View Single Post
Old 09-16-2003, 03:10 PM   #7
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Hose on top of the water tank leaks when filling.

Quote:
Then it is hard to get out. It just accumulates over time. Maybe it's not enough to worry about if you never drink the water.
Bob, I share your concern...the inability to fully and completely drain the fresh water tank is, IMHO, a design weakness of the TM. And since I almost exclusively do boondock camping...and almost by necessity have to use that tank for drinking water...it is something I think about. I do my best to always fill it with as pure a water as possible (and religiously keep the fill cap on when not filling it), but that water is coming from campground water supplies and I'm sure the occasional bit of dirt and grit do wind their way into the tank. Being that I almost always camp in the mountains, the water is much less likely to have mud and other nasties in it than if I were camping elsewhere...mountain well water is very pure. Another advantage of mountain camping...at least here in relatively arid Colorado...is there are really very few flying insects, hence insect contamination probability is very low.

The only way I've hit on to remove at least part of that accumulating sediment (hopefully most of it) is to always open the drain valve just as I'm leaving the campground and then count on the sloshing that occurs while enroute home to suspend the particles long enough to be carried out the drain. Does it remove all sediment? Probably not. Does it remove most of it? Probably, especially since my tank is seldomly left in a filled state for more than a 2 or 3 days so the sediment doesn't get to harden on the bottom.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote