower the stabilizers again. Two lifts is always enough. And by using the hydraulic jack for the heavy lifting, and the drill-powered stabilizers just to hold it once it is up, there is no strain.

I still carry the crank handle in the rear bumper compartment in my TM, and I admire it every time I open the compartment to get the sewer hose out. But I've seldom used it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote