View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
Bigbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'm familiar with the Yankee Smokehouse as I have family in E. Wakefield and have been going up in that area every year to visit family. My finger licking, tender, smoked BBQ ribs, smoked Boston Butt and chicken and beef brisket beats the Yankee Smokehouse hands down and I'll be BBQing when I'm up there )
Sounds great! What time should we be there?

Kidding aside, I have a long history with Wakefield. When I was a kid, we had a camp on Great East Lake off Witchtrot Rd., about a mile west of the Maine state line. We stayed there during the summer until my mom had health issues in the late 60's. We used to go to Sarah's Spa, the local soda jerk and general store in Sanbornville. Great place.

My dad's cousin, at about the same time, bought a huge parcel of land in E. Wakefield, dammed up a river where there had once been a pond, and formed what is today known as Belleau Lake, and built many of the cabins around it.

In 1989, I returned with my family and camped as a seasonal at Lake Ivanhoe campground for 10 years before moving to the west coast. We used to frequent places like Poor People's Pub, the Cuckoo's Nest, and the Pine River Steakhouse, as well as the Yankee Smokehouse and a few other places. I was an avid bass fisherman and used to fish Great East, Lovell, Balch, Belleau, Wentworth, and Winnepesaukee.

We do miss that area, except the black flies and mosquitoes!